Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I just saw on BBC news that the Clink restaurant (part of Brixton prison) is now doing deliveries up to 5 miles. The drivers are recently released prisoners and it means the kitchen training program can carry on. Great news! Definitely going to support this. I've eaten there a few times and the food was excellent

I just saw on BBC news that the Clink restaurant (part of Brixton prison) is now doing deliveries up to 5 miles. The drivers are recently released prisoners and it means the kitchen training program can carry on. Great news! Definitely going to support this. I've eaten there a few times and the food was excellent

If you work out how it works let us know. I was going to order from them yesterday and the available slots were 10am-5pm (no narrower) with the earliest on 5 August.

Edit: just seen from the Buzz article it’s a two hour slot confirmed on the day. That doesn’t really work does it? I want my dinner at dinner time.

From what I understand the food is packaged so you put it together and re- heat/cook within 48 hours of receipt. Not exactly Johnson’s ‘oven ready’ but probably better than some fall apart, like warm take-away s,

Wet for a meal in Khans tonight and have to say they're really not messing abut with the safety precautions. Staff in visors and gloves, socially distanced tables, temperature test and pretty much 10/10 for making us feel safe.

Dogstar has finally reopened but obvs it's going to be a lot different than what it was on weekends.
We are delighted to announce the reopening of the Dogstar on Thursday the 13th August following the lifting of some lockdown restrictions. We shall be adopting the latest Government guidance and so you may well find that certain things will be a little different in terms of how the pub operates, however despite the very necessary new whistles and bells and a reduced product range, the essence of a good local public house will be very much to the fore.

The safety of our staff and patrons will as ever be paramount, and with the guidance being a little new, I do hope that you will forgive us the inevitable teething issues. We are working really hard behind the scenes to make it all right on the day, but without you we are nothing, so I do hope that you will pop down and see us.
Still no news on the Effra Social.

Wonder how many Dogstar regulars will be put off by Antic's significant price increase on drinks? Id imagine on weekends many in there are too drunk to care about being charged over the top but theyll surely struggle now outside of those times.

Wonder how many Dogstar regulars will be put off by Antic's significant price increase on drinks? Id imagine on weekends many in there are too drunk to care about being charged over the top but theyll surely struggle now outside of those times.
Maybe the prices haven't gone up in all their bars, or they will be cheaper in the days?

As a club, their prices are pretty competitive compared to some/most of Brixton late night venues but given the Dogstar is rarely that busy in the days, they;re going to struggle if the prices are super high.

That said, there was no shortage of people queuing up to by Brewdog's expensive beer when the only option was to stand in the street.

Anyway the Dogstar was very much shut tonight, so who knows when they'll actually be reopening.
13th august. Been wondering what they’ve been doing in there with the building work, whether they’re changing stuff around for social distancing stuff or just general refurb

13th august. Been wondering what they’ve been doing in there with the building work, whether they’re changing stuff around for social distancing stuff or just general refurb
Looks like I was given the wrong info by their last manager (yes, there's yet another GM starting there when it reopens!).

Why such hate? If it closes it'll almost certainly be replaced but something way more expensive and wanky.
Unpaid invoice for project work undertaken by a good friend, only for that 'side of the business's not exist anymore when action was taken.
Said friend chased and chased to no avail. Lots of stress and cost him his relationship due to said stress.

If it gets replaced? Good, maybe by a company or individual that is run more professionally. Antic are cowboys.

But then if it replaced, I am sure that will give the vocal section opportunity to criticise more.

Unpaid invoice for project work undertaken by a good friend, only for that 'side of the business's not exist anymore when action was taken.
Said friend chased and chased to no avail. Lots of stress and cost him his relationship due to said stress.

If it gets replaced? Good, maybe by a company or individual that is run more professionally. Antic are cowboys.

But then if it replaced, I am sure that will give the vocal section opportunity to criticise more.
I'm sorry to hear of your friend's misfortune but I'd rather an affordable and sometimes decent bar/club remains than another bland, cash-in corporate rolls into Brixton. I think we've got enough of them already.

And if it is replaced by an unaffordable, divisive trendy bar catering for the 'haves,' why shouldn't the local 'vocal section' criticise it?

I'm sorry to hear of your friend's misfortune but I'd rather an affordable and sometimes decent bar/club remains than another bland, cash-in corporate rolls into Brixton. '

someone being skanked out of money owed and the resulting personal fall out is not just a “misfortune” tho’ when shit could have been avoided by the company simply coughing up.

Last edited:
someone being skanked out of money owed and the resulting personal fall out is not just a “misfortune” tho’ when shit could have been avoided by the company simply coughing up.
They couldn't pay up because they went into administration, and were then bought out by another company, albeit one that looked remarkably like the previous one.

I don't know your mate and it sounds like he had a really shitty time of it seven years ago, but that's not going to make me want the place closed down forever and inevitably replaced by yet more gentrifying, mono-cultural, unaffordable shit.

I posted some years ago about the fact that many Antic pub staff had to submit claims to Employment Tribunal in order to get wages owed. I doubt things have greatly improved for their workers.
I've worked with a lot of their staff in several of their venues and haven't heard of anything like this happening - at least not in the last five years. They're definitely not a five star employer though. Like most of the hospitality industry, workers generally get a shitty deal.

How anyone can try and defend Antic and their ‘antics’ (apologies) is beyond me

if a Nu-Brixton enterprise behaved like they have there would be no hearing the end of it.

The hypocrisy is amusing.

How anyone can try and defend Antic and their ‘antics’ (apologies) is beyond me

if a Nu-Brixton enterprise behaved like they have there would be no hearing the end of it.

The hypocrisy is amusing.
How is stating that their workers get a shitty deal 'defending' the company? If you look back in previous threads, I've had plenty of criticisms about Antic - but it's the same story for just about every venue I've ever worked for.

But just because your unnamed mate had a shit time with them 7 years ago, I don't see why I should automatically be expected to want them closed down forever and (inevitably) replaced by some yuppie unaffordable shit for the nu-demographic.

Anyway, regardless of what you think of the company, they're reopening on the 13th with a new menu (note the new 'Atlantic Dogstar' name). The place has been entirely stripped out inside so I guess they're going for fully screened tables when they open. Be interesting to see how much they're charging for the burgers and booze compared to, say, the Chip Shop and Brewdog nearby.

Still no firm news about the Effra Social or the Albert, who are pretty much the only Brixton pubs who haven't reopened yet, AFAIK.

Edit to add: looks like these will be the prices

How is stating that their workers get a shitty deal 'defending' the company? If you look back in previous threads, I've had plenty of criticisms about Antic - but it's the same story for just about every venue I've ever worked for.

But just because your unnamed mate had a shit time with them 7 years ago, I don't see why I should automatically be expected to want them closed down forever and (inevitably) replaced by some yuppie unaffordable shit for the nu-demographic.
No Ed, I haven't said you automatically wanted anything.
You asked me why the hate, I answered. Keep up.

This look perfectly on trend

1597096677652.png

...a new Detroit-style pizzeria has opened its doors.

Party Store Pizza at Market House on Coldharbour Lane is all about the "Detroit style" pizza. That means it's baked in bespoke deep rectangular steel pans so the dough has a focaccia-like chew and a very crispy crust. Co-owner Matt Wells has co-founded top restaurants like The Dairy and Dandy - so he has plenty of experience on London's restaurant scene. And he's teamed up with music promoter Fred Letts for this new pizza business.

As for what's on the menu, it does sound enticing:

• Top Boy - vodka sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, 'nduja, pepperoni, honey
  • Lord of Pep - pepperoni with extra pepperoni)
  • Dirty South - pulled rib meat, pickled chillies, buffalo sauce, crispy onions, and fresh spring onions
  • Smacks of Mac - basically a Big Mac on a pizza
Sides include Vegan nugz, a Caesar salad to which you can add fried chicken to and a Mac & cheeseburger. Drinks are pretty straightforward too - two local beers and a few softs.

Menu: https://partystorepizza.co.uk/psp-jul-menu.png

Back
Top Bottom