Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breaks in Aberdeen

Never been to Trusty's Fort, no. Inverurie is pretty-much the epicentre of ancient Aberdeenshire, so you have a huge choice of sites that way! I'd also suggest you consider having a look at the Maiden Stone - A very fine Pictish carved stone just up the hill off the A96 at Pitcaple - and if there, if you walk down the hill a little bit, on the right is "Persephone" - a large modern sculpture in a little glade just off the road (no parking though).

Also nearby is Insch and the Picardy Stone - another very fine Pictish stone, plus the short walk to the hillfort at Dunnideer - which has superb views, several phases of occupation/construction into medieval times and hut circles cut into the hillside. There are a couple more ancient sites/circle remains in the same area but all significantly damaged or in fields that usually have livestock.

That little cottage just along the road from the Picardy Stone to Dunnideer was where my family got its Aberdeenshire roots down after coming from Moray via Buchan - it is restored as a private house now after a long time in ruins.

Also, over the hill is the large ruin of the mansion of Wardhouse, once home to Admiral Sir James Alexander Gordon, who was the inspiration for CS Forester's Horatio Hornblower! I have driven-up and had a look - the old steading/square beside it is still occupied but the house itself is visitable. Unless someone has started restoring it - there was talk of that maybe happening a couple of years back but it could be all hot air.

Also easily reached from Inverurie via the lovely "Lords Throat" back road along the river Don and the back O'Bennachie is the Old Keig stone circle. The biggest recumbent of them all and in a great location. There is a large place for forestry/farming trucks to park just at the head of the strip of trees it sits in, just jump the fence and walk down. The Modern Antiquarian site talks about people feeling "unwelcome" but I've never been bothered on any visit over many years and the last time I was there, I was pretty certain the nearby farm is no longer occupied or sold-off as a private house.

Old Keig

You could make a nice circular to Kemnay that way.
We sadly couldn't do all the things you suggested, my itinerary was a scrap of paper and all.over the shop. Kept going past places I remembered I wanted to visit and no signal so couldn't keep re-reading your advice. Did go to Bass of Inverurie which was brilliant, what a bizarre and wonderful thing to see in the middle of a cemetery. The pictish horse art was very impressive too. Saw the stone in the middle of the Modern estate, another one on the outskirts, went to aforementioned ruined Manor estate and had a good walk around.

just to give a heads up to Delgatie Castle north of Turriff. It's a thousand years old, fascinating history, waaay more interesting than any of the vulgar new money stately homes of England. Cheap to do the tour, and the 'lairds kitchen' cafe home bakes are exceptional. If you are in the area don't drive past :)
Arrived there too late to get in sadly! Thanks for heads up though

Arrived there too late to get in sadly! Thanks for heads up though
Save it for another day cyber'. Apparently Mary Queen of Scots stayed there for a time, i believe her bed remains in situ, but i could be wrong.. i go there for the excellent Cullen Skink.

Save it for another day cyber'. Apparently Mary Queen of Scots stayed there for a time, i believe her bed remains in situ, but i could be wrong.. i go there for the excellent Cullen Skink.
Thanks, love a castle with a good tearoom, preferably licenced! Hopefully will manage it before we depart. Wanted to go to another one the other day but can't stand two hour guided tours when people talk about posh land grabbing people with reverence when all you want to see is the haunted nursery.

Thanks, love a castle with a good tearoom, preferably licenced! Hopefully will manage it before we depart. Wanted to go to another one the other day but can't stand two hour guided tours when people talk about posh land grabbing people with reverence when all you want to see is the haunted nursery.
Delgaty aint a guided tour spot as far as i know cyber', just a wander at will place really. A nice chocolate coffee is available, not sure about alcohol. :)

Delgaty aint a guided tour spot as far as i know cyber', just a wander at will place really. A nice chocolate coffee is available, not sure about alcohol. :)
Sounds perfect, will let you know if we make it, def be back here again though. What a great part of the world.

Yes Peterhead is definitely an acquired taste. I'm only ever there for the football. Personally I've never seen any bother but then haven't lingered there too long following the full time whistle. Buchanhaven definitely had an edge to it.

The Broch seems much friendlier even if it is like going back in time, visiting there. Amazing fish and chips in the Broch near Bellslea Park served in 1960s style (starched tablecloths, etc). Fraserburgh (and nearby St.Combs) have lovely beaches, too. Plus the Lighthouse Museum is well worth a visit.

I'm more horrified by the price of their "Buffalo Cauliflower" - This product is truly on the drug-cartel scale of mark-ups..! :eek: :D

And if it was the Peterhead Brewdog, then it is probably forgivable - Some of the other pubs can be right scary places, esp since the Scotcher closed.
Without the bogof deal would have been 12 quid for small vegan burger with no fries, salad, anything. I am having lazy day today reading while other half and child go to bird sanctuaries.

Yes Peterhead is definitely an acquired taste. I'm only ever there for the football. Personally I've never seen any bother but then haven't lingered there too long following the full time whistle. Buchanhaven definitely had an edge to it.

The Broch seems much friendlier even if it is like going back in time, visiting there. Amazing fish and chips in the Broch near Bellslea Park served in 1960s style (starched tablecloths, etc). Fraserburgh (and nearby St.Combs) have lovely beaches, too. Plus the Lighthouse Museum is well worth a visit.
Boyfriend going to watch Fraserburgh play tonight for the sheer delight of a Scottish football match. I will stay behind. That Peterhead beer company is excellent.

Thanks to Pogofish, had a great time exploring the ruins of the amazingly spooky Pitsligo Castle in Rosehearty, looks like some teenagers have had a great time in there! Also been to caves and holy wells at New Aberdour Beach and a stunning old graveyard nearby. A particular atmospheric stone circle was admired at Berrybrae and an fascinating ancient cairn at Memsy. Tried to get to Gallows Stone as particular sinister legends attached but bulls in the way. Child hating me even more today.

Loving it cyberfairy but where is it.
Have just been chatting to mate in Inverrurie about what we might like to do ...she is suggesting Cairngorms and coast.

Neither of those would go wrong.

From Inverurie, I'd suggest making for Rhynie, then over the Cabrach Pass to Dufftown, then to Craigellachie and up to Grantown on Spey, where the Cairngorm massif looms-up in front of you and it is an easy drive to Loch Morlich or Aviemore.

Then you could come back via Tomintoul and the Lecht Pass then down Strathdon to Alford, where it is a short hop back to Inverurie - or the other way but any route will be good.

Last edited:
A particular atmospheric stone circle was admired at Berrybrae and an fascinating ancient cairn at Memsy. Tried to get to Gallows Stone as particular sinister legends attached but bulls in the way. Child hating me even more today.

I don't think I've ever been to Berrybrae - Set-off once to go there but I think I got waylayed by other stuff in the area.

Memsie - Before moving to Insch in Aberdeenshire, my mother's family farmed the slopes of Mormond Hill overlooking it.

There was also a local legend that Elvis's family came from Lonmay, just beside Memsie. Later it was substantiated/accepted to some degree:

Back
Top Bottom