Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I keep meaning to go here, haven’t made it yet. Loved the pound cafe, couldn’t believe it when they told me their rent was going up 50% on atlantic road. FIFTY!

I dont actually eat out that much. I like cooking. Its why Im so annoyed about Nour being under threat.I could get everything at Nour I need ingredient wise. Its amazing what they stock. Plus I like to support small business who cater for all the local community with affordable goods.

I dont actually eat out that much. I like cooking. Its why Im so annoyed about Nour being under threat.I could get everything at Nour I need ingredient wise. Its amazing what they stock. Plus I like to support small business who cater for all the local community with affordable goods.
If you don’t eat out much that might explain why everything seems so hideously expensive to you?

I got forced into one once, can’t remember where it was but it was shit, expensive and didn’t have cider.

I work beside one, which is unfortunate enough, but one of our (well paid) managers thinks we are terribly lucky to be so close to such a wonderful establishment, and often insists we go there for drinks. I make my excuses 90% of the time, but on occasion i have found myself in the soulless void, gazing up at the very cool price board above the bar in a mixture of bewilderment, shock and amusement at the prices for the pints, or actually, 2/3 and 1/3 pints as the case may be.

The cheapest lager is think is just under £6. Their 'punk IPA' is more, if i recall correctly. Despite the fact Wetherspoons gives pints of the shit away if you buy one of their burgers and chips.

I really, really dont understand why anyone would want to go to 'Brewdog'. Even if i was fucking loaded, i still wouldn't go near it.

I assumed it was something like that. If you have time do visit them in LJ. They are doing two days as a trial. To see how it goes.

Im not around in daytimes so dont get down there.

Id also recommend Clarkshaws the brewers who have an arch right next to the Platform. They are closed for winter. But back in Spring. Serve beer Friday to Sunday in the arch. Clarkshaws is run by a couple who are really nice.
oh great cheers, will definitely check those brewers out in the spring. yeah same I can't get down in the week, but want to go to the platform caff one saturday :)

If you don’t eat out much that might explain why everything seems so hideously expensive to you?
That is quite the stupidest thing I've read on this thread. If something is expensive to someone then it is expensive, regardless of how many times they're faced with the bill.

That is quite the stupidest thing I've read on this thread. If something is expensive to someone then it is expensive, regardless of how many times they're faced with the bill.
Sorry but I don’t think you understood my point.

And I don’t understand what “how many times they're faced with the bill.” means I’m afraid.

Sorry but I don’t think you understood my point.

And I don’t understand what “how many times they're faced with the bill.” means I’m afraid.
You said: "If you don’t eat out much that might explain why everything seems so hideously expensive to you?"

That makes no sense unless he never buys anything from any cafes or restaurants anywhere, which he clearly does. He is making a comparison between his personal circumstances and the prices of local restaurants. And if you understood the demographics of the area - and how many people are struggling to pay the bills - you wouldn't be quibbling over his statement.

FYI, I go out a fair bit and I find many of the new Brixton restaurants hideously expensive too. That Haloburger place in Pop Brixton, for example, was definitely very expensive for what I got.

So I tried the Grazie vegan place in the Village last night with a load of friends and it's pretty good food but, like most of the market, not cheap. The average price for a dish was £11 and that was served up in a cardboard bowl with a wooden fork (why can't they use proper bowls and forks?), with beer the usual punchintheface fiver for a small bottle. It was fucking freezing cold too as we couldn't fit inside, but if you can afford it and like the ambience of the Village, the place does provide tasty vegan fare.

So I tried the Grazie vegan place in the Village last night with a load of friends and it's pretty good food but, like most of the market, not cheap. The average price for a dish was £11 and that was served up in a cardboard bowl with a wooden fork (why can't they use proper bowls and forks?), with beer the usual punchintheface fiver for a small bottle. It was fucking freezing cold too as we couldn't fit inside, but if you can afford it and like the ambience of the Village, the place does provide tasty vegan fare.
Or if you want to enjoy it in the comfort of your own home you could have it delivered!

No it's not. It's really fucking average and overpriced and the seating is shit and noisy in their container, or you have to go up the faux squatty communal eating area upstairs which is shit. Have you actually been to Halo?

In your opinion it’s average. In my opinion, they’re delicious!

You think they represent good value for money? I was hugely disappointed. The hamburger was a normal sausage, for starters (albeit quite a tasty one).

A sausage? It’s a Beyond Meat burger. I just think it’s a really good tasting vegan burger. Even my carnivorous partner likes them.
I wouldn’t say they represent good value as such but then I don’t think much commercial vegan food does at the moment still. Hopefully that will change as there’s more competition in the future. It’s a fully vegan place which I’m happy to support.

A sausage? It’s a Beyond Meat burger
Sorry, I meant the £8 hotdog which was most unhotdog like and poor value for £8. The Halo Burger was a hefty £9.50 without chips - they're another £2.50 on top - with a very small cola adding another £2.50 to the bill. So we paid £22.50 for a meal without cutlery, plates or a proper table and neither of us were remotely full.

I'm happy to promote vegan restaurants - e.g. A guide to Brixton’s top vegan, vegan-friendly and veggie restaurants and cafes - but I'd be hard pressed to recommend this to my frends.

No idea Antic brewed their own.

But then nothing surprises me about them anymore.

I seem to get a surprise quite often when i visit one of their pubs and they've whacked another 10p on a pint of Heineken. Whereas once i considered them to be reasonably priced, they are now pretty much indistinguishable to most other pubs charging around the £5 a pint mark, albeit not quite on the piss take price bracket charged by Youngs.

I seem to get a surprise quite often when i visit one of their pubs and they've whacked another 10p on a pint of Heineken. Whereas once i considered them to be reasonably priced, they are now pretty much indistinguishable to most other pubs charging around the £5 a pint mark, albeit not quite on the piss take price bracket charged by Youngs.

yeah they have gone through many many different branding exercises, ironically owing people I know thousands of pounds only for ' restructuring of the company' to not pay their bills.

yeah they have gone through many many different branding exercises, ironically owing people I know thousands of pounds only for ' restructuring of the company' to not pay their bills.
I suspect that the entire house of Antic is built on the shakiest of foundations and could come crashing down with the slightest of shudders.

Back
Top Bottom