Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol Mayoral and Avon and Somerset PCC Elections 2021

Knowle Lib Dem HOLD x2

Gary "big dinners" Hopkins re-elected yet again. Lord knows why.

St George Central Labour HOLD x2

Nicola Beech & Steve Reed back once again

Horfield Labour HOLD & GAIN

Labour take a seat off the Tories after there was a single vote in it in 2016

What's the story with Brentry and Henbury being Tory? Good to see The Mead holding firm.

Asher is alright does a good job from the bits I see.

Recount in Central ward. That's Kye Dudd's seat, very marginal with the Greens

Hengrove & Whitchurch Park Lib Dem GAIN & HOLD

Clean sweep of all three seats here, Labour lose their single councillor

Easton Green GAIN x 2

Labour lose both seats here, including cabinet member Afzal Shah

There are now only two Labour councillors in the whole of Bristol West constituency

What's the story with Brentry and Henbury being Tory? Good to see The Mead holding firm.

Asher is alright does a good job from the bits I see.
Yeah Asher has a high profile and seems OK as these things go.

H&B is a very mixed area - some reasonably well off m/c parts together with the estates round Crow Lane & Station Road. Brentry is somewhat newer, quite m/c. The Tories here are well established and 'good' councillors. Lots of litter picks, campaigns etc. The usual. Can't see it changing until either Weston retires or Labour up their game substantially - the ward Labour Party are quite active but it seems a forlorn hope tbh

Easton Green GAIN x 2

Labour lose both seats here, including cabinet member Afzal Shah

There are now only two Labour councillors in the whole of Bristol West constituency
Starmer's visit didn't help at all ... he's inherited the Blair touch ...

Southville Green HOLD x 2

Tony Dyer & Christine Townsend elected in a seat that's often been very close indeed with Labour

Central Green GAIN & Labour HOLD

Cabinet member Kye Dudd loses his seat

Bishopsworth Con HOLD x 2

Tired old racist Richard 'gollywog' Eddy is returned safely

OK now this has shocked me

Bedminster Green GAIN & Labour HOLD

Celia Phipps loses her seat in Labour stronghold Bemmy. Green candidate tops the poll as Mark Bradshaw holds on

Westbury-on-Trym & Henleaze Con HOLD x 3

Stoke Bishop Con HOLD x 2

No shocks there really

ETA: actually one of those WoTHens is technically a Tory gain - the Lib Dems had one in 2016 which the Tories gained in a by election

Last edited:
Final scores:

Labour 24 (-13)
Green 24 (+13)
Con 14 (nc)
Lib Dem 8 (nc)

I don't think that's anything other than a disaster for Labour. Worse than I expected tbh, I didn't expect them to lose in Lockleaze, Eastville, Lawrence Hill or Bedminster

Labour HOLD & Green GAIN in Eastville

Usually very Labour but Greens have taken one of the seats

I wouldn't have minded if it had been the other Green candidate elected (Justin Quinnell) as he at least lives in the area. Now we have a social worker from St George.

fwiw I am alternating between being delighted at Labour's bloody nose and horrified at the triumph of the mung bean worshippers
At least Dyer and Townsend are at the rational end of the spectrum

And I managed even not to mention the clusterfuck that was Kiss-Me Kwik George's lamentable chaff-cloud, IfB 🤣

Council figures:

Greens: 85,325; 31.8% (+11.9)
Labour: 85,014; 31.7% (-4.9)
Con: 56,913; 21.3% (-0.9)
Lib Dems: 39,480; 14.7% (-2.2)

Narrow win for the Greens in the popular vote with the Tories practically treading water and Lib Dems continuing their steady decline, though in seat terms they appear to be holding their few remaining strongholds - the likes of Stephen Williams (outgoing H&H councillor) and Gary Hopkins (Knowle) do work very hard and get that incumbency bonus tbf

Must admit I was surprised the Tories didn't make any headway really - a narrow gain in ALW balanced by a decisive loss in Horfield their only striking results. As I may have said upthread, it would seem that the Labour vote has held up better in wards where the Tories are the main threat while it has crumbled elsewhere. Aside from their obvious multiple gains, the Greens also had striking results in ALW - where sitting councillor Jo Sergeant had defected from Labour and only just failed to retain her seat as a Green - and Filwood where they finished 3rd and 4th behind Labour.

The Green Party now have council seats in all four of Bristol's parliamentary constituencies and can reasonably claim to be either winning or polling well in a number of different types of ward - student heavy Central, the muesli belt of central north Bristol, affluent Clifton and areas that could either be described as only partly or hardly gentrified such as Lockleaze, Eastville, Bedminster, Lawrence Hill, Windmill Hill & Easton.

Comparing the council vote to the mayoral vote(s), it definitely looks like a chunk of Bristolians played safe with their votes by voting for the Labour incumbent (Rees) or the Labour candidate most likely to unseat the Tories (Norris) whilst taking the opportunity to vote with either their heart or to give Labour a kicking - you choose - in the council vote.

Definitely interesting times ahead in terms of cabinet posts, the budget and ultimately what happens in 2024. With Rees insisting he will step down next time, the mayoralty will definitely be up for grabs especially if the Greens can find a candidate who can capture people's imagination and attention in a way Hore-Ruthven failed miserably to.

As for what it means for the next General Election - well Thangam's got to be worried even if the others may still benefit from anti-Tory pragmatism amongst their constituents

My Mum voted Green for Mayor which I was surprised with though I didn't expect her to vote for Rees either. She did vote Labour for local counsellor as she knows her and as you said they have a good rep in Southmead. It was good to hear my Dad's UKIP vote hasn't then translated to Tory either. Starmer not chiming with either of them I don't think even though I think they are a target demographic of voter for them at the moment.

I'm not completely surprised at The Greens good showing to be honest and particularly in Easton. I think people see them as a safe alternative to Labour without having to go Tory.

Back
Top Bottom