Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton coronavirus: local help, resources, business closures and news

It's moving so fast at the moment that the 7 day rate is probably not that useful, at such a local level, for judging what the current relative situation is.

So the darkest purple's become so meaningless they have to add a new category

"From 21 December 2021, an additional category will be added to the cases map to show 7-day rates of newly reported cases that are greater than 1,600 per 100,000 people."

Rates are looking pretty crazy across Lambeth but especially so in Acre Lane, according to the government maps. Feeling slightly better that I don't live in that anymore but since I still live just down the road, not so muc

Acre Lane MSOA MBC has a 7 day rate of 3,611/100K (Brixton Hill East being 2,652).

4459 now! Sort of does feel a bit crazy and unworldly.

But then the local street WhatsApp does seem to have several people infected. Also you hear people talking at cafes or shops talking about their friends or flatmates being infected so

Just tried four pharmacies in central Brixton - none have lateral flow test kits. I think people will be better off ordering by mail.

Rates are looking pretty crazy across Lambeth but especially so in Acre Lane, according to the government maps. Feeling slightly better that I don't live in that anymore but since I still live just down the road, not so muc

Acre Lane MSOA MBC has a 7 day rate of 3,611/100K (Brixton Hill East being 2,652).

The Daily Mail has written this up in a rather florid way.

I don't think much about the Acre Lane church in that article is right - its currently an obscure Indian protestant sect.
Presumably if it had still been the 8th Church of Christ Scientist it would have been Antivaxxer by default - send for a Christian Science healer and all that.

Someone on Twitter has cross referenced Acre Lane MSOA with census data and drawn the view that the area is actually pretty young and white, with high booster uptake. He contrasted it to Loughborough Road MSOA, which has much lower infection rates, at least compared to Acre Lane (still high compared to wider UK, but that's probably true for most of London), which has is more representative of Lambeth's population - older, less white. His view is that the infection therefore must be higher due to Acre Lane's population having a high degree of young people flatting and going out regularly. Whereas presumably Loughborough has more normal or family households who don't spend as much time in pubs or clubs during a pandemic.

Someone on Twitter has cross referenced Acre Lane MSOA with census data and drawn the view that the area is actually pretty young and white, with high booster uptake. He contrasted it to Loughborough Road MSOA, which has much lower infection rates, at least compared to Acre Lane (still high compared to wider UK, but that's probably true for most of London), which has is more representative of Lambeth's population - older, less white. His view is that the infection therefore must be higher due to Acre Lane's population having a high degree of young people flatting and going out regularly. Whereas presumably Loughborough has more normal or family households who don't spend as much time in pubs or clubs during a pandemic.

yes someone else on the twitter did a similar analysis and came to the same conclusion. Makes sense to me.

yes someone else on the twitter did a similar analysis and came to the same conclusion. Makes sense to me.

It sort of checks out - I walk through Acre Lane area quite regularly and Brixton Hill and the cafes/bars have been quite busy till about a week ago

Wellbeing Bus is at Stockwell Green mosque today, for your last min. Boosters and Lateral Flows:

Stockwell Green Mosque

• Day and time: Friday 24 December 10am to 3pm.
  • Booking information: walk-in vaccinations, no appointment needed
  • Further information: Pfizer vaccines (first & second dose) for people aged 16+, covid boosters aged 18+, flu vaccines (50-64 years), Covid test kits

I was trying to see WHAT areas exactly.
If he is referring to this Acre Lane then it turnsout the Acre Lane area, which stretches from Clapham North to Brixton prison and includes the St Matthews Estate has a bigger population compared with Loughborough Road Loughborough Road

Maybe its not wealth or sin that is at stake - just statistics.

....wheatsheaf community centre on south Lambeth road is the go to venue for north brixton/stockwell but don’t do walk in afaik.

<edit not sure if walk in is available generally tbh, but could be wrong>

Last edited:
Hello,

Is there anywhere in Brixton you can get a walk in PCR test?
Thanks

Replying to my own post in case anyone’s interested.

I was able to walk in and get a PCR test at the Angela David Industrial Estate on Somerleyton Road.

I went around 8am and it was very quiet. A booking is usually required so can’t guarantee you could do this at any time. Very friendly staff there.

Not quite sure what to make of receiving a postcard from Lambeth/Lambeth Together giving dates my household are invited to immunize at the Town Hall extension: 16-31 December (2021).
Considering this arrived at midday on 30th December it looks like a waste of time effort and money on someone's part - quite possibly Royal Mail holding joint honours with Lambeth Council on this one.
Seems to be a paid for mailout (see second image)
Test at Lambeth Town Hall.jpg
addess side.jpg

Yes, I got mine today as well :rolleyes:
I suppose if they continue the walk-in clinics into the New Year, it won't have been completely wasted.

(I walk past that walk-in quite often- it never looks very busy)

Back
Top Bottom