Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol Mayoral and Avon and Somerset PCC Elections 2021

I prefer Rees to the Green bellend tbh

One lesson of Bristol politics is that everyone is ineffectual. Nothing happens here, ever. fwiw I think Rees has probably made more headway than anyone else, probably by ignoring everyone who doesn't suit him. Which is of course one of the chief criticisms of him.

I don't know about everyone being ineffectual, George introduced the fucking horrific 20mph all the time and everywhere limit.

Don't mind the 20mph tbh. There's a few roads where it's questionable but it's fine in most places.

In the end, Ferguson's main thing was to give jobs to his family to run waterslides down Park Street and plan for an arena that was too small. I have grave doubts about Rees' ability to effect much of the big projects he's working on and I don't like his style nor his dismissive attitude to the Kill The Bill demos but he is at least recognising what the issues are that need tackling and he remembers that Bristol does consist of rather more than BS1, 3, 6 & 7

I live in BS2 between Portland Square and Stokes Croft, it's like living on a building site as they are building so much luxury student accommodation around here that he has given the go ahead to.

First council results coming in...

Labour HOLD Southmead. No great shock and Helen Godwin & Brenda Massey are both very active and decent councillors

Recount in Hartcliffe & WIthywood apparently. They used to just weigh the Labour vote down there

Labour HOLD & GAIN Brislington East - TIm Rippington holds the seat he won in a by-election while Katja Hornchen wins the other seat from Tony Carey.

Carey won his seat as a Tory but joined the Lib Dems in 2019

Labour HOLD Hillfields x2

No shock here either, massively safe ward & deputy mayor Craig Cheney keeps his seat

Greens GAIN Lockleaze

Huge result, swing of at least 40 points. One of Labour's safest wards goes Green and that's two new Green councillors

First council results coming in...

Labour HOLD Southmead. No great shock and Helen Godwin & Brenda Massey are both very active and decent councillors

Recount in Hartcliffe & WIthywood apparently. They used to just weigh the Labour vote down there
Wrt to that recount, Labour currently have the top three places but the Tory in fourth is within 25 votes so has requested a full recount

Recount in Avonmouth & Lawrence Weston

16 votes in it between 3rd & 4th apparently

Greens HOLD & GAIN in Cotham

Already held one seat, now take the other from the Lib Dems

Losing Lib Dem is former group leader and current deputy leader Anthony Negus

Labour HOLD & Green GAIN in Eastville

Usually very Labour but Greens have taken one of the seats

Hartcliffe & Withywood Labour HOLD x3

Her Royal Highness Helen Holland, queen of Withywood, returns to College Green yet again

Lawrence Hill Labour HOLD, Green GAIN

Bloody hell, if Labour have lost Lockleaze and one of the Lawrence Hill seats then they are doing very badly indeed

Last edited:
Bishopston & Ashley Down Green HOLD & GAIN

Take one seat off Labour here. New councillor Lily Fitzgibbon is 18 years old

Henbury & Brentry Con HOLD x2

My ward. Boo, hiss. Tory leader and serial failed Parliamentary candidate Mark Weston returns

Ashley Green HOLD & GAIN, Labour HOLD

Deputy Lord Mayor Carole Johnson is out as Greens gain one from Labour

Avonmouth & Lawrence Weston Con HOLD & GAIN, Labour HOLD

Don Alexander holds on for Labour but Tories take the other seat.

Must say that having grown up in El Dub in the 80s when the estate would be covered in Labour posters even at the height of Thatcherism, this feels very weird indeed

Windmill Hill Green GAIN x2

Greens take both seats from Labour

Frome Vale Con HOLD, Lab HOLD

All square again in Stapleton

Brislington West Lib Dem HOLD & GAIN

Finally a Lib Dem win and they've taken one seat off Labour. How bad do things have to be to be losing seats to the Lib Dems?

Filwood Labour HOLD x2

In a result that should shock nobody, but who knows these days, Knowle West stays red

St George Troopers Hill Labour HOLD x1

Assume that's Fabian Breckells back, can't find the full result yet

Just over half way and scores on the doors are:

LAB: 17 (-9)
GRN: 14 (+9)
CON: 5 (-)
LD: 2 (-)

Going off 2016 results so counting Brislington East as a Tory loss rather than a Lib Dem one

Hotwells & Harbourside Lib Dem HOLD

Alex Hartley holds the council seat vacated by Stephen Williams by 26 votes. All them weird folk in harbourside flats don't go Green... this time

St George West Labour HOLD

Deputy Mayor Asher Craig holds her seat in the single member ward

Back
Top Bottom