Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breaks in Aberdeen

there are plenty of castles, both lived in and ruins, stone circles and pictish stones if you like that kinda thing, Ellon has a nice cafe/hand made chocolate shop, the ice cream at the Post Office is very good too iirc :)

there are plenty of castles, both lived in and ruins, stone circles and pictish stones if you like that kinda thing, Ellon has a nice cafe/hand made chocolate shop, the ice cream at the Post Office is very good too iirc :)
Looking forward to my trip back to Aberdeen on Friday, I have just discovered Ellon is home to a massive, shite brewery 😱

Local legend is that the Culter Burn there is one of the sites of Rob Roy's many heroic burn/ravine jumping to escape Hanoverian Soldiers exploits. There has been a statue there since the 1850s.

They get replaced periodically - this one is around ten years old and is at least the third or fourth that I can remember on the spot. One former statue landed-up in the bar of the big hotel in Culter that's now flats - opposite the Chinese and when the place got sold a few years back, the new owners tried to sell it separately and had accumulated impressive bids but it was saved for the City museums by a court action because it was only on loan to the hotel and they simply forgot to ask for it back when the place closed. Yes, Culter is the sort of place that has a local "Statue Committee"..!

Borsalino - I know the old guy slightly. He's a right local character but has always had a good place there. His son is doing pretty well at continuing it now he's in semi-retiral.

Last edited:
Local legend is that the Culter Burn there is one of the sites of Rob Roy's many heroic burn/ravine jumping to escape Hanoverian Soldiers exploits. There has been a statue there since the 1850s.

They get replaced periodically - this one is around ten years old and is at least the third or fourth that I can remember on the spot. One former statue landed-up in the bar of the big hotel in Culter that's now flats - opposite the Chinese and when the place got sold a few years back, the new owners tried to sell it separately and had accumulated impressive bids but it was saved for the City museums by a court action because it was only on loan to the hotel and they simply forgot to ask for it back when the place closed. Yes, Culter is the sort of place that has a local "Statue Committee"..!

Borsalino - I know the old guy slightly. He's a right local character but has always had a good place there. His son is doing pretty well at continuing it now he's in semi-retiral.
Cheers pogofish, interesting.
The "old guy" in the restaurant burst in to song while we were there. He sounded classically trained, he had quite a voice. For all we knew he was singing the wine list. 😂

Well, that was a gorgeous few days in Aberdeen. We saw rain while we were having lunch today and as we were leaving. Was shorts n tees the rest of the time.
Can't understand the need for three languages. Scottish, Garlic and Doric.

Back
Top Bottom