Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brian Paddick for Mayor

Bob

Rusesabagina for a nobel
Apparently (according to various newspapers today) Brian Paddick is standing to be Lib Dem candidate for Mayor of London.

Good on him. He'll be great.

:)

London_Calling said:
What's your rationale for this conclusion?

I've seen him talk on crime - he's got really intelligent views on what works and doesn't from his experience at both the front line and at high levels in the police.

He's been the public face of the police during 7/7, he stood up to the idiots running the police over the Stockwell Shootings, he was one of the first popular senior policeman that Brixton has ever had.

Loads more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Paddick

Bob said:
I've seen him talk on crime - he's got really intelligent views on what works and doesn't from his experience at both the front line and at high levels in the police.
Okay, so you believe Paddick would be good for London on the Crime issue. What do you think of this information?

Bob said:
Apparently (according to various newspapers today) Brian Paddick is standing to be Lib Dem candidate for Mayor of London.

I asked him recently on a thread here if the story was true. He declined to answer.

Other newspaper speculation is that Lembit Opik will be the Lib Dem candidate.

Lock&Light said:
Unfortunately he is unlikely to win.

Indeed, because even if he makes the final two he is unlikely to take Tory 2nd preference votes

Interesting to see how much support he takes off Ken though (even though most of it is likely to flow back to KL on 2nd preference)

We could see a situation where Boris wins the first round, then loses on 2nd preference votes.

London_calling, Butchersapron, just who *do* you want as mayor?

I like him, but he's a Lib Dem
I 'like' Boris too, but he's a Tory.
I don't like Ken, he's a Labour cunt and he's a weasel, but he's good for London.

Orang Utan said:
I don't like Ken, he's a Labour cunt and he's a weasel,
Agreed
but he's good for London.

On many, many visits to the capital I've still yet to see an example of this man's "achievements"

I mean *real* achievements, not just spin.

butchersapron said:
Ian Bone.
I fear you may have a long wait

"On May 1, 2003 a total of 2,560 people voted for the Bristolian Party, which gained an 8% share of the vote within the 12 wards they contested."

At least they held their deposit.

The buses are massively improved since ken came in, and the congestion charge has meant an easier commute on my bicycle. He gets my vote for those two at the very least.

Crispy said:
The buses are massively improved since ken came in, and the congestion charge has meant an easier commute on my bicycle. He gets my vote for those two at the very least.
Uhuh

Crispy said:
The buses are massively improved since ken came in,

Is that Ken or TFL ?

Don't forget the way he puts that 'Mayor of LondON' logo onto anything successful from any part of the public sector.

Crispy said:
The buses are massively improved since ken came in...

The bendy buses are a really crap idea. Can we blame Ken for them? I guess so.

Do you remember when they were new and used to catch fire for some mysterious reason? Like fuckin' half-arsed jihadi buses! They've fixed that now, but they are still a really bad idea.

JHE said:
The bendy buses are a really crap idea. Can we blame Ken for them? I guess so.
This "we", who are you speaking on behalf of?

How would you transport so many people in the rush hour on central routes which have bridges too low for double-deckers. Perhaps employ two drivers, with two engines, with two maintenaince schedules, with two insurance policies, etc, etc, etc?

'But it doesn't go under a low bridge when I'm on it . . . '

London_Calling said:
How would you transport so many people in the rush hour on central routes which have bridges too low for double-deckers.

Where are these "central routes which have bridges too low for double-deckers" of which you speak? :confused:

AFAIK every bendy-bus route replaced either a double decker route (many Routemaster operated) or one of the "standing room" single decker 500 routes from the mainline termini.

lang rabbie said:
Where are these "central routes which have bridges too low for double-deckers" of which you speak? :confused:
Hang on, I'll just pop out to see.

I dunno, central south, London Bridge station and area to general Waterloo area maybe. North; bottom of Kingsland Road.

If you're seriously saying double-decker's haven't limited the route options in central London, then . . . good luck with it.

London_Calling said:
Hang on, I'll just pop out to see.

I dunno, central south, London Bridge station and area to general Waterloo area maybe. North; bottom of Kingsland Road.

If you're seriously saying double-decker's haven't limited the route options in central London, then . . . good luck with it.

I'm not saying there were no such routes, but there weren't many, and they were alreay operated by long wheelbase single-deck buses. If that is your best argument for the introduction of bendy-buses as compared to Ken's shameless reversal of a campaign promise to keep Routemasters ...

Crispy said:

I agree (those were both Lib Dem policies that Labour either opposed or couldn't afford) that those were good, but remember:
Livingstone is the only one of the contenders to tell a Londoner that they should 'go back to where they come from'

Also:
1. Abolishing the Routemaster when he said he'd keep it.

2. Raising fares when he said he'd freeze them.

3. Supporting the police uncritically over the De Menezes killing.

4. Supporting the government's anti terror laws that allow you to be detained for months without trial.

5. Taking cheap petrol for London from poor Venezuelans

6. Accepting the Evening Standards' money for years, then suddenly pretending he has a principled opposition to them.

7. Bendy buses - which are seriously dangerous for cyclists.

8. While on jolly with Chinese communists comparing the Tiananmen massacre to the poll tax riots. The poll tax riots are in no way comparable to the murder of up to 2,600 people (Chinese Red Cross estimate) by a brutal tyranny.

Yes I am a Lib Dem but all of the above are factual.

Paddick's a man of principle - that why I'll vote for him.

smokedout said:
you heard it here first

he denied on these very boards as well

Spam!:D :p

Tbh he hasn't a hope of winning but if he can contribute to making the campaign about policy rather than how 'funny' Boris Johnson's is then it's a good thing.

Bob said:
I agree (those were both Lib Dem policies that Labour either opposed or couldn't afford) that those were good, but remember:
Livingstone is the only one of the contenders to tell a Londoner that they should 'go back to where they come from'

Also:
1. Abolishing the Routemaster when he said he'd keep it.

2. Raising fares when he said he'd freeze them.

3. Supporting the police uncritically over the De Menezes killing.

4. Supporting the government's anti terror laws that allow you to be detained for months without trial.

5. Taking cheap petrol for London from poor Venezuelans

6. Accepting the Evening Standards' money for years, then suddenly pretending he has a principled opposition to them.

7. Bendy buses - which are seriously dangerous for cyclists.

8. While on jolly with Chinese communists comparing the Tiananmen massacre to the poll tax riots. The poll tax riots are in no way comparable to the murder of up to 2,600 people (Chinese Red Cross estimate) by a brutal tyranny.

Yes I am a Lib Dem but all of the above are factual.

Paddick's a man of principle - that why I'll vote for him.
What will Brian do then?

Bob - you seemed to have overlooked the crime issue you raised to begin with, please have a look at posts #1 to #5.

London_Calling said:
Bob - you seemed to have overlooked the crime issue you raised to begin with, please have a look at posts #1 to #5.
Yes, and you've also overlooked my question in post #6.

It's very easy to criticise an incumbent, but you haven't said anything about what Brian will do, apart from on crime.

Back
Top Bottom