Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Atlantic Road closed off?
Is La Lupa ever open?
What is that new shop on the corner of Dulwich Road and Hurst Street?
Why has the Herne Hill pedestrianisation completely fallen apart...

Questions questions...

On a slightly unrelated subject, has the SouthSide finally closed down then. Went past a couple of Saturday nights back at peak time and the door was resolutely shut and the place in darkness.

Why is Atlantic Road closed off?
Is La Lupa ever open?
What is that new shop on the corner of Dulwich Road and Hurst Street?
Why has the Herne Hill pedestrianisation completely fallen apart...

Questions questions...

I think la lupa has closed. It looked empty when I peered through the shutters.

Is Negril any good? The punter reviews I've found either say it's dreadful or brilliant. :confused:

It's really good. Nice people that work there too.
I send American bands there all the time and they love it.
I like the idea of a place that does BBQ and Ital so everyone from vegans to rib-eaters are happy.

Anyone know if there any sort of Mediterranean/Lebanese/Turkish type take-away anywhere in Brixton? Haven't ever seen one but they seem to be springing up in other places.

Also, I can't find the Windrush square thread. Hmm.. If anyone can, can they bump it? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on the progress. Anyone know if there's any sort of official opening - looks like it might be finished soon.

Also, I can't find the Windrush square thread. Hmm.. If anyone can, can they bump it? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on the progress. Anyone know if there's any sort of official opening - looks like it might be finished soon.

Which one? There's a few of them (Brixton Central Square etc.)

Apparently the lights were switched on recently.

Anyone know if there any sort of Mediterranean/Lebanese/Turkish type take-away anywhere in Brixton? Haven't ever seen one but they seem to be springing up in other places.

there's a stall - one of the first you come to - on station road. I'm not sure what style of food you'd describe it as, but I suppose you'd describe it as Persian, or pan-Middle Eastern or something. Can't remember what it's called - I think it's actually got a very unpromising name, like 'Sizzles' or something - but it does great soup and all sorts of good stuff. Think I saw lamb khoresht on the menu last time I went past. Surprisingly good food for a stall. It has a few seats too.

For eating in, there's a Moroccan place on Acre Lane now. Keep meaning to check it out. Maybe I'll go there tonight. Feeling hungry now...

Blenheim Gardens is getting cherry trees.I think Brixton needs more cherry trees.
I reckon the world would be a better place with more cherry trees
Only when they're in blossom though

Blenheim Gardens is getting cherry trees.I think Brixton needs more cherry trees.
I reckon the world would be a better place with more cherry trees
Only when they're in blossom though

Oh great...aren't they the ones with the pink blossom that falls off and carpets the pavement and then turns into a brownie-pink sludge?

We need something like 100 year old live oaks imported from Mississippi. That'd be aces. I could build a cupola and drink juleps.

ooh you miserable old sod - who could hate cherry blossoms? :D

there's a couple outside my flat, they're a nuisance when they get on your windscreen

unfortunately the SW2 climate doesn't stretch to this:

adam-jones-live-oak-tree-draped-with-spanish-moss-savannah-georgia-usa.jpg

ah, Spanish moss:cool:

Which one? There's a few of them (Brixton Central Square etc.)

Apparently the lights were switched on recently.

Was that in some grand ceremonial way, or just switched on? I like them, actually. Particularly the way the trees are lit up from underneath, and the little strips of light on the path are interesting. Still think the lamps are ugly though. But the whole thing is so much improved by the grass.

The saltoun road paving is wacky. Are they going to do the whole road like that, I wonder...

there's a stall - one of the first you come to - on station road. I'm not sure what style of food you'd describe it as, but I suppose you'd describe it as Persian, or pan-Middle Eastern or something. Can't remember what it's called - I think it's actually got a very unpromising name, like 'Sizzles' or something - but it does great soup and all sorts of good stuff. Think I saw lamb khoresht on the menu last time I went past. Surprisingly good food for a stall. It has a few seats too.

For eating in, there's a Moroccan place on Acre Lane now. Keep meaning to check it out. Maybe I'll go there tonight. Feeling hungry now...

Thanks Matt. I'm going to check both of those out. I'd read about the Acre lane one then forgot about it.

We've been a couple of times to the Moroccan place on Acre Lane as we are 5 mins away. It's called Khamsa and is strictly speaking Algerian I think (at least the peeps that run it are) and no, I don't know what the culinary differences are.

Anyway it's good - well worth a visit. Pretty standard meze starters but more interesting main courses, some of which have been huge hits (real depth of flavour) and others so-so but never bad.

£30 for two plus tip when we were there last, and you can bring you're own with no corkage.

There was total chaos in Brixton as I rode through (in a blizzard) about 6.15 last night.

1. They were diverting southbound traffic up Atlantic Road - looked as if there'd been a serious accident opposite Morley's/Woolworth's.

2. A bus had helpfully broken down on Atlantic Road, outside the Portuguese shop.

3. Fire engines were in attendance at a building near the Esso/Tesco garage on Brixton Road.

The whole place had come to a standstill - I was pleased to be on a bike. Anyone know anything more about what happened?

Sign outside what was the Iroko bar "For sale by auction".

The building seems to have been gutted - windows and doors gone, everything that was screwed down inside has gone, and quite a lot of what was from what I can tell. Looks a right wreck like a bomb went off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom