Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton chitter chatter, part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I happened to miss a big wodge in the letterbox when we came back yesterday, I've just had post delivered.

You've just had post delivered. He said hello as I was making my windows dirtier.

Overtime after the strikes, I expect.

robbery in the market yesterday - apparently a guy went up to a woman, put his arms around her and made it look like they were canoodling. people around thought they lovers, or summat. he took the woman's chain and watch. the woman who told me about it wondered if he may have had a knife against the woman, as she didn't say anything or give any sign of the situation she was in. not sure if it was reported to police, hope so. guess they might pick it up on these boards!

that's a barcelona technique!

robbery in the market yesterday - apparently a guy went up to a woman, put his arms around her and made it look like they were canoodling. people around thought they lovers, or summat. he took the woman's chain and watch. the woman who told me about it wondered if he may have had a knife against the woman, as she didn't say anything or give any sign of the situation she was in. not sure if it was reported to police, hope so. guess they might pick it up on these boards!

spoke to mohammed, the Pakistani guy three stalls in from boots, who said the same guy had tried to give him a £20 note with blue something or other on it. seems a security van got robbed in Iceleand the night before (I saw the police there at about 9 pm), and this guy may well have been using notes stolen from there.

If it was late afternoon it probably was reported as the market was crawling with police acting like they were looking for someone.

A new Algerian restaurant/cafe - Khamsa - has opened on the corner of Acre Lane and Solon Rd (opposite Opus/Upstairs). Looks quite promising - couscous/tagines in the evening at £10-12 and run by a very friendly Algerian couple. We popped in Sat lunchtime and they were only offering salads/meze (eg baba ghanoush; merguez and chickpeas) at £12 for eight. Delicious they were too and I think the plan is to offer a wider range of food at lunchtime (including takeaway) as they bed in.

A new Algerian restaurant/cafe - Khamsa - has opened on the corner of Acre Lane and Solon Rd (opposite Opus/Upstairs). Looks quite promising - couscous/tagines in the evening at £10-12 and run by a very friendly Algerian couple. We popped in Sat lunchtime and they were only offering salads/meze (eg baba ghanoush; merguez and chickpeas) at £12 for eight. Delicious they were too and I think the plan is to offer a wider range of food at lunchtime (including takeaway) as they bed in.

ooh - this could be a nice new addition... will check it out. Thanks :)

Sounds good! Is it where De Bess was or the hardware shop?

New Park Road seems to have a single Policeman on patrol. He was walking around most of the evening last night, also 2 on pushbikes around for a fair time.

What a surprise :rolleyes:

Obviously why traffic was being diverted the other day when I went down Brixton. Couldn't figure out what had happened.

Another one today, around 7.30am, at the junction with Water Lane. The motorcyclist was at least conscious, talking and appeared reasonably comfortable as he was being attended to by the ambulance people, so hopefully not too badly hurt.

I noticed this morning that they seem to be doing a full strip-out of the ex-Woolworths space at the moment.

It's quite enormous when you can see all the way through to the back without obstruction.

Betty Evans Jacas has defected to the Tories from Labour councillor for B Hill.

Was she deselected to make way for Alex Holland (presumably the "Friends of Brixton Market" guy)?

Her former ward colleague Steve Reed was being less than gallant (and possibly in breach of data protection act?) about her on Twitter.

The little shop on my estate was robbed at gunpoint on Friday. No-one physically injured but an elderly customer and the shopkeeper naturally very shaken.

Youths (allegedly from the Guinness Trust estate) coming onto our estate and directly firing fireworks at random people.
I've got to say the firework problem isn't as bad as it was a few years ago here but it's still a problem.

Accident in Camberwell apparently causing a bit of disruption; although not necessarily Brixton related, if you're going that way on the 45 bus expect some redirection.

It's not particularly dignified is it.

Its the petty side of party politics I guess and in this way they're all the same, I bet if it had been the other way around the tories or lib dems would be equally rude about her.

Surely she will lose her seat at the elections in May - I guess she may have been offered assurances / indications that she would get a post with the Tories?

Is there anything before the May elections? I've started getting party based crap through my letterbox already.

Is there anything before the May elections? I've started getting party based crap through my letterbox already.

Not as far as I know unless Gordon Brown decides to hold a general election before May...

All the parties are beginning to prepare for the elections on 6 May 2010 - expect many many more trees to die between now and then all with the purpose of gaining your support for a particular candidate/party

Not as far as I know unless Gordon Brown decides to hold a general election before May...

All the parties are beginning to prepare for the elections on 6 May 2010 - expect many many more trees to die between now and then all with the purpose of gaining your support for a particular candidate/party

I shall simply have a short checklist to each candidate that knocks on my door, are you in support of .... issue yes/no - and tell them thanks for your time, you'll find out in May whether you answered my questions correctly or not, and not enter into any other debate or discussion with them.

Just remember "poly" means many, and "ticks" are blood-sucking insects.

I wonder whether a "no political leaflets" notice on my letterbox will have any effect?

Its the petty side of party politics I guess and in this way they're all the same, I bet if it had been the other way around the tories or lib dems would be equally rude about her.

Surely she will lose her seat at the elections in May - I guess she may have been offered assurances / indications that she would get a post with the Tories?

Actually I think you're wrong on that - Labour activists seem to have a particularly macho culture in my experience - hence them calling this woman a scab.... I dread it when meeting Labour activist friends of friends because they tend to be so unpleasantly hostile to me (as a Lib Dem).

In other Lambeth Tory news - Clare Whelan (Conservative councillor for Thurlow Park and wife of John Whelan) is on the shortlist for Norfolk South West (a safe Conservative seat IIRC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom