Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton food & drink news: new restaurants, bars, pop ups, cafes and more

Sadly, unless you are Ronnie Wood, 20 year olds regard the rest of us as dinosaurs, no matter if we consider ourselves to be “young”.

no, the stuff about loitering by bars she was serious...like I mentioned before this is where a lot of sex pests operate, the age stuff is her idea of a joke...sorry.
When I'm DJing I'm always keeping an eye out if I see predatory men hassling young women and inform the bouncers. They usually stand out anyway although there's plenty of young men who are equally happy to take advantage of pissed girls.

Sadly, unless you are Ronnie Wood, 20 year olds regard the rest of us as dinosaurs, no matter if we consider ourselves to be “young”.
I don't think that's always true. I go to a local small venue that has jam sessions and there's plenty of young 'uns who are happy to chat.

When I'm DJing I'm always keeping an eye out if I see predatory men hassling young women and inform the bouncers. They usually stand out anyway although there's plenty of young men who are equally happy to take advantage of pissed girls.

....well done for your vigilance, probs not the best thread for it but what are the signs of predators ?
Can we start a thread for all the parents to tell us what their children think please.
I take your point but as an old git I posted my daughters thoughts as I thought a youthful perspective was interesting, the derail continued because I was being asked about other things related and didn’t want anyone to get upset...

Yet another fast food restaurant for Brixton Village

...’someone I know‘ used to get really excited when one of these places opened but quickly realised they are not that great and boring to boot....

At a time when science is urging people to reduce their meat intake, it's depressing to see Brixton filling up with places flogging the stuff.

We’ve just filled our faces at The Great Indian Kitchen, which has taken over the old Brixton Cafe at 21 Tulse Hill.

Still very much a no frills place, but they’re nice people serving enjoyable home-style food. Lots of Keralan and Tamil dishes (dosa, hoppers, etc) plus some Sri Lankan things like watalappam.

Four of us ate well for £50 and v nice it was too. Can’t speak for the non-veg side of the menu, but the veggie stuff was good, as were the desserts - home-made semiya payasam and gajar ka halwa.

Not a romantic joint by any means, and maybe not quite up to Tooting standards, but good to have a South Indian place hereabouts.

We’ve just filled our faces at The Great Indian Kitchen, which has taken over the old Brixton Cafe at 21 Tulse Hill.

Still very much a no frills place, but they’re nice people serving enjoyable home-style food. Lots of Keralan and Tamil dishes (dosa, hoppers, etc) plus some Sri Lankan things like watalappam.

Four of us ate well for £50 and v nice it was too. Can’t speak for the non-veg side of the menu, but the veggie stuff was good, as were the desserts - home-made semiya payasam and gajar ka halwa.

Not a romantic joint by any means, and maybe not quite up to Tooting standards, but good to have a South Indian place hereabouts.
I've been meaning to order a dosa from them.

Good to hear about a positive experience. We bought some biriyani a while back and it was terrible and over priced. Sounds like the veggie option is the way to go.

And to level out my earlier praise about the Whiskey Tumbler - I popped in there last Saturday just to show a friend the place. I couldn't order at the bar so a bloke came around and took my order for two Amstels. I had to call him over when I was leaving and was hit with a price tag of £13.39 which is, by any measure, a fucking rip off. And, like a twat, I didn't quibble because I didn't want to make scene in front of the person I was with, but I'll bring it up with the owners the next time I see them.

But the rip offs hadn't stopped there. Still smarting from my wallet-draining pints, I went next door to the Brixton Art Club where two cans of Stella cost me eight fucking quid. I want to support independent ventures, but - ouch.

Not quite the same but I bought four cans of random small brewery beers from my local beer shop and it cost me about £25. Like you say, I want to support the beers and the shop but jeez.

Not quite the same but I bought four cans of random small brewery beers from my local beer shop and it cost me about £25. Like you say, I want to support the beers and the shop but jeez.

four big cans of relatively local ( dorset) and fully independent fursty ferret £5 in the co-op, it’s a no brainer 😂

I can recommend the home delivery as well.

At a time when science is urging people to reduce their meat intake, it's depressing to see Brixton filling up with places flogging the stuff.
....more chicken than you can shake a stick at....

”Those from (confirmed so far) Shoreditch, Hackney, Dalston, Brixton, Camberwell, Queen’s Park and Willesden will also be able order food from RAPS on Deliveroo. Kitchen Ventures, who are also working with Tinie Tempah at Willows on the Roof, will be helping to cook up and deliver the food to peckish Londoners.”

I think going to student nights expecting them to be cutting edge is probably your first mistake. going to student nights being your second.
I recall going to a student night in Manchester University Union to see Ken Boothe - who had recently had a hit with "Everything I own"
His costume for Manchester was spectacular Jamaican camp - shining gold/yellow jump suit. Obviously too much to be allowed on Top of the Pops

The concert was poorly attended, which was a shame because the backing group, The Cimarons, were spectacularly good.
I guess we could say that Russell Group Universities in the 1970s were not black-friendly. Actually most of my black friends went to Manchester Poly (now Manchester Metropolitan University).

To get to the point - in these divisive days it is sad how apparently right-on people definine thier tastes by how crap everyone else is.
I've lost count of the times people have told me the Beehive is full of old black men. And the carpet is sticky, not to mention the seats.
Chacun à son goût - but no-one is going to tell me to empty my bank account to avoid black men and sticky carpets.

Not 100% sure of your point but my main point was student nights in my day weren't cutting edge. Especially in Manchester where real cutting edge music was plentiful.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom