Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breaks in Aberdeen

I only went out once to a faller last night. Funnily enough it was to a posh bird who confessed that she had
had a glass two many of a single malt and water too many; from Speyside. She had no idea where Speyside was :D

Delgaty aint a guided tour spot as far as i know cyber', just a wander at will place really. A nice chocolate coffee is available, not sure about alcohol. :)
Went there today and loved it, the information signs written by the dead owner were a plus as was the lemon cake, a hilariously jolly funeral party and a walk in the woods...

I don't think I've ever been to Berrybrae - Set-off once to go there but I think I got waylayed by other stuff in the area.

Memsie - Before moving to Insch in Aberdeenshire, my mother's family farmed the slopes of Mormond Hill overlooking it.

There was also a local legend that Elvis's family came from Lonmay, just beside Memsie. Later it was substantiated/accepted to some degree:

There is a book on local area that said the same thing and noticed the name Pressley a few times. Went to Aikley Brae today. Great circle, Julian Cope mentioned a stone looking like a phallus but he has a bit of a thing about stones looking like sex organs. In this case, he was however, correct.

Attachments

• 20210813_102521.jpg
    20210813_102521.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday's highlights:
Started with Leakey's. Incredible bookshop for browsing but couldn't find specific things.
Helmsdale was a lovely little place.
We took a trip down to the harbour at Lybster which was beautiful
John O'groats, had to be done and was much worse than I could ever had imagined.
Today will include castle Sinclair Girnigoe down at Wick, Dunnet Head and Thurso.

Everyone is very strict about masks. Back home please wear a mask was the request. Here is you must wear a mask or no mask no entry, very strict commands, yet they are taking cash or card whereas back home it was cards only.

C'mon the Broch: Fraserburgh vs Cowdenbeath

Boyfriend (tangerinedream, once of this parish) wrote about football (Fraserburgh v Cowdenbeath) for his blog if anyone interested in such things...

Good article. In the one game I was able to go to last season because of the lockdown etc, I had a chat with the Broch's captain whilst the opposition goalkeeper received treatment for an injury. Very amiable fellow and not too many semi-pro footballers would give you the time of day whilst waiting to take a free kick. Fraserburgh's very tight-knit; mostly local players and the club is a real institution in the town

Sauchie Juniors in the first round of the cup tomorrow at the Bellslea :thumbs:

Today, a walk along the sea front & beaches at castletown taking in some of the flag stone stuff. It was still, calm, warm and empty. Superb
Did dunnet Head which was ok
Old wick castle and the trinkies.
Sinclair girnigoe castle which was dramatic and superb. While there we took a quick trip to the lovely staxigoe harbour. Deserted and beautiful.

Ps. There seem to be very few pubs, bars etc. Up here, the meals average and we have yet to see a vegetable 🙁
Loved the tattie scone things served with breakfast.

Good article. In the one game I was able to go to last season because of the lockdown etc, I had a chat with the Broch's captain whilst the opposition goalkeeper received treatment for an injury. Very amiable fellow and not too many semi-pro footballers would give you the time of day whilst waiting to take a free kick. Fraserburgh's very tight-knit; mostly local players and the club is a real institution in the town

Sauchie Juniors in the first round of the cup tomorrow at the Bellslea :thumbs:
Tangerinedream has even purchased a Fraserburgh footie shirt!

Not quite finished yet. The pits is easy John O'Groats (it had to be done).
Highlights: Sinclair Girnigoe Castle with Staxigoe Harbour, Castletown Beach, Dunnattor Castle and the drive across the Cairngorms.
Ps. Also Lobster Harbour.
Really liking Aberdeen, it sparkles.

Last edited:
Bump!

Got a whole day to kill in Aberdeen tomorrow between an early ferry and an evening train. I've started reading the thread but any more current recommendations of stuff to do in the city itself would be great too please.

depends on what you're interested in doing. Artwise, there's Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museum, Peacock Visual Arts, various shows run by the Look Again group. Or just have a wander and check out the legacy of Street Art in the City.

if you don't care about art but like museums the Maritime Museum is always worth a look across the road from the harbour.

If you're a pub person look no further than the anarchist-run collective at Krakatoa, again very handy for the harbour. Further afield would recommend the Prince of Wales, Under the Hammer or if you're interested in meeting LGBT community, Cheerz.

Food: nice but quite expensive French restaurant here. Good Indians here and here. Not too many exciting coffee options in the city centre alas beyond generic chain stores. Maybe Mackie's in the City centre which is a great ice cream parlour. If you're adventurous and a big walker then go to Crolla's in Rosemount.

Aberdeen is very down at heel presently, don't be shocked by the very tatty appearance of Union Street, the main drag. Enjoy your day.

I've ignored your suggestions completely and spent all morning in Seaton Park. It's absolutely beautiful right now. Vast swathes of daffs still doing their thing, walked along the Don and just sat on a quiet bank enjoying the peace for ages, then back into a shock of colour and birdsong in the walled garden. Going to loop back round through the wetland bit and down the beach esplanade to do city stuff after lunch.

I've ignored your suggestions completely and spent all morning in Seaton Park. It's absolutely beautiful right now. Vast swathes of daffs still doing their thing, walked along the Don and just sat on a quiet bank enjoying the peace for ages, then back into a shock of colour and birdsong in the walled garden. Going to loop back round through the wetland bit and down the beach esplanade to do city stuff after lunch.
It’s lovely there. There used to be a couple of nice coffee shops in the Old Town, by the university, in my daughter’s time there.

It’s lovely there. There used to be a couple of nice coffee shops in the Old Town, by the university, in my daughter’s time there.
I wasn't impressed with the one I tried this morning but I'm a bit of a snobby coffee wanker :oops: There's a couple of others I've made a note of to try based on google maps ratings...

Just stopped for a sit in the sand dunes out at Donmouth now. The thought of heading back into the city and then London tomorrow, after Orkney, is giving me PreTSD :eek:

My neighbour used to be the head gardener at Seaton - He's not that long retired, so I would expect the place still showcases a lot of his years of hard work. :)

If you're a pub person look no further than the anarchist-run collective at Krakatoa, again very handy for the harbour.

Aberdeen is very down at heel presently, don't be shocked by the very tatty appearance of Union Street, the main drag. Enjoy your day.

Flash, who set-up the collective and still technically owns the place is an old mate..!

Yup..! :(

Back
Top Bottom