Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Walked past Elm Park Tavern today and something is definitely happening there, which is good, as I was slightly worried it would not reopen, given that it is off the main drag. It looks like someone is putting up stencils/decals on the windows - "Whisky and Spirits" kind of things - so assumedly it intends to reopen soon, to sell the aforementioned.

Thursday night out in Brixton

The new normal at Brixton Hootananny: a Thursday night out in a post lockdown pub, 9th July 2020

The new normal at Brixton Hootananny: a Thursday night out in a post lockdown pub, 9th July 2020

The new normal at Brixton Hootananny: a Thursday night out in a post lockdown pub, 9th July 2020 Hootananny Brixton

I was in the Beehive tonight - and they closed at eleven.
I asked the duty manager and he said they will be closing at eleven Sunday to Thursday. I think he said midnight on Friday and Saturday.
So they are reigning in.
That said this was the situation 5 years ago - its only very recently the Beehive has adopted Brixton hours - so to speak.

I was in the Beehive tonight - and they closed at eleven.
I asked the duty manager and he said they will be closing at eleven Sunday to Thursday. I think he said midnight on Friday and Saturday.
So they are reigning in.
That said this was the situation 5 years ago - its only very recently the Beehive has adopted Brixton hours - so to speak.
Hootananny is midnight and 1am on weekends for now. I guess the later it gets, the more pissed people get and the less socially distanced they become.

Wandered past the Hero of Switzerland today and whilst it was shut (early afternoon), it did have signage around the entrances that made me think it might be open.

Successfully navigated having a pint of beer on the terrace at the POW earlier today. Entering the U.S would probably have been easier, quicker, cheaper and less invasive. :facepalm:

I was questioned, searched, photographed, belittled for having an old I.D, water confiscated and I.D details stored- all at 5pm.

It didnt get much better upstairs, happy hour has been scrapped, the pint was flat in a plastic cup and they add on a service charge for pouring and bringing the pint to your table.

Last edited:
It's not all burgers, pizza and small plates opening up in Brixton!

Menu (vegans/vegetarians, look away!) :

Last edited:
It's not all burgers, pizza and small plates opening up in Brixton!

.....first Brixton restaurant with a branch in Dubai.....?

Not many businesses about that are making a feature of their use of palm oil!

And meat eaters with less adventurous constituencies. Gizzards, goats head, cow foot, cow skin, assorted meat.
I'm not particularly proud that when I'm eating entrails I need them cunningly disguised as a chorizo.

Expect the Brixton based Antic pubs to have a big price increase on pints when they reopen. Sat down at the EDT yesterday evening and was presented with a price list more like a Youngs pub, about an 80p increase on pints. I sat on Goose Green and had a can instead.

It had already been going that way for a while now, but these prices mean Antic pubs are no longer 'reasonably priced' pubs, if they all reflect the EDT change.

Expect the Brixton based Antic pubs to have a big price increase on pints when they reopen. Sat down at the EDT yesterday evening and was presented with a price list more like a Youngs pub, about an 80p increase on pints. I sat on Goose Green and had a can instead.

It had already been going that way for a while now, but these prices mean Antic pubs are no longer 'reasonably priced' pubs, if they all reflect the EDT change.
Their operations always seem to run on a shoestring and this long closure forced by the virus may have sent them teetering even further towards the edge.

Their operations always seem to run on a shoestring and this long closure forced by the virus may have sent them teetering even further towards the edge.

Im not sure i completely understand why- their pubs always seem busy enough and the ones with late licenses will be coining it in on weekends. Why are they run on a shoestring?

Ritzy reopens on Friday

I see if you go they take your details for Track and Trace. So no I won't be going. I know its necessary. But Im back working now and can't afford two weeks off.

Ive instead taken out BFI player for £5 a month.

Back
Top Bottom