Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can now reveal what's happening to the shop mentioned just as "4" above, the old frame shop.

There's a shopfitter van outside (well there was 2 minutes ago) and there's a new canopy pronouncing it'll be "Asphair" - which I assume is moving up from about 4 doors down for some reason.

Is that what it says? :eek::eek::eek:

I've never been able to figure out what it said. :oops:

You can never have enough black hairdressers/barbers in Brixton. Maybe it's just a bigger property

Is that what it says? :eek::eek::eek:

I've never been able to figure out what it said. :oops:

You can never have enough black hairdressers/barbers in Brixton. Maybe it's just a bigger property

According to the review at http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/asphair-london

Asphair left my hair in such hot condition I wanted to make love to my scalp.

That's... an interesting way of saying you thought they did a good job.

They must be good - they have a Facebook group. I think the name is meant to be a pun on 'aspire' - it describes itself as "Top south london hair salon , creating styles for you to asphair to!"

According to the review at http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/asphair-london

That's... an interesting way of saying you thought they did a good job.

They must be good - they have a Facebook group. I think the name is meant to be a pun on 'aspire' - it describes itself as "Top south london hair salon , creating styles for you to asphair to!"

Wanted to make love to their scalp? :D:D:D

I'm so pleased I know what it says now though. I could only figure out the aspha and then couldn't work out what the other letters were

WE ARE LOOKING FOR JUNIOR STYLISTS AND JUNIORS. APPLICANTS MUST STUDYING OR COMPLEATED A NVQ LEVEL 1 IN HAIRDRESSING AND BE ABLE TO CORNROW*

Stylist - Aisha

All the letters of Aisha are in Asphair you know

It also hasn't been updated in, like, forever.

I seem to recall some 'controversy' about the place (I think it might have been mentioned on here too) last summer with a campaign by some local residents against the noise generated by it - from all night parties that seemed to regularly occur.

Who'd have thought a hairdressers would be an 'all night party location' - although I read somewhere that someone spent 4 hours having their hair done there.

Is having a haircut really such a 'social event' in the black community? All I do is sit and wait my turn at Van's, then ten minutes and it's done.

"Black hair" doesn't, by itself, take any longer than any other hair.

However, the styles often chosen by those in the black community - particularly women - can indeed be very intricate and time consuming.

Kingfisher weathervane atop KFC

Well, blow me down, I couldn't believe it. And what great weather for a weathervane.

(crap mobile phone pic attached)

kingfisher.jpg

It is a heron, & it is by Maggi Hambling, apparently.

Something to do with Herne Hill possibly deriving its name from "Heron Hill".

What would really help Central Brixton (by that I mean between the railway bridge and KFC) would be somewhere to have a sit-down that wasn't a bus stop and uncomfortable seat.

What would really help Central Brixton (by that I mean between the railway bridge and KFC) would be somewhere to have a sit-down that wasn't a bus stop and uncomfortable seat.

Try the furniture department in Morleys.

Some lovely soft furniture in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom