Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
those chairs:
e6ae4e53d4914a6a93ecf50c96300a6b.jpg

what were they thinking?

Hang on, they're bolted down and not just hanging around waiting to be used somewhere?!?

You didn't realise that? They've been cemented stupidly, artfully, into the floor for a few weeks now, just waiting for a public who want to sit at weird angles from each other and in specified numbered groups. Daft.

haven't really been in brixton centre much, only glanced in passing and though "oh, they'll be doing something with those chairs then"

I do feel a little sorry for the 'outcast drongo' chair roughly facing Effra Road. It's one chair with its back turned to a duo or trio of others, looking away towards the road as if embarrassed and lonely.

:D @ tarannau

I do wonder why so many of them are facing onto the traffic. Why would we want to face the traffic when we can sit and watch the children play charmingly on the lawn, and couples canoodle under the trees?

It's hilarious: a huge amount of money has been spent to make the new Square uncomfortable and inhospitable.

The War on Drugs demands easy access and good sightlines for patrolling cops. And the war on the poor and homeless demands there should be no benches, or any kind of surface on which a homeless person could catch some kip.

Perhaps, despite this lunacy, the Windswept Square will be a success. Here's hoping!

They should have made loveseat benches then people could sit with friends and chat or maintain some sense of privacy.

And people like to sit at the edges looking in not randomly in the middle being looked at.

I think we should all take to the square a whole lot of lawn chairs and leave them there to be used at will by anyone, anywhere.

In my fantasy version of the world, the chairs are never nicked or vandalised, just moved from place to place and used and shared by people having conversations and enjoying watching the world go by (and the children playing on the daisy-strewn lawn), and the whole thing becomes a kind of standing running (sitting) joke.

Incidentally, why could there not have been some chess tables or similar, like they have in Washington Square Park?

I think we should all take to the square a whole lot of lawn chairs and leave them there to be used at will by anyone, anywhere.

In my fantasy version of the world, the chairs are never nicked or vandalised, just moved from place to place and used and shared by people having conversations and enjoying watching the world go by (and the children playing on the daisy-strewn lawn), and the whole thing becomes a kind of standing running (sitting) joke.

Incidentally, why could there not have been some chess tables or similar, like they have in Washington Square Park?

chessboards are an excellent idea - they have those in leeds

Quite a lot, really. I'm sure there are plenty of threads discussing this issue elsewhere, Jonti.
Yep, you're right.

The drugs forum is full of threads complaining about the blue tinge to the lighting in the McD's toilets*.

What can it all mean?

* It is unwise to believe everything you read on the internet

I guess people would use them for checkers and dominoes and then where would we be? Interacting with your fellow man is not healthy, you know.

i'm not sure how you'd use a chessboard for dominoes, but why not let people play whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm others?
i propose a giant jenga.

Look, if people sit down to play chess, or draughts or (shudder) dominoes, then they might pass little packets of killer skunk to each other.

Citizens must be prepared to make these small sacrifices, if the war against the drug-using scum is to be won!

I do feel a little sorry for the 'outcast drongo' chair roughly facing Effra Road. It's one chair with its back turned to a duo or trio of others, looking away towards the road as if embarrassed and lonely.

Why shouldn't my council tax be used in something that benefits me, at last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom