Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

It would be ideal if organisations did the 1% club (donate 1% of turnover to charity) - but they don't
From involvement with a local charity that benefited from this extra £1 on the bills, I can tell you that we were very grateful for the funds raised by this method..

(FWIW it was a local non-chain streatham restaurant - and I don't recall that they piggy backed off it in some sort of cheap PR blitz: they were just kind enough to allow us to take a bit of their table space in order to leave the explanatory cards and to process the finances. Thank you again - the now departed - Bocca)
That sounds fine, but it still rankles when the business gives fuck all themselves but hires in a pro PR company to tell everyone of how selfless they were donating money they've just taken off customers.

Like this kind of thing which I doubt raised anywhere near enough to cover the PR costs:

Award-winning bar Tequila Mockingbird is due to land in the heart of Brixton this week and to celebrate their new home, the cocktail connoisseurs are launching a Brixton-only limited-edition menu inspired by the Starman himself, David Bowie. These are cocktails with a cause, with £1 of every cosmic concoction served going towards brand new music equipment for local Brixton schools.

This is worth supporting - they're a not-for-profit vegan cafe that provides training and employment opportunities for people with learning and developmental disabilities. I wish more nu-Brixton businesses were more about community than their own fat profit.

They must be throwing loads of money at this promotion as it's been in my FB feed for ages, but I'm not sure why they think an image of a dirty, greasy bit of paper is going to encourage sales.

2020-02-18_163535.jpg

Ms Cupcake to close its doors

Attachments

• 22C4DEDD-7B98-426F-9D13-69D3D757289E.png
    22C4DEDD-7B98-426F-9D13-69D3D757289E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 73705ACA-0D5D-4B32-8FBB-F3E2563B6EAC.png
    73705ACA-0D5D-4B32-8FBB-F3E2563B6EAC.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
Always a shame to see an independent close down, although have to say they where expensive. Over £3 each, thats a lot!!!

Hopefully they do well with the cook book.

Yeah they were spenny, I never had their cakes not having much of a sweet tooth but I used to like going having a rummage in their fridge section and see what new products they had in to try, sandwiches and pizzas etc. People who worked there were lovely too, hope they manage to get another job easily

Last edited:
“Sit on a table”?

endless money is an exaggeration. Some places are quite good value!
Have you been to Pop? It's rather different to a restaurant and the food comes on paper plates with plastic cutlery.

Anyway, what are your vegan recommendations for Pop?

I'm still quite interested in a review for the new vegan Italian seeing as the creperie is too far from central for the lunch date I have and Eat of Eden takes forever and we'll be short of time.

I'm still quite interested in a review for the new vegan Italian seeing as the creperie is too far from central for the lunch date I have and Eat of Eden takes forever and we'll be short of time.
How about Katakata? Or is that too far up the hill?

How about Katakata? Or is that too far up the hill?

My vegan friend lives in a village in the Midlands that doesn't even have a shop (although he did frequent nights at the Fridge in his youth :). I know he will enjoy eating in the heart of Brixton more. However I've never tried Katakata and will soon.

My vegan friend lives in a village in the Midlands that doesn't even have a shop (although he did frequent nights at the Fridge in his youth :). I know he will enjoy eating in the heart of Brixton more. However I've never tried Katakata and will soon.
Haloburger is really good if you want a vegan burger?

Best vegan food in Brixton please. Also see there is a new vegan Italian in the 'Village'. Anyone tried it?

It a short bus ride from central Brixton but the Van Gogh is the best vegan restaurant I know. My partner likes it and is vegan.

Its also in a nice building. Do a great vegan sunday lunch. For what you get its not that expensive.

Haloburger is really good if you want a vegan burger?

No it's not. It's really fucking average and overpriced and the seating is shit and noisy in their container, or you have to go up the faux squatty communal eating area upstairs which is shit. Have you actually been to Halo?

It a short bus ride from central Brixton but the Van Gogh is the best vegan restaurant I know. My partner likes it and is vegan.

Its also in a nice building. Do a great vegan sunday lunch. For what you get its not that expensive.

Excellent choice.

Back
Top Bottom