Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not unheard of at all - for example Waterstone's on Picadilly still has the Simpsons lettering on it.

800px-Simpsons_of_Piccadilly_1.jpg

Also

061016_oxotower.jpg

I think it's a shame that the old Woolworths lettering has been removed.

They really could have stayed up couldn't they?

I think it could have stayed up too. If you at how high up the old Woolworths lettering was, H&M could easily have had their signage lower down - where the modern Woolworths signage was in fact. They could have changed the address so it was H&M, The Old Woolworths Building, Brixton Rd, etc.

257.jpg

It's a piece of local history that's gone forever when it could have been retained. It's a shame :(

Hmm...

I wonder if Simpsons and Hoover commissioned those building and so the lettering is part of the original design etc.....

Would be nice if it could have stayed but H&M association with failed company = unlikely.

Would be nice if it could have stayed but H&M association with failed company = unlikely.

They'd have no commercial justification for taking it down whatsoever. Any suggestion that the Woolworths lettering staying there would affect their trade is just rubbish.

H&M will probably not own/lease the whole building anyway. I'm pretty sure it was taken down because the building owners didn't give a toss and saw it as a maintenance expense. The sort of thing planning/conservation rules are supposed to prevent but as we already know Lambeth don't give a toss either.

Michelin building in Kensington - another example of a building that happily exists with lettering and branding from a former use.

4110364968_05d2986c27.jpg

H&M will probably not own/lease the whole building anyway. I'm pretty sure it was taken down because the building owners didn't give a toss and saw it as a maintenance expense. The sort of thing planning/conservation rules are supposed to prevent but as we already know Lambeth don't give a toss either.

I'm pretty sure it was taken down because it was an asset and could be sold off.

yeah I was gutted the Woolworths lettering went. dunno how anyone could think that some black holes and faded outlines could possibly look better than a handsome stylish 1940s (?) font.

there's a great example on Camden Parkway of an old shop front that's been preserved: an old pet shop that's been recently turned into a cafe. When I saw it was being refurbed I feared for its future. The shop banner is gorgeous and says something like "PARROTS - GOLDFISH - MONKEYS"

be sure to have a look if you're in the area. wish I had a pic of it.

And in the latest act of Brixton vandalism, The Gallery on Brixton Hill has tiled over the original victorian tiles in the take away section at the front of the restaurant using horrible cheap white tiles. I'm just hoping they haven't continued this throughout the historic interior. Anyone been in recently?

I must admit that I didn't notice that when I last went in. To be fair, they never struck me as that impressive, at last compared to other example of Grieg's (I think) stuff locally.

And in the latest act of Brixton vandalism, The Gallery on Brixton Hill has tiled over the original victorian tiles in the take away section at the front of the restaurant using horrible cheap white tiles. I'm just hoping they haven't continued this throughout the historic interior. Anyone been in recently?

Yup, been recently.

They weren't victorian tiles. They were grotty shit encrusted tiles. I'm guessing they replaced them to stop EH shutting them down..

Interior is the same but they have a new extension out back.

Yup, been recently.

They weren't victorian tiles. They were grotty shit encrusted tiles. I'm guessing they replaced them to stop EH shutting them down..

Interior is the same but they have a new extension out back.

Went past it yesterday. Hve they renamed it?

Yup. Can't remember to what though.

Nor could I and I looked passing it both ways. I know I initially thought it had changed to a Moroccan eatery for some reason? :confused::hmm:

I have to go by again tonight so will try to remember to have a look again

I thought it must have changed again to slip both of your minds. Honestly, I've not seen such forgetfulness and inability to roam since the 'lazy goldfish' convention of 1975.

Our job isn't to wander the streets of Brixton with an interactive map and pad, noting every new bit of lettering or littering for your benefit, tarannausaurus.

I thought it must have changed again to slip both of your minds. Honestly, I've not seen such forgetfulness and inability to roam since the 'lazy goldfish' convention of 1975.

I roamed yesterday, once past it on the way up the Hill, and past it again on the way back down the Hill.

That's twice :mad:

The sign was too high up for me to read and I had four bags of shopping weighing me down so couldn't be arsed to stop just so I could write it down for you :p

That temporary sign's been up there for a good few months though.

Us proper Brixtonians can't be expected to dally about in that part of the wasteland, reporting back to simple Hillites what they were too unobservant or unable to read.

I mean, I only pass that area once every odd weekend and how comes I've been able to answer questions on Portuguese eateries down there, from the Gallery/Lisboa to blinking Paulo's Decoration Disaster.

Eyes are so wasted on some.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom