Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

I wish her the very best finding a cheaper, hipper, late night Brixton bar with cooler, more stylish people.

Have you any suggestions?
Effra Social isn't bad but its rammed to the gills with the kind of people you excoriate in this forum. plus its not cheap & 'hip'

From the article.

Brexit has shown how this industry has operated. It no longer has access to cheap pool of Labour from rest of Europe.

If shortage of staff forces the industry to improve wages and conditions that's a good thing.
You are getting it at last...

Effra Social isn't bad but its rammed to the gills with the kind of people you excoriate in this forum. plus its not cheap & 'hip'

Neighbour's daughter was telling me a couple of months ago about her disappointment in student nights in Manchester. She'd gone there partly for 'the UK's best music scene' and had found 'sixty year-old punks playing forty-year old tunes to twenty year-old wankers' (her words exactly). We then had a long chat where she asserted that I wouldn't have gone to a club in 1990 to see my grandad play his big band records, while I countered with something vague about the telescoping of generations since the 50s and 60s and the persistence of pop culture motifs. I think she won the argument - and she said the only places she and her pals go for music in Brixton these days are The Windmill and Phonox.

I don't think Effra Social is bad. It's just another of many mid-range food, booze and music joints in Brixton. Cumulatively they narrow the spectrum. Places for old codgers are vanishing, places for teenagers are vanishing, places for families are vanishing. All the growth seems to be in venues targeting students and young professionals, with over-priced drinks and mid-priced food. Lots of the talk about gentrification focuses on places moving inexorably upmarket, but I think it's more complex than that. I feel it's about the bandwidth decreasing to serve an undemanding middle. I wonder what this means for the pace of cultural innovation, when neither the rich (through their excesses) or the poor (through necessity) are pushing the envelope.

Shame you didn't bother to answer the question. Not sure who's ever claimed that the Effra Social was hip or cheap either, although there's plenty of pricier places around Brixton.

Funny how some posters seem so focussed on the one place I happen to be currently DJing at, isn't it?

Neighbour's daughter was telling me a couple of months ago about her disappointment in student nights in Manchester. She'd gone there partly for 'the UK's best music scene' and had found 'sixty year-old punks playing forty-year old tunes to twenty year-old wankers' (her words exactly). We then had a long chat where she asserted that I wouldn't have gone to a club in 1990 to see my grandad play his big band records, while I countered with something vague about the telescoping of generations since the 50s and 60s and the persistence of pop culture motifs. I think she won the argument - and she said the only places she and her pals go for music in Brixton these days are The Windmill and Phonox.

I don't think Effra Social is bad. It's just another of many mid-range food, booze and music joints in Brixton. Cumulatively they narrow the spectrum. Places for old codgers are vanishing, places for teenagers are vanishing, places for families are vanishing. All the growth seems to be in venues targeting students and young professionals, with over-priced drinks and mid-priced food. Lots of the talk about gentrification focuses on places moving inexorably upmarket, but I think it's more complex than that. I feel it's about the bandwidth decreasing to serve an undemanding middle. I wonder what this means for the pace of cultural innovation, when neither the rich (through their excesses) or the poor (through necessity) are pushing the envelope.
yeah, they try to be all things to all people, okish beer, okish food, okish music. you end up with a lack of loyalty from the customers though as its so bland and okish

This is properly weird post.....
Shame you didn't bother to answer the question. Not sure who's ever claimed that the Effra Social was hip or cheap either, although there's plenty of pricier places around Brixton.

Funny how some posters seem so focussed on the one place I happen to be currently DJing at, isn't it?

....because you had only just posted this...

I wish her the very best finding a cheaper, hipper, late night Brixton bar with cooler, more stylish people.

Have you any suggestions?

which is also a bit strange, like I’m gonna suggest places for my kid to go drinking, she’d tell to me stfu.
i posted a few suggestions for cheap, untrendy pubs further up, but her generation are a bit freer they are not into some weird archaic concept of territory, they just want somewhere to hang out and chat and have a laugh 🤭 over a few drinks, and they don’t stay in the confines of Brixton, they might go to streetham, clapham, tooting, etc even as far as the west end or Camden 😳....these are young kids finding their way, I don’t blame them for not following old people’s ideas of what is hip or cool....

I don’t blame them for not following old people’s ideas of what is hip or cool....
So who are these 'old people' suggesting what is hip or cool? :confused:

Personally I don't give a fuck about how cool a place is and never have. In fact the cooler and hipper a venue becomes, the less likely I am to ever want to visit the place.

I think going to student nights expecting them to be cutting edge is probably your first mistake. going to student nights being your second.

I think going to student nights expecting them to be cutting edge is probably your first mistake. going to student nights being your second.
For 50 year-old me it's a terrible idea. For 20 year-old me it wasn't so uniformly awful as it largely involved an art school bar that gloried in the obtuse and where Heineken was 50p a pint.

For 50 year-old me it's a terrible idea. For 20 year-old me it wasn't so uniformly awful as it largely involved an art school bar that gloried in the obtuse and where Heineken was 50p a pint.

Student 'disco'/club have pretty much always been awful but when I was at university in the early 90's the live music coming through was pretty cutting edge. It must depend on the booker but I saw a stack of great bands as they broke through. And in London I used to go to gigs at SOAS and other student venues but can't remember when I last did. But I think the live music scene has changed - I don't think I've been to a gig at a student venue in the last 10 years. And looking at my old university theres not a single gig listed now.

View attachment 311290

Please don't. People have a great time there so it's clearly not your kind of place.

....daughter and her mates don’t rate it, they’re 18 to 21 and say it’s full of boring old yuppies with no clue about music or style, and it’s too expensive for them. 🙁
Your daughter has taste.

And one picture or still from a night in a pub - is just laughable Ed. But you are funny.

Ed - stop playing the victim for fuck sake.

I pulled Effra social out of the air as an example. It hadn't occurred to me until you replied that you do your thing there.
IMO - it was a shit venue before and after its reincarnation.

To get back to the original point (about the Albert) it could do with a refurb, new management (which we agree on) and some serous input into DJ/live music.

If a refurb was to happen - I'd hope that Greene King would keep the prices similar and affordable.

Your daughter has taste.

And one picture or still from a night in a pub - is just laughable Ed. But you are funny.
Whereas you're almost always tedious, unpleasant and unforgivably patronising towards women (see: Brixton bus stop thread).

I'm putting us both on mutual ignore because this forum does not benefit in any way from your endless sniping. Goodbye.

Student 'disco'/club have pretty much always been awful but when I was at university in the early 90's the live music coming through was pretty cutting edge. It must depend on the booker but I saw a stack of great bands as they broke through. And in London I used to go to gigs at SOAS and other student venues but can't remember when I last did. But I think the live music scene has changed - I don't think I've been to a gig at a student venue in the last 10 years. And looking at my old university theres not a single gig listed now.
University gigs used to be an important part of the gig circuit for established and up and coming bands, but they pretty much disappeared after student unions had their budgets slashed.

University gigs used to be an important part of the gig circuit for established and up and coming bands, but they pretty much disappeared after student unions had their budgets slashed.
From what I’ve heard, unions receive far less income from member dues these days, and are much more reliant on the block grants from their institutions. One consequence is that they focus more on the core business of academic representation and student welfare than on running ents programmes. They’ve always had to do the latter through trading entities though.

Some of the seminal union venues are a shadow of their former selves. ULU used to have an amazing programme and now it’s a bit of a spent force. There are some great examples still going - like the Wee Red Bar in Edinburgh and The Waterfront in Norwich - but I think they’re in the minority.

Not quite Brixton, but Streatham SW2

My amazing friend JoJo is hosting her fourth supper club at Batch and Co, Streatham this coming Saturday 26 Feb at 7.30pm! All profits go to support Cook to Care, an organisation she set up at the start of the pandemic where volunteers cook and deliver healthy meals to those in need.
She is one amazing cook. You'll enjoy great food inspired by Greek and Persian feasts. 15% discount on first 5 tickets with code COMMUNITY15

You are getting it at last...

Yes and no.

What I object to is the language used like saying Brexit has caused problems for the restaurant industry or that it works to tight margins.

The Brexit vote was years ago and the restaurant industry hasn't got its act together. Hence now blaming Brexit for its woes.

Its business model was based around tight margins ie keeping wages and conditions down. This was fine as long as it had access to other European labour.

Its spent the last years doing nothing about this and is now complaining.

I didn't support Brexit as felt that the EU migrants were getting the blame. And none of my EU friends and fellow workers saw Brexit as positive. I didn't like way Farage and UKIP were stoking up anti immigrant feelings. Part of problem with referendum was that their was no plan. No thought out alternative. Hence the mess it is now. And I don't see the reducing immigration as a plus point. This country has always had problem with immigration. As for business they only support immigration if they can make a profit out of it. Its Imo that cynical.

The blame is on the industry for exploiting the access it had to EU labour market.

Same thing with farmers. Its no good head of NFU whining when her industry didn't think twice about exploiting cheap labour before.

I'd have more time for them all if they just said not having access to pool of cheap labour is causing them problems. But they are never going to be that blunt.

So no sympathy for bosses or so called " entrepreneurs " from me.

Last edited:
in her words anyone over 25, including me and probably you....
You seem a but hung up about age and seem to think all young people think the same and like the same music. They don't. In fact, there's plenty of people under 25 who enjoy 'old' music and who are happy to mix with people of all ages, just like there are some who only want to hang around with their own age group.

Check out the Old Dispensary live music nights, for example.

You seem a but hung up about age and seem to think all young people think the same and like the same music. They don't. In fact, there's plenty of people under 25 who enjoy 'old' music and who are happy to mix with people of all ages, just like there are some who only want to hang around with their own age group.

Check out the Old Dispensary live music nights, for example.
...i was quoting her words, she thinks men over a certain age should be banned from certain public venues...so not my hang up but well done on the ‘ad hominem’

...i was quoting her words, she thinks men over a certain age should be banned from certain public venues...so not my hang up but well done on the ‘ad hominem’
Really? Seeing as you're keen to speak on her behalf, could you ask her at what age should men be banned from attending adult gigs/venues etc and if that involves the performers too?
I do think that age is a fact, rather than a state of mind tho
And practically, what is that supposed to mean?

Really? Seeing as you're keen to speak on her behalf, could you ask her at what age should men be banned from attending adult gigs/venues etc and if that involves the performers too?

And practically, what is that supposed to mean?
40 y.o max in clubs and venues, no loitering by single males around bars, restricted access to dance floor, dad dancing and other embarrassing drunk/drug behaviour punishable by public shaming on social media platforms.
( to clarify I’m not keen just answering your questions politely, and she said further questions will only be answered if a consultancy fee is forthcoming)

40 y.o max in clubs and venues, no loitering by single males around bars, restricted access to dance floor, dad dancing and other embarrassing drunk/drug behaviour punishable by public shaming on social media platforms.
( to clarify I’m not keen just answering your questions politely, and she said further questions will only be answered if a consultancy fee is forthcoming)
What a terrible, discriminatory, ageist attitude. I'm so happy I've never met anyone around that age who has such a closed mind.

What a terrible, discriminatory, ageist attitude. I'm so happy I've never met anyone around that age who has such a closed mind.
Yeah, she’s got a great sense of humour too, she’s quite the prankster, I blame the mum, I kind of adjusted to it but she still gets one over on me every so often....

Yeah, she’s got a great sense of humour too, she’s quite the prankster, I blame the mum, I kind of adjusted to it but she still gets one over on me every so often....
So you're just trolling with made up gibberish to mess up the thread?

So you're just trolling with made up gibberish to mess up the thread?

no, the stuff about loitering by bars she was serious...like I mentioned before this is where a lot of sex pests operate, the age stuff is her idea of a joke...sorry.

Back
Top Bottom