Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Effra Social finally reopens

In photos: Brixton's Effra Social bar finally reopens, Sept 2020

...will there be music ?
Not for some time, I imagine, although I'd be delighted to come back in a different, more chilled out, don't-get-people-dancing capacity (and obviously getting paid less :( )

The DJ booth has been turned into a seating area, but at least it hasn't physically completely vanished like at the Dogstar.

Not for some time, I imagine, although I'd be delighted to come back in a different, more chilled out, don't-get-people-dancing capacity (and obviously getting paid less :( )

The DJ booth has been turned into a seating area, but at least it hasn't physically completely vanished like at the Dogstar.

Sorry to hear that....sitting down music can be a difficult ask for a DJ, a mate of ours worked at a groovy restaurant in soho and got us a slot, no money but a generous rider. By half ten we were bored and a bit pissed the final straw was playing ‘beyond good and evil’ by the pop group which put a very heavy dude of his baklava and we barely escaped with our legs unbroken, turned out this gaff was backed by funny money and was closed a month or later.

Sorry to hear that....sitting down music can be a difficult ask for a DJ, a mate of ours worked at a groovy restaurant in soho and got us a slot, no money but a generous rider. By half ten we were bored and a bit pissed the final straw was playing ‘beyond good and evil’ by the pop group which put a very heavy dude of his baklava and we barely escaped with our legs unbroken, turned out this gaff was backed by funny money and was closed a month or later.
I find it quite hard playing to a sat down crowd. It's like they're blaming you for the lack of fun going down, even when the brief is to keep things chilled, but I'll play anywhere right now.

#desperatetimes etc

I find it quite hard playing to a sat down crowd. It's like they're blaming you for the lack of fun going down, even when the brief is to keep things chilled, but I'll play anywhere right now.

#desperatetimes etc
I predict a James last / mantovani easy listening revival in the coming months.

A3FF9ABF-C0F3-4945-A890-22E5E51C510B.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep thinking of the Albert and how rammed it got at the bar. How narrow the space. The size and shape of the loos.
I cant see how it can work.

I keep thinking of the Albert and how rammed it got at the bar. How narrow the space. The size and shape of the loos.
I cant see how it can work.
The fact that they don't serve food is a biggie too. If they're staying booze only it's going to be hard to legally fit in enough people to make it viable :(

I've been making an effort to go to the Effra Hall Tavern a few times recently, and whilst i understand the live music being gone and can stomach the price rises post covid (just about), is their policy of questioning you on whether you will be 'inside or outside' a new thing? If you are foolishly honest and admit you'll be enjoying a fag with your pint it gets poured into a flimsy, single use plastic cup. I understand this with nightclubs but a backstreet pub with a small terrace out the back, not so much.

I've been making an effort to go to the Effra Hall Tavern a few times recently, and whilst i understand the live music being gone and can stomach the price rises post covid (just about), is their policy of questioning you on whether you will be 'inside or outside' a new thing? If you are foolishly honest and admit you'll be enjoying a fag with your pint it gets poured into a flimsy, single use plastic cup. I understand this with nightclubs but a backstreet pub with a small terrace out the back, not so much.
Yeah, I think it's a new thing since they reopened. Not quite sure why they use plastic for outside.
Was it very busy? The place has been horribly quiet during a couple of my visits.

The Effra Tavern are also using plastic glasses for outside. I don't get why...perhaps so they don't have to collect glasses, thus putting them in closer proximity to customers?

Yeah, I think it's a new thing since they reopened. Not quite sure why they use plastic for outside.
Was it very busy? The place has been horribly quiet during a couple of my visits.

Last night there were certainly people in there but not busy. Oddly, i noticed at about 9pm they had locked the door, and occasionally a barmaid would go over and unlock and let people who were loitering outside in the pub. Couldnt work out why, other than maybe they were at 'capacity' and were controlling numbers.

Last night there were certainly people in there but not busy. Oddly, i noticed at about 9pm they had locked the door, and occasionally a barmaid would go over and unlock and let people who were loitering outside in the pub. Couldnt work out why, other than maybe they were at 'capacity' and were controlling numbers.
Yes, there's a sign that goes up saying that they're capacity - I'm guessing that number must be very low indeed.

The Effra Tavern are also using plastic glasses for outside. I don't get why...perhaps so they don't have to collect glasses, thus putting them in closer proximity to customers?

Its annoying to be honest. I doubt they get many breakages in the small courtyard. Seems like we are being assumed as clumsy or irresponsible. Fancy pouring or drinking a Guinness out of a plastic cup :facepalm:

The ground floor pub of the POW is open again. Whilst there was still an I.D check and i think a photo, the very friendly female bouncer didn't put my I.D through a machine nor search me. Happy to report that happy hour was on offer again, as were glasses made of actual glass to drink your drink out of.

The ground floor pub of the POW is open again. Whilst there was still an I.D check and i think a photo, the very friendly female bouncer didn't put my I.D through a machine nor search me. Happy to report that happy hour was on offer again, as were glasses made of actual glass to drink your drink out of.
I was going to post up about this - it's been open for quite a few days now. so that leaves just the Albert as the only pub that has remained closed :(

Back
Top Bottom