Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

No it's not. It's really fucking average and overpriced and the seating is shit and noisy in their container, or you have to go up the faux squatty communal eating area upstairs which is shit. Have you actually been to Halo?
I like it & other people I know like it & it’s in the heart of Brixton.

I like it & other people I know like it & it’s in the heart of Brixton.
Being in the 'heart of Brixton' is just about the last reason to assume something is good these days. And it's a very average burger that costs too much that gets served up in shitty cardboard packaging. Van Gogh is infinitely better value and a far more pleasant dining experience (unless you're a fan of throwaway packaging).

Being in the 'heart of Brixton' is just about the last reason to assume something is good these days. And it's a very average burger that costs too much that gets served up in shitty cardboard packaging. Van Gogh is infinitely better value and a far more pleasant dining experience (unless you're a fan of throwaway packaging).
The poster wanted to eat in the heart of Brixton! :)
personally whenever I went to Van Gogh at weekends it seemed ovrrrun with children, so I stopped going

The poster wanted to eat in the heart of Brixton! :)
personally whenever I went to Van Gogh at weekends it seemed ovrrrun with children, so I stopped going

Ive been to Van Gogh on weekend and not noticed that.

I don't have children myself but think its fine for parents to bring children to cafes and restaurants. I notice the Portuguese cafes in daytime always have parent with children. Mediterranean culture is more child friendly than here.

Ive been to Van Gogh on weekend and not noticed that.

I don't have children myself but think its fine for parents to bring children to cafes and restaurants. I notice the Portuguese cafes in daytime always have parent with children. Mediterranean culture is more child friendly than here.
I didn’t say it’s not fine, I just exercised my prerogative to go somewhere quieter.

I didn’t say it’s not fine, I just exercised my prerogative to go somewhere quieter.
And Pop Brixton is supposedly quieter? You're having a laugh. The music from the boom box in Halo was so loud we had to go upstairs to the upstairs area, and there was music blaring from the speakers there too along with the loud beery customers.

And Pop Brixton is supposedly quieter? You're having a laugh. The music from the boom box in Halo was so loud we had to go upstairs to the upstairs area, and there was music blaring from the speakers there too along with the loud beery customers.

I did wonder how Pop is supposed to be more peaceful environment to Van Gogh.

It could be that a person who does not like children may find a child friendly restaurent unpleasant.

Perhaps a new Brixton Buzz guide for places to eat that arent swarming with children is in order?

Christ. The level of debate on this forum is pathetic. Usual culprits arguing their futile position as usual.
Bit rich coming from someone who argues that the addition of yet another fast food takeaway/booze outlet is somehow going to miraculously clean up Electric Lane and vastly improve the area for everyone.

Anyway, I've updated the vegan/veggie Brixton guide and happily there's plenty of more appealing options than sitting in Pop Brixton and eating off paper plates in the cold.

Anyway, I've updated the vegan/veggie Brixton guide and happily there's plenty of more appealing options than sitting in Pop Brixton and eating off paper plates in the cold.

Cafe van Goph is my absolute number 1, love steve (from my old neck of the woods originally), love the food, love the stuff they’re doing to help people learn, legends. In other news, have you seen brew dog have started doing temple of seitan burgers and wings/wing wednesdays? Shame really, I’d like to try the temple of seitan stuff but not enough to tempt me into a Brewdog😂

Cafe van Goph is my absolute number 1, love steve (from my old neck of the woods originally), love the food, love the stuff they’re doing to help people learn, legends. In other news, have you seen brew dog have started doing temple of seitan burgers and wings/wing wednesdays? Shame really, I’d like to try the temple of seitan stuff but not enough to tempt me into a Brewdog😂
I don't think I'm never going to go into a Brewdog. I like pubs with a bit of community spirit, atmosphere and character, with normal priced beers.

Pipoca Vegan in Brixton road is also good. Another place that is nice to sit in and eat. You can bring your own beer last time I was there.

Id say it comes second to Van Gogh. Which I agree with coldwaterswim is the number one. And its not "swarming" with children.Not that I find children a problem. I do think parents should not feel excluded from places because they have children.

Pipoca and Van Gogh are nice clean indoor restaurants that have a good ambience. Its what I pay to eat out for. Good food in a nice setting.

Eat of Eden in the Village is very good food but they have hardly any space to eat in. Good as takeaway. I noticed a lot of people doing that. Its a small space. OK in summer when you can sit outside.

Last edited:

There is also the Platfrom in Loughborough Junction.

Brixton Pound have relocated there after losing Atlantic road. Two days a week.

Vegan options are available.

Its now opened Saturdays Chef is someone from the Farm.

Opening times are mainly daytimes. Not late evenings. Brixton Pound do takeaway.

Opening times are mainly daytimes. Not late evenings. Brixton Pound do takeaway.

I'm going to do another feature on The Platform when I get a minute. They're what Pop Brixton should have been.

I keep meaning to go here, haven’t made it yet. Loved the pound cafe, couldn’t believe it when they told me their rent was going up 50% on atlantic road. FIFTY!

I keep meaning to go here, haven’t made it yet. Loved the pound cafe, couldn’t believe it when they told me their rent was going up 50% on atlantic road. FIFTY!

I assumed it was something like that. If you have time do visit them in LJ. They are doing two days as a trial. To see how it goes.

Im not around in daytimes so dont get down there.

Id also recommend Clarkshaws the brewers who have an arch right next to the Platform. They are closed for winter. But back in Spring. Serve beer Friday to Sunday in the arch. Clarkshaws is run by a couple who are really nice.

Back
Top Bottom