Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

She doesn't seem linked with the NZ wine shop in Pop either.

These Kiwi wine retailers!

Err

“The neighbourhood bistro and bar will take over the old Walton Lodge Laundry site on Coldharbour Lane.

Owner Melanie Brown has bags of experience in the business as well as being already involved in the area. Brown - who you may know from her wine bar, The New Zealand Wine Cellar in nearby Pop Brixton”

I’m a bit lost as I thought that the number of A3/4 food and drink licenses was only allowed up to a certain quota in order not to saturate a confined area such as Brixton ? How can Brixton Bar and Grill apply to turn the old ‘ The Baron ‘ menswear Unit originally at 23 Atlantic Road into a A3 Unit from a A1 ?

The government undermined local planning by changing the rules. "Permitted Development Rights" since 2015 allow change of use to A3 from retail use.

Owner still has to put in planning application for things like ventilation etc. But change of use is ok under Permitted Development Rights.

3 points to consider when applying for a change of use from A1 to A3 | MZAs Planning | Planning Permission without the Headaches

More to the point is the grey area between A3 and late night drinking entertainment.

The Chip Shop is example.

Once the offices of Brixton Cultural Archives. When they moved change of use to take away. Chip shop came as restaurant. Got drinks license. Basically operates as a music / drinks establishment but technically still a chip shop. Which is of course bollox.

In reality the local residential community has little real say in how the neighborhood develops. Even less now Brixton BID runs Brixton in partnership with Lambeth Council.

Lack of democratic oversight and community say has increased in Brixton area. Not all Councils fault.

Councils have been cut and eviscerated by Tory governments. So don't have the staff to respond to residents queries on planning and licensing issues. Basically business and property owners can get away with a lot if so minded.

Combination of Tory governments property owner friendly policies, A New Labour Council who love the Nu Brixton, BID concept that business should run areas.

Brixton BID really irritate me. Its like they run area and I should be grateful.

Ordinary Joe who lives around area has less and less real say.

Err

“The neighbourhood bistro and bar will take over the old Walton Lodge Laundry site on Coldharbour Lane.

Owner Melanie Brown has bags of experience in the business as well as being already involved in the area. Brown - who you may know from her wine bar, The New Zealand Wine Cellar in nearby Pop Brixton”

In my defence I read this at the pub so clearly missed key details

The government undermined local planning by changing the rules. "Permitted Development Rights" since 2015 allow change of use to A3 from retail use.

Owner still has to put in planning application for things like ventilation etc. But change of use is ok under Permitted Development Rights.

3 points to consider when applying for a change of use from A1 to A3 | MZAs Planning | Planning Permission without the Headaches

More to the point is the grey area between A3 and late night drinking entertainment.

The Chip Shop is example.

Once the offices of Brixton Cultural Archives. When they moved change of use to take away. Chip shop came as restaurant. Got drinks license. Basically operates as a music / drinks establishment but technically still a chip shop. Which is of course bollox.

In reality the local residential community has little real say in how the neighborhood develops. Even less now Brixton BID runs Brixton in partnership with Lambeth Council.

Lack of democratic oversight and community say has increased in Brixton area. Not all Councils fault.

Councils have been cut and eviscerated by Tory governments. So don't have the staff to respond to residents queries on planning and licensing issues. Basically business and property owners can get away with a lot if so minded.

Combination of Tory governments property owner friendly policies, A New Labour Council who love the Nu Brixton, BID concept that business should run areas.

Brixton BID really irritate me. Its like they run area and I should be grateful.

Ordinary Joe who lives around area has less and less real say.

BID is basically a Labour operation too - the chair even endorsed Labour in the Coldharbour election last year.

Which is to be expected, since Labour is so dominant, but it does grate a bit

Can someone explain the term banquettes?
According to Wikipedia it sounds not merely pretentious, but positively threatening:

Noun. banquette (plural banquettes) (military) A narrow area behind a defensive wall's parapet elevated above its terreplein and used by defenders to shoot at attackers. A bench built into a wall, especially (military) one built into a wall of a defensive trench, used for sitting and for shooting at attackers.

According to Wikipedia it sounds not merely pretentious, but positively threatening:

Noun. banquette (plural banquettes) (military) A narrow area behind a defensive wall's parapet elevated above its terreplein and used by defenders to shoot at attackers. A bench built into a wall, especially (military) one built into a wall of a defensive trench, used for sitting and for shooting at attackers.
pretentious name for a long bench seated at a communal table

Looks like this development on on Electric Lane is going ahead. I know it was discussed here and know that it involves booze (obvs) and food, but can anyone remember more details?

2019-08-18_211906.jpg

It looks like it is one of Mr Page's
David Page: The restaurateur learning fast as rivals struggle
Looks like he has a thing for Brixton
And from Company House
David Michael PAGE Date of birth June 1952
is director of
MADE OF DOUGH LTD. (09543017)
WISE FOOD LIMITED (10349076)
FM 111 LIMITED (10206678)
THE REAL GREEK INTERNATIONAL LIMITED (10046193)
FRANCO MANCA INTERNATIONAL LIMITED (10046393)
FIXED RESTAURANTS LIMITED (09835975)
MARKET ROW BRIXTON LTD (09739230) Company status Dissolved
PUTNEY BEACH LIMITED (09715471)
THE OLD BOYS CLUB LTD (09512043)
10DAS LIMITED (08910978)
CAFE PITFIELD LIMITED (08911010)
FM6 LIMITED (08785324)
NANBAN (HACKNEY) LTD (08575869) Company status Dissolved
FM98 LTD LIMITED (08422451)
SOHOHO LTD (08320100) Company status Dissolved
CHILLBOX UK LTD (08119214)
WISHBONE BRIXTON LTD (07965870)
THE FULHAM SHORE PLC (07973930)
KEFI LTD (07632744)
MEATAILER LIMITED (07555270)
FRANCO MANCA 2 UK LIMITED (07045067)
SOPHIE AND MAY LTD (07440537) Company status Dissolved
FRANCO MANCA HOLDINGS LIMITED (06690296)
ROCCA (2015) LIMITED (06576349)

Amazing news. The startlingly original Black Bear Burger are coming to Brixton Village, direct from Canary Wharf/Shoreditch.

Insert ghastly dripping pile of excess burger here:

blackbearburger-loti.jpg

Black Bear Burger, which has been slinging buns in Giant Robot in Canary Wharf, is opening its first proper restaurant in Brixton Village this autumn. The Brixton outpost of BBB will serve up the same signature burgers, made from grass-fed and dry-aged British beef, as well sides like skin-on fries, poutine, chicken wings and nuggets with buffalo and blue cheese sauce.

It’ll also be home to some new dishes like chicken and vegan burgers, brisket spring rolls and smoked BBQ specials. And for the first time, Black Bear Burger will serve booze, so you can sip on cocktails, beer jugs and shot skis alongside your buns.

Black Bear Burger Brixton | Eat and Drink | London On The Inside

This should help.

BANQUETTE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Reactions: CH1

Sad to say this article brings to mind what has happened to Soho.

I few places survive ( like Bruno's Cafe in Wardour Street. ) but a lot of the other places are going the way of this section of Atlantic road. A theme bar/ eaterie opens. Keeps going for a year then goes to be replaced by another bar/ eaterie.

Its depressing soul less capitalism.

Some of these places might get good reviews. Then fold after a year.

I really don't understand the business model.

Its make a business plan that appeals to the eaterie/ bar crowd that want new sensation. When this wears off close and think of new idea.

Totally soul less and alienating imo.

Sad to say this article brings to mind what has happened to Soho.

I few places survive ( like Bruno's Cafe in Wardour Street. ) but a lot of the other places are going the way of this section of Atlantic road. A theme bar/ eaterie opens. Keeps going for a year then goes to be replaced by another bar/ eaterie.

Its depressing soul less capitalism.

Some of these places might get good reviews. Then fold after a year.

I really don't understand the business model.

Its make a business plan that appeals to the eaterie/ bar crowd that want new sensation. When this wears off close and think of new idea.

Totally soul less and alienating imo.
They're all trying to get a slice of the Brixton Village/Pop foodie/boozing action but without any real commitment to the local community like Kaff did.

Their press release had some blurb about how they were going to give a massive £1 from every one of their limited edition 'Brixton' Bowie £9 cocktails to a local charity but in reality it was all about trying to push the right PR buttons as it was unlikely to raise much cash at all (and yes, something is better than nothing, but I'm not going to laud them for such a half arsed effort that gets a hefty push in their promotional material).

That Blank Cafe on Acre Lane sure looks mighty pricey. Anyone been?

£3.20 for a large Americano could be a challenger for the most expensive coffee in Brixton (35p extra for almond milk). A thumping £12.50 for tomato, hash browns, toast, avo, baked beans and mushrooms. £9 for mixed berries, yogurt and maple syrup pancakes.

Menu — Blank Brixton

At Blank we are more than just beautiful food. We are the place where people can disconnect to reconnect

Say, what?

Is it supposed to be vegetarian/vegan? £12.50 for any kind of fry up takes the biscuit, let alone one with no meat involved.

Particularly galling these prices when you consider Sam's cafe is on the same road and would likely be at least 50% cheaper.

Is it supposed to be vegetarian/vegan? £12.50 for any kind of fry up takes the biscuit, let alone one with no meat involved.

Particularly galling these prices when you consider Sam's cafe is on the same road and would likely be at least 50% cheaper.
Factor in the size of the portions and I imagine you'd be closer to 70% cheaper!

That said, you might find it harder to disconnect to reconnect there. :facepalm:

Sam's Cafe does what Sam's Cafe does; Blank does what Blank does. Take your pick.
With the changing demographic of Brixton and the incoming businesses able to pay ever-fatter rents, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sam's option vanishes sooner rather than later. :(

Back
Top Bottom