Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Windrush is a river in Oxfordshire, not a plant. Or a tall metal thing.

Ha ha...so those things technically do look more like mobile phone masts than the non-existent windrush plant:D

The name derives from a series of ship names used by the British government for the ships they owned or chartered for the carriage of troops. Many of these ships were secondhand (like the Empire Windrush was), and renamed when bought. The names begin Empire, and then added the name of a river in Britain. Among others well known at the time was the Empire Wansbeck, which from 1946-61 took British soldiers based in Germany from Harwich. The river Windrush is a minor tributary of the Thames, flowing from the Cotswold hills down towards Oxford.

It doesn't seem right, somehow.

It doesn't does it. Brixton's never really had clothes shops except for the cheapo ones, whatever's in Morleys and M&S.

Next we'll be having a.... (insert name of other shops that don't seem quite right in Brixton)

:eek: Coming home through Brixton just now I couldn't see the dancing chilli christmas decoration/streetlight adornment. Please tell me it is there and give it's exact location so I can rest easy!

:eek: Coming home through Brixton just now I couldn't see the dancing chilli christmas decoration/streetlight adornment. Please tell me it is there and give it's exact location so I can rest easy!

Dancing Chilli?

The sinister dancing Father Christmas is back in action outside Hootananny though.

Seems that it's SW9's turn to have the chilli dance for us this year! :p

I saw it on the left as you go north near the post office somewhere.

Looked to me like it was outside the UCKG church between Stockwell Road (by the Academy) and the next road north - the one way system where buses turn. Just past the police station.

Panic not. Your animated chili exists - and there's a stationary one on the next lamppost too.

But it's a very mainstream high street type of cheapo shop. It doesn't seem right in Brixton. It seems right in a shopping centre next to Gap, Zara and FCUK.

We've already got TopShop, Dorothy Perkins, New Look, Wallis, Warehouse, Evans and M&S.

Looked to me like it was outside the UCKG church between Stockwell Road (by the Academy) and the next road north - the one way system where buses turn. Just past the police station.

Panic not. Your animated chili exists - and there's a stationary one on the next lamppost too.

This - there are two.. one dancing and one not moving and a Santa Claus which, at first we thought was doing sit ups, but I think it's actually supposed to be going down a chimney.

Where's the rest of the dancing chillis though? :(

How long has this store being in Brixton? Seems like decades. Everytime I walk past it looks empty. Not sure how they make money, tbh.
2.5 decades in my memory. Not just one but two branches. In the same street. (Keep forgetting to check if they are both still there though)

Seems that it's SW9's turn to have the chilli dance for us this year! :p

I saw it on the left as you go north near the post office somewhere.

Thank you both. Thanks to you I was able to locate the dancing chiili and I feel much better now :)

This - there are two.. one dancing and one not moving and a Santa Claus which, at first we thought was doing sit ups, but I think it's actually supposed to be going down a chimney.

Where's the rest of the dancing chillis though? :(

It looks to me like Santa's falling down a manhole but, I think you're right, it's supposed to be a chimney.

Were there more dancing chillis before? For the past few years there's only been one hasn't there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom