Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I was at the Brixton Neighborhood Forum last night.

Unlike Brixton BID it doesn't have lots of funding.
An issue that came up was that it has been difficult to get more interest in the Forum.

Thing is now the Brixton BID is set up and going IMO the Council work through that. Not local long term residents.
Its imo a real problem.

Squire and Partners have two people on Brixton board.
See here:
BID BOARD - Brixton BID
IMO Brixton is effectively run by Brixton Board. Community groups of residents find it difficult now to have a voice.
Actually there are two representatives of Wainwright and Cummins and also Jellyfish Pictures on the Brixton BID board, according to your link.

I haven't studied the constitution but it's possible these could be alternates (job share) or maybe they simply - like the Brixton Neighbourhood Forum - are people who have the interest to take those positions.

Brixton BID made no bones about being the body to represent Brixton businesses. So unless Brixton suddenly became a Mecca for social firms like the Brixton Pound shop or "We are 336" it's going to be skewed in favour of profit seeking firms.

How on earth is anyone supposed to know what's going on in their accounts?
Undaudited. Statement of Financial Affairs only. No statement regarding staff salaries. No statement as to how much came in from their Business Rate surcharge.

In short no income and expenditure figures at all.

Attachments

• Brixton BID accounts.pdf
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
Actually there are two representatives of Wainwright and Cummins and also Jellyfish Pictures on the Brixton BID board, according to your link.

I haven't studied the constitution but it's possible these could be alternates (job share) or maybe they simply - like the Brixton Neighbourhood Forum - are people who have the interest to take those positions.

Brixton BID made no bones about being the body to represent Brixton businesses. So unless Brixton suddenly became a Mecca for social firms like the Brixton Pound shop or "We are 336" it's going to be skewed in favour of profit seeking firms.

Constitution does allow for alternative board members if one person cannot come. The website doesn't make this clear. Looks like Squires and others have two votes on Board from website. I'm assuming this isn't the case.

Reactions: CH1
Joining the board see section 25 http://www.brixtonbid.co.uk/version...16/10/Brixton-BID_Articles-of-Association.pdf

levy 1.5% on top of business rates iirc

Looking at this I'm still confused , like BusLanes on the actual procedure to get on board.

A third have to stand down to be replaced at ech AGM. Apart from that Constitution doesn't give much detail on how directors are appointed.

This isn't a Coop model. In Coop one has to be voted into a post such as Chair of Coop at AGM which all members can attend. Different members can be proposed to be voted in. This is written into Constitution.

I also notice the Constitution gives a lot of wide ranging aims to the BID. Things which should be the remit of the Council. ie regeneration and social and economic well-being.

Yet the Constitution only allow one resident ( non business or landowner) to attend board meetings to represent residents. That person has no voting rights.

This is not right imo.

Two Cllrs are on the board.

No wonder the Brixton Neighborhood Forum is seen as of little importance to Cllrs. They don't come to Neighborhood Forum.

Looking at this I'm still confused , like BusLanes on the actual procedure to get on board.

A third have to stand down to be replaced at ech AGM. Apart from that Constitution doesn't give much detail on how directors are appointed.

This isn't a Coop model. In Coop one has to be voted into a post such as Chair of Coop at AGM which all members can attend. Different members can be proposed to be voted in. This is written into Constitution.

I also notice the Constitution gives a lot of wide ranging aims to the BID. Things which should be the remit of the Council. ie regeneration and social and economic well-being.

Yet the Constitution only allow one resident ( non business or landowner) to attend board meetings to represent residents. That person has no voting rights.

This is not right imo.

Two Cllrs are on the board.

No wonder the Brixton Neighborhood Forum is seen as of little importance to Cllrs. They don't come to Neighborhood Forum.

It looks like you have to volunteer and be accepted by the directors.

I'm not volunteering to be a residents rep where I don't have voting rights. Thats an insult imo. I couldn't believe it when I read the Constitution.

I'm already spending spare time attending Neighborhood Forum meetings for Brixton area.

If you mean how a business owner gets on the board. It looks like that to me. Not a very satisfactory way to do it imo.

It could be that BID does use voting to appoint directors. Its , surprisingly , not written into the articles of association. So looks like its up to the BID how its done.

Looks like Brixton Buzz wasn't invited to the private launch tonight and after seeing the crowd, I'm glad I'm going to the pub instead.

Was it that bad?

The whole thing sounds awful.

The set up is like one of those media hangouts in Soho.

Bar Restaurant with private highly priced dining rooms.

Probably Brixton is cheaper.

They are going to have to get a lot of high spending clients in to make this work.

I'm doubtful its going to last. This is a big space and must be expensive to rent.

Its half way between drinking hole and up market dining experience. Very risky in Brixton.

Unless it get rave reviews for dining experience its going to have problems.

It could go the way of other dining experience places and go more "down-market" be a late night club/ drinking hole. But in that case liable to get objections ( justified) from residents next door.

I can't say this is the kind of place I'd want to spend an evening drinking at:

taptoom-brixton-opens-01.jpg

taproom.jpg

Photos: A quick look at the Taproom by Brixton Village craft beer outlet, 31st Oct 2019

Have any of the richer members of urban been to The Laundry yet? They're so posh they don't put their dishes or prices online so I was wondering how much they're charging.

Was it that bad?

The whole thing sounds awful.

The set up is like one of those media hangouts in Soho.

Bar Restaurant with private highly priced dining rooms.

Probably Brixton is cheaper.

They are going to have to get a lot of high spending clients in to make this work.

I'm doubtful its going to last. This is a big space and must be expensive to rent.

Its half way between drinking hole and up market dining experience. Very risky in Brixton.

Unless it get rave reviews for dining experience its going to have problems.

It could go the way of other dining experience places and go more "down-market" be a late night club/ drinking hole. But in that case liable to get objections ( justified) from residents next door.
They'll be located directly opposite the new theatre. Kerrching.

Have any of the richer members of urban been to The Laundry yet? They're so posh they don't put their dishes or prices online so I was wondering how much they're charging.

Huh, so you are right. I just spent an unhelpful minute scanning reviews and no dice.

Although they'll all be soft launch reviews anyway. I may try and wander past Sunday and see if any light can be shed

I walked past the Taproom and can confirm that there's no prices on display that I could see. I always thought that was a legal requirement. Place was really quiet.

I also passed The Laundry which declines to advertise its menu. I didn't go in because these sort of hoity toity places make me feel uncomfortable, but I saw one dish advertised for a whopping £24.

Hey, guess what? There's yet another bar coming to Coldharbour Lane, straight outta Clapham. Open in time for Christmas.

No, it's going to be called 'Underdog Brixton' and the owner claims it's going to be 'the best bar coming to Brixton.'
I assume it's these people The Underdog bar review, a relaxed and cool hangout in Clapham Common

My cousin made up a poem called The Underdog. I wonder if they’d like to use it? I reproduce it here for your intellectual delectation:

On your knees in the corner, wondering where it all went wrong.
Defeated by Under, the dog.
Otherwise know as Underdog
Down Under!
Down boy!
Down.

Back
Top Bottom