Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local unofficial car park/dumped car/stolen car/BBQ centre/drug dealing venue/takeaway food packaging repository/hang out outside the Barrier Block has just been cleared by cops and council officials with several cars being towed away.

The local unofficial car park/dumped car/stolen car/BBQ centre/drug dealing venue/takeaway food packaging repository/hang out outside the Barrier Block has just been cleared by cops and council officials with several cars being towed away.

Someone must have complained :D. I always wondered how that area got to be like that and thought that someone had permission to have those gates up to provide secure parking.

Came out of the tube about 7pm and looks like something nasty had happened. The bus stop outside Iceland was being police taped off and there was an ambulance, several coppers, a couple of crying teenagers and a big pool of blood on the floor :(

Just been past again and the tape is gone but there's still a massive blood stain on the floor :(

4 things I have noticed today:

1) A road crossing near Coldharbour Lane that says "look both ways". Don't think I've ever seen one that says that. They're normally "look left" or "look right".

2) Black and White posters of old film stars being put up in the arched recesses of The Ritzy

3) Albert's Fish and Chip shop on Brixton Hill which became something else is now something else and is called Peri Peri.

4) Shop between the old Hill Rise Chemist and Morley's Chicken (near The Telegraph) being done out. I've forgotten what was there before. :hmm:

3) Albert's Fish and Chip shop on Brixton Hill which became something else is now something else and is called Peri Peri.

4) Shop between the old Hill Rise Chemist and Morley's Chicken (near The Telegraph) being done out. I've forgotten what was there before. :hmm:

3. Is it open yet?

4. I -think- it was some kind of locksmith or something. Did it have turd-brown wooden panelling outside?

I love 'em, particularly the Bette Davis one.

I was on the bus and couldn't see them properly. I think the first one may have been Jean Harlow (or was it Mae West?), can't remember the next, and there was scaffolding in front of one. Clarke Gable may have been there but like I said, was viewing from a funny angle. Bette was on the ground at the time :D

Yeah, but saw a load of Asians out there today. Maybe a grocers?

No fittings inside yet so impossible to tell what it is

Be a bit silly if it was, it's not like we're exactly short of those kind of shops round there, particular with Sainsburys and Tesco within 10 minutes walk too.

The 'asians' you saw might just have been shop fitters because I saw a whole load of people there fitting that description ripping off the front and inside of the old shop a week or so back?

Be a bit silly if it was, it's not like we're exactly short of those kind of shops round there, particular with Sainsburys and Tesco within 10 minutes walk too.

The 'asians' you saw might just have been shop fitters because I saw a whole load of people there fitting that description ripping off the front and inside of the old shop a week or so back?

Yes, but Asians will often use people within their community (better communications/prices etc), so they could be family/friends.

Not to mention New Park Road

PS: Saw a guy with a turban. I don't see many builders with turbans

Brixton Hill today

288395636_f640d551fe.jpg

The old Texaco garage site on Coldharbour Lane has now had all the vast piles of rotting rubbish, broken bottles, heaps of chicken boxes and other junk removed, and has been sealed off with an industrial looking 'Stalag 14' style fence, adding a little bit more to the 'prison' ambience of the block.

I can now reveal what's happening to the shop mentioned just as "4" above, the old frame shop.

There's a shopfitter van outside (well there was 2 minutes ago) and there's a new canopy pronouncing it'll be "Asphair" - which I assume is moving up from about 4 doors down for some reason.

Also, 4 coppers and an ambulance on New Park Road, dealing with a drunk guy who seems to have been caught trying to piss against a wall. I assume the ambulance is because he is having difficulty standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom