Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out that the daughter of one of my neighbours was mugged outside her house at 3am this morning, she's ok but quite shaken, and had her phone stolen.

Sorry to hear that AJ

In other news am pleased to see the BHF charity furniture opening up over the road from Tesco. I really like nosing round these :)

I got excited by that coming home down Acre Lane after a Lidl shop. I hope it won't be a second-hand bookshop though. It would stop the British Heart Foundation one in Streatham being the best charity bookshop ever, and might impinge on Bookmongers.

I got excited by that coming home down Acre Lane after a Lidl shop. I hope it won't be a second-hand bookshop though. It would stop the British Heart Foundation one in Streatham being the best charity bookshop ever, and might impinge on Bookmongers.

Nah, it is purely furniture I am sure. They have one in Wandsworth near my office and one on Old Kent Road. In fact I so nearly picked up an amazing roll top bureau for £50 from the OKR shop but was very heavy and we were about to move :(

Coming down the hill this morning early on a bus, I noticed the distinct shape of a nuclear flask train heading over the high level railway bridge - possibly on its way to Dungeness? Is this a regular occurance?

Edit: I asked on an anorak forum I belong to and apparently it's 6O62 Crewe-Dungeness.

Was about to have a moan on the helicopter thread but it turns out it's the air ambulance, landed on the grass outside an estate on Brixton Hill. Nothing much seems to be happening though, maybe they're just visiting a friend.

Was about to have a moan on the helicopter thread but it turns out it's the air ambulance, landed on the grass outside an estate on Brixton Hill. Nothing much seems to be happening though, maybe they're just visiting a friend.

What part of Rush Common, top end or bottom end?

I might be temporarily deaf as I didn't hear it :hmm:

Coming down the hill this morning early on a bus, I noticed the distinct shape of a nuclear flask train heading over the high level railway bridge - possibly on its way to Dungeness? Is this a regular occurance?

Edit: I asked on an anorak forum I belong to and apparently it's 6O62 Crewe-Dungeness.

Yes, they quite regularly run along the bit of line between Brixton and Wandsworth Road.

I can't remember which, but on one of the stations along that route, I've seen stickers saying "no nuclear trains past our houses" or somesuch other words to that effect.

Yes, they quite regularly run along the bit of line between Brixton and Wandsworth Road.

I can't remember which, but on one of the stations along that route, I've seen stickers saying "no nuclear trains past our houses" or somesuch other words to that effect.

I'd just not seen them before through here, that's all. I wonder what alternatives those with the stickers would like us to do with the nuclear rods to and from the power stations? Rail is by far the safest form of transport, and iirc the only accident involving a nuclear flask was the one staged to prove that the wagons were safe.

I have an old copy of the British Rail freight rulebook that contains all sorts of interesting information about the procedures to follow in the event of a nuclear train accident.

I'd just not seen them before through here, that's all. I wonder what alternatives those with the stickers would like us to do with the nuclear rods to and from the power stations? Rail is by far the safest form of transport, and iirc the only accident involving a nuclear flask was the one staged to prove that the wagons were safe.

Old_Dalby_nuclear_flask_test-by-Brian-Robert-Marshall.jpg

Which didn't prove they were safe. It proved that in the unlikely event of a head on collision with another train the flasks would survive provided the carriage stayed on the rails. It did nothing to deal with the more serious concerns about whether leaks would occur after a derailment.

It was a PR exercise that relied on ignorance. It doesn't matter how hard a horizontal blow you deliver to a carriage containing nuclear waste containers, it doesn't relate at all to what happens if the container itself experiences a heavy impact at its weakest point, something that is more than likely should such a carriage derail.

Not that I see it as something to panic about. It's just that the "safety demonstration" itself was a complete load of bollocks.

It's the bit after Tudor Close. They're still there and the 2 medics just seem to be standing around.

We passed and decided to sit down and take some photos of the helicopter. Great fun when it took off, especially in this weather, like some gigantic fan.

Maybe they were just practising landing on small areas as there weren't any police or ambulances around

First time on this forum, just thought I would say hi, living in Loughborough Road so should have a few things to post soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom