Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was total chaos in Brixton as I rode through (in a blizzard) about 6.15 last night.

1. They were diverting southbound traffic up Atlantic Road - looked as if there'd been a serious accident opposite Morley's/Woolworth's.

2. A bus had helpfully broken down on Atlantic Road, outside the Portuguese shop.

3. Fire engines were in attendance at a building near the Esso/Tesco garage on Brixton Road.

The whole place had come to a standstill - I was pleased to be on a bike. Anyone know anything more about what happened?

The missus cycled past at the same time but we couldn't see anything about it online.

Sign outside what was the Iroko bar "For sale by auction".

The building seems to have been gutted - windows and doors gone, everything that was screwed down inside has gone, and quite a lot of what was from what I can tell. Looks a right wreck like a bomb went off.

Yeah, heard about that today. Wondering if they're:

a) trying to prevent squatters by making it too cold to squat
b) whoever put the windows in didn't get paid and decided to reclaim them :D

Taking out the windows might stop squatters, but it makes it easier for homeless people to "move in" as although it may be as cold as a shop doorway it's probably considerably dryer, and possibly slightly warmer if you can actually get out of the wind.

There's just something very strange about the whole Iroko thing. Not least some of the items they had on the menu...

Why is Atlantic Road closed off?
Is La Lupa ever open?
What is that new shop on the corner of Dulwich Road and Hurst Street?
Why has the Herne Hill pedestrianisation completely fallen apart...

Questions questions...

That'll be Herne Hill Books which appears to be linked to Clapham Books where should you wish to buy a book called "success stories in asian aquaculture" it will cost you £0.01 :hmm:

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't googled it now :D

Seems like a decent shop though, & what with the children's bookshop & the new Oxfam bookshop, Herne Hill is turning into a very bookish destination.

Ah no, but thank you - I've already been shopping at Herne Hill Books, it's tiny, but they seem to cram loads of stock into the shop and the staff are always happy. There's a reward card thing too, so I'm already approaching the free book stage. I can't imagine they're that happy that Oxfam is taking over the shop on Half Moon Lane for a dedicated book shop, but it seems a strange place to start a new business.

The repaving of HH is looking quite shoddy, and the taxi drivers have taken over again, using any available parking space but my comment is all becoming a bit HH Forum for my liking.

The venue I meant is "Le Garage" (yes it is actually called that), at the other end of Hurst Street oppposite the internet cafe. It's some sort of art gallery thing in a Hoxton sort of way.

Also at Herne Hill - next to the post office - a new cafe cum antiques shop next to the Post Office. It has been empty every time I've been past so far. Wonder what it's about.

My mother yesterday ended up pushing our pram down the bus lane on Norwood Road due to the "improvements" to the junction. She then collared some poor East European worker and started giving out to him about how disgraceful the whole situation is. Between her accent and his accent the conversation didn't go very far.... :D

Well it was the old car wheel / tyre place, so there's some tenuous, if fatuous connection.

Gaijingirl - where abouts do you mean? Next to the new sportshop? I'm too busy minding potholes on the road around there since the snow to take a look at the shops.

Oh and Mark Cavendish was at the Rollapaluza at the Half Moon last week. He's tiny.

Ah yeah, I think I saw them doing something to that place after the art installation thingy... Oh the bike shop on the corner of that parade now has a new mezzanine level and more stock.

Ah no, but thank you - I've already been shopping at Herne Hill Books,
The venue I meant is "Le Garage" (yes it is actually called that), at the other end of Hurst Street oppposite the internet cafe. It's some sort of art gallery thing in a Hoxton sort of way.

:oops: I did wonder why the name wasn't a bit of a giveaway for you ;).

I think it's meant to be generally good for trade if there's clusters of shops - i.e. if people begin to stop off in Herne Hill to look for books, then everyone's sales will go up. Although Herne Hill Books is a bit tucked away round a corner if you're coming from the station side.

I've seen people in the funny antiquey place that used to be Blockbusters - I didn't realise it was a cafe as well though :cool: (if the cafe bit is ever open, that is...)

My mother yesterday ended up pushing our pram down the bus lane on Norwood Road due to the "improvements" to the junction. She then collared some poor East European worker and started giving out to him about how disgraceful the whole situation is. Between her accent and his accent the conversation didn't go very far.... :D

It looked chaotic there this afternoon with pedestrians not quite knowing where to go (didn't seem to be any lights or signs for them!), cars stopped in the middle of the junction and some tosser driving a bus trying to make me give way (no way!). They should close the bus lane as that's what's holding up the traffic right now. And the whole works scheme just seems to be taking forever, doesn't it?

It looked chaotic there this afternoon with pedestrians not quite knowing where to go (didn't seem to be any lights or signs for them!), cars stopped in the middle of the junction and some tosser driving a bus trying to make me give way (no way!). They should close the bus lane as that's what's holding up the traffic right now. And the whole works scheme just seems to be taking forever, doesn't it?

not to mention that the enormous concreted area with a solitary tree bears no resemblance to the nice grassy picture they've got up with two trees in it. What was the point in that - why so much concrete? :mad:

not to mention that the enormous concreted area with a solitary tree bears no resemblance to the nice grassy picture they've got up with two trees in it. What was the point in that - why so much concrete? :mad:

This one?

Junction_Impression.jpg

I think the triangular bit between the main road and the slip road has always been shown as paved, hasn't it?

Oh that space looks big enough to have some stalls selling handcrafted breads, farmhouse cheeses and chorizo.
Fuck the trees;)

This one?

Junction_Impression.jpg

I think the triangular bit between the main road and the slip road has always been shown as paved, hasn't it?

I'm confused now - will take another look at the picture I was thinking of (where the actual works are). :confused: Either way - way too much concrete imo... and actually I think the whole thing is shit - but that's a whole other thread which has been done to death already I believe.. :(

Oh that space looks big enough to have some stalls selling handcrafted breads, farmhouse cheeses and chorizo.
Fuck the trees;)

Alternatively, the discrete drinker's corner which was taken away as part of this "improvement" could potentially be rehoused on that nice bit of concrete right there - put a few benches there and I'm sure the drinkers would be happy enough - although maybe not as happy as before. I'm sure no one in Herne Hill would mind anyway. Perhaps a chip van too?

Alternatively, the discrete drinker's corner which was taken away as part of this "improvement" could potentially be rehoused on that nice bit of concrete right there - put a few benches there and I'm sure the drinkers would be happy enough - although maybe not as happy as before. I'm sure no one in Herne Hill would mind anyway. Perhaps a chip van too?

Yeah fuck all this gastropub tweeness and gallery culture. Some visible streetlife will let the passing traffic know that the area will always be no more than a big junction somewhere between Brixton and Dulwich.:D

surely a joke. a drinkers corner in that concrete island?

the drunks can fuck right off. stalls from the local shops please, farmers market on wkd

I'm confused now -

There's been so much misinformation and nonsense about this scheme flying around (largely, it seems, due to FOBP being strangely short-sighted and dogmatic about the balance of benefits of the re-organisation of that junction) I'm not surprised.

Also at Herne Hill - next to the post office - a new cafe cum antiques shop next to the Post Office. It has been empty every time I've been past so far. Wonder what it's about.
It's got some expensive tat in there, nice enough though. They were playing classical music when I went in earlier. It's a bit weird to have it and the furniture in a video shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom