Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, haven't seen any planning application stuff through the door about it yet.

Would you get something through the door? don't they just post something on a lampost outside?

They'd have to shut down the place next door too as that was where most of the noise the Telegraph got blamed for came from.

I know in the past we've had things regarding nearby planning applications through the door - but not always, I suppose it depends whether it's something major that requires a consultation, or something minor. I guess I'll have to look at the lampposts when I get home and see if there is anything put up.

Regardless of what they plan to do to it, I'm just not looking forward to the mysterious fire that seems to befall many other housing developments around this way.

Does anyone know if Lidl is open at the moment? We drove past it last night and it looked like a building site. :hmm:

You won't get planning notification until they submit change of use plans to the Planning Authority.

Sale's not been agreed, but the people selling seem very keen to shift it.

I'll await it with interest. Assuming, of course, I'm still in Brixton by the time they get round to it.

On Brixton Road / corner of Mostyn Road there is a planning authority notice regarding a development. This was a tyre place and then a used car lot for a short time and has never been especially aesthetic I suppose. The building has flats above that are occupied and it is a lovely old building, just not that well cared for it seems.

Does anyone know if Lidl is open at the moment? We drove past it last night and it looked like a building site. :hmm:

Nah, it's closed until the first week of February. I know because myself and Ms TruXta were the last ones through the doors when it closed. Even got loads of weird free food-like stuff at the till (sour cherry jam anyone?).

Nah, it's closed until the first week of February. I know because myself and Ms TruXta were the last ones through the doors when it closed. Even got loads of weird free food-like stuff at the till (sour cherry jam anyone?).

Thanks for that.

:(

The local NIMBYs win out, then.

Fuck. I know i said about the near inevitably of this with those imposed licensing conditions elsewhere, but it's still a smack in the chops to hear that once such a strong venue has gone down the swanee. It'll be the George IV/Southside next. Those places were packed every weekend till the very early hours once.

Fuck. I know i said about the near inevitably about this elsewhere, but it's still a smack in the chops to hear that once such a strong venue has gone down the swanee. It'll be the George IV/Southside next. Those places were packed every weekend till the very early hours once.

Would not surprise me at all if the owners of the George are purposely running that place down so they can say it's not making any money. It's impossible to know when they're open. People shouldn't be allowed to buy pubs if they're not going to bother opening them. :mad::mad:

According to ViewLondon website, this is George's opening hours

Opening Hours
Mon-Wed 11:00-00:00
Thu-Fri 11:00-04:00
Sat 10:00-04:00
Sun 10:00-01:00

Yeah right. It's probably open two or three days a week, and certainly not from 10.00/11.00am

I think part of the problem with Southside is that they did it up and it was shit. Mediocre food, rubbish selection of beer and a huge tv screen playing MTV or other such shit pop videos. If they'd done something decent with it, I'd use it as I live practically next door.

I think part of the problem with Southside is that they did it up and it was shit. Mediocre food, rubbish selection of beer and a huge tv screen playing MTV or other such shit pop videos. If they'd done something decent with it, I'd use it as I live practically next door.

Well then they need to do something to sort the problem because this has been going on far too long.

It's my nearest pub and if I knew when it opened, I may venture in occasionally, but there's no point. Would rather go to the Windmill. At least you know that's open every day. I spent many a night staying in all the various rooms upstairs when it was an Irish boozer :D

The only good thing they do/did was two-for-the-price-of-one burgers.

Went there on a bank holiday monday a while ago and they refused to honour it.

Haven't been back since.

I didn't know you were that type.
:(

Oh, does that sound dodgy? :eek::D

No, the old governor left his teenage daughter running it on her own (although she had two guard-dogs) and I used to help her out and we'd play pool when it emptied out. She wasn't mad on staying in a big property on her own and sometimes it was the early hours by the time I was going so I'd sometimes stay rather than walk home. She'd just tell me to pick whichever room I wanted. I think I slept in most bedrooms in that house (except hers) :D

What Southside's for? It's kind of tries to be a local pub that attracts very little local or regular custom, although I'm sure they have some kind of night activities that have passed me by. The signs for that traditional pub killer, salsa and happy hour promotion posters always add to the slight air of desperation for me.

I've been there a few times and the staff are nice enough, the burgers reasonable. But it's always been fairly sparsely populated (bar perhaps the garden on the warmest afternoons) and lacking in atmosphere imo.

What Southside's for? It's kind of tries to be a local pub that attracts very little local or regular custom, although I'm sure they have some kind of night activities that have passed me by. The signs for that traditional pub killer, salsa and happy hour promotion posters always add to the slight air of desperation for me.

I've been there a few times and the staff are nice enough, the burgers reasonable. But it's always been fairly sparsely populated (bar perhaps the garden on the warmest afternoons) and lacking in atmosphere imo.

It doesn't try to be a local pub. If it did, it would be open regardless of how many customers they expected in that night.

I'd imagine it's very difficult to get regulars when they can't be arsed to open. I would have thought that would be one way to actually get some custom, open regularly (ie. more than 2 or 3 times a week), get regulars in, people see customers in there and go in. You can't build up a regular clientele opening the hours they do.

By that I mean it doesn't seem to offer any events to really bring in people from outside the immediate area. Either that or the promotion's been in stealth mode and has passed me by.

Are you really going to trek down to Brixton Hill for a salsa night, a marginally reduced happy hour priced beer or a ok burger eaten on a concrete garden next to steadily belching traffic?

Point taken about the opening hours though

By that I mean it doesn't seem to offer any events to really bring in people from outside the immediate area. Either that or the promotion's been in stealth mode and has passed me by.

Are you really going to trek down to Brixton Hill for a salsa night, a marginally reduced happy hour priced beer or a ok burger eaten on a concrete garden next to steadily belching traffic?

Maybe they should do a pub quiz ;)

and open every day :D

Us Brixton Hillites are used to a bit of traffic pollution :D:(

That doesn't seem to affect the lovely Negril a few doors up but their front yard seems a little less exposed to the BH traffic.

True, but folks know why they're going to Negril to a large extent - it's got a good reputation for accessible West Indian influenced food and has built up a clientele.

On the other hand I'm still mystified why you would choose to drink in Southside rather than the variety of other boozers in the area. Unless you live close, and even then it seems shut.

True, but folks know why they're going to Negril to a large extent - it's got a good reputation for accessible West Indian influenced food and has built up a clientele.

On the other hand I'm still mystified why you would choose to drink in Southside rather than the variety of other boozers in the area. Unless you live close, and even then it seems shut.

Nobody would choose to drink there because it's never bloody well open :D

Actually, people with walking difficulties, the elderly or people who are scared of being out late at night anywhere further than a few minutes away, might have used it if it were open.

There's also people who might want to go for a drink and not have to listen to djs and loud music but go to have a conversation.

There's also people who might want to go for a drink and not have to listen to djs and loud music but go to have a conversation.

It's not much good for that either because of the way they refurbed it. The inside's rather cold and bare and echoey. Not somewhere you'd choose to go and sit on a grey winter's afternoon.

It's not much good for that either because of the way they refurbed it. The inside's rather cold and bare and echoey. Not somewhere you'd choose to go and sit on a grey winter's afternoon.

ah, that beloved minimalist look so favoured by trendy bar owners ;)

I think it's a shame that the old Woolworths lettering has been removed.

They really could have stayed up couldn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom