Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breaks in Aberdeen

Mrs Tag loves a good rasberry. It will just be rasberry season and we all know the best ones come from Scotland. Very daft I know, but rasberry picking may feature if we were to pass a pyo place.

There certainly a few such places around Montrose and nearer Stonehaven.

The more we look the more we see there is to do. We will be extending to over a week. We hope to get up to Thurso for a day or two, maybe Falkirk also. Several places we have seen like the odd museum and heritage railway are currently closed ufn. We will need to keep our eyes open.

I've been to Thurso a lot over the years (dad's side of the family are from their) and I have to ask, what on earth are you going to see? :D I could maybe understand a trip to John O Groats or Dunnet Head but Thurso really hasn't got much to see. Are you surfers or something?

I've been to Thurso a lot over the years (dad's side of the family are from their) and I have to ask, what on earth are you going to see? :D I could maybe understand a trip to John O Groats or Dunnet Head but Thurso really hasn't got much to see. Are you surfers or something?
Dounreay...? :hmm:

Defo not surfers. I have never been to the Northern most mainland coast and it needs to be done. John O'groats is not that and besides, I feel it might be disneyfied tourist trap. Thurso is up there on the coast and has some hotels. The drives will give us a chance to see a little unknown countryside.

John O'Groats used to be a dump of a tourist trap but a few years back it got a makeover/rebuilding, so now it is a rather smart tourist trap. Prices are probably even more eye-watering.

Dunnet Head is the real furthest north point although the cliff/sea stack/beach scenery around both Dunnet and Duncansby Heads is much more interesting IMO.

I'm not so fond of the east coast/east side of the far north - At least north of Brora/Golspie. This is rather flat/open/featureless country - the real beauty here is the little places tucked away amongst the cliffs - Places like Whaligoe Steps/Harbour, Lybster, Clyth and Keiss (saw it in The Crown recently - Its where they blew-up Mountbatten!) Plus some rather fine castles/country houses and WW2 remains.

Inland however, once you leave the agricultural coastal belt - this is fantastic country. Remote, empty and with a lot of prehistory and history.

For me though, it starts getting better and better once you get west of Bettyhill. which has a truly beautiful beach - The scenery just transforms all the way till you hit Durness and the full magnificence of the North West coast. You can also turn inland at Hope, nr Loch Eriboll and head back to Helmsdale or Lairg via Loch Loyal Altnaharra and or Syre - this takes you through the emptiest and least visited stretch of country in the entire UK - and it is worth every minute of it. Empty, beautiful and with poignant remains of the communities destroyed by the very worst of the Clearences. From which the land has never recovered.

Last edited:
Dounreay...? :hmm:

When I was young, my nan lived in a tiny little village called Reay, just down the road from Dounreay. We used to go to a beautiful beach called sandsides. It had light yellow sand, dunes and stunning clear water. It was also overlooked by Dounreay and was eventually closed due to contamination. I swam in that sea every year from about 1975-1985. I probably glow in the dark. I've also been to it's visitor centre. Believe me, it's nothing to get excited about lol.

Think I was there and played on that beach in childhood too - I had an uncle who worked at Dounreay for a few years, before going aff his-heid and getting locked-up for his own safety..!

Then there was my dad's family, who lived not far from Holy Loch, which we often visited too - So that's glowing at both ends..! :eek: :D

John O'Groats used to be a dump of a tourist trap but a few years back it got a makeover/rebuilding, so now it is a rather smart tourist trap. Prices are probably even more eye-watering.

Dunnet Head is the real furthest north point although the cliff/sea stack/beach scenery around both Dunnet and Duncansby Heads is much more interesting IMO.

I'm not so fond of the east coast/east side of the far north - At least north of Brora/Golspie. This is rather flat/open country - the real beauty here is the little places tucked away amongst the cliffs - Places like Whaligoe Steps/Harbour, Lybster, Clyth and Keiss (saw it in The Crown recently - Its where they blew-up Mountbatten!) Plus some rather fine castles/country houses and WW2 remains.

Inland however, once you leave the agricultural coastal belt - this is fantastic country. Remote, empty and with a lot of prehistory and history.

For me though, it starts getting better and better once you get west of Bettyhill. which has a truly beautiful beach - The scenery just transforms all the way till you hit Durness and the full magnificence of the North West coast. You can also turn inland at Hope, nr Loch Eriboll and head back to Helmsdale or Lairg via Loch Loyal Altnaharra and or Syre - this takes you through the emptiest and least visited stretch of country in the entire UK - and it is worth every minute of it. Empty, beautiful and with poignant remains of the communities destroyed by the very worst of the Clearences. From which the land has never recovered.

This. The area around Thurso and on the coast road round to Sutherland and Cape Wrath is stunning too. I just can't see the merit in staying in Thurso for longer than a morning because it's really not got much.

You could get the ferry from Scrabster over to Orkney though. That's a great day out.

I'm not so fond of the east coast/east side of the far north - At least north of Brora/Golspie. This is rather flat/open/featureless country - the real beauty here is the little places tucked away amongst the cliffs - Places like Whaligoe Steps/Harbour, Lybster, Clyth and Keiss (saw it in The Crown recently - Its where they blew-up Mountbatten!) Plus some rather fine castles/country houses and WW2 remains.

Thurso to Dunnet Head would make for a walk?

I'm really jealous of your holiday, hash tag :).
We are not there yet. I suspect we will give maybe a day and two evenings to our mates in Inverurie. It's looking like we will be up for about a week, Wednesday to Wednesday probably. The only definate for now is travelling up on the sleeper on the 15th Sept to Inverness. The rest is all still open.

Reactions: Sue
Thurso to Dunnet Head would make for a walk?

Thurso to Dunnet Bay (another good beach) is certainly an easy walk but to the head, my memory is that it is rather more full-on. It is listed as a "three booter" on Walkhighlands, which usually means moderately hard going:

I have heard talk of a north coast foot/cycleway but its not listed anywhere I can easily find, so maybe it is still under development or called something else to avoid pissing-off the NC500 worthies?

There is also the Moray Coast Trail - Buckie to Cullen is IMO the most magnificent stretch but really, every section has something god, incl Burghead, Spey Bay and the magnificent beach at Lossiemouth.

If you're driving north from Inverness I feel I should warn you about 'low' flying jets :D They could be along side you on some roads, can't remember the exact road but it was on hte way to Caithness.
I hope your pals in Inverurie introduce you to rowies :)

Here has good berries

If you are in Inverurie, the Fetternear Estate at nearby Kemnay offers some good easy walking with a number of interesting sights - incl the remains of the old Bishops Palace, made famous by Time Team, some fine woodland/riverside/wildlife walking and railway interest - the green barn in the Walkhighlands report is the old engine shed for the former quarry railway. Plus "The Place of Origin" - a massive outdoor public art/sculpture project centred on the old granite quarry there.

There are several points into the estate - car parks just over the bridge on the back road out of Kemnay and at the restored steading/estate office nr the Fetternear Hall (dodgy rave venue in days of yore!) .

3426847591_3dcef33db0_b.jpg

3426848329_150c86ed3e_b.jpg

4685642.8521e1cb.1024.jpg

41409004.95fac9de.1024.jpg

:)

Last edited:

The JG Ross cafe/bakery on the outskirts of Inverurie is the place to go. They produce several styles of Rowie - this week's "Rowie of the week" is the Premnay Rowie. Chilli Rowies are always sublime too and their syrup biscuits - I can eat them by the packetfull.

And I'm not just saying this because old JG is a distant relation - they are good and the cafe too!

If you're driving north from Inverness I feel I should warn you about 'low' flying jets :D They could be along side you on some roads, can't remember the exact road but it was on hte way to Caithness.

Here has good berries
I remember being on top of Ben lawers many years ago and jet fighters were flying below us, at least it seemed like it. Terrifying.

I remember being on top of Ben lawers many years ago and jet fighters were flying below us, at least it seemed like it. Terrifying.

Seen the same in the Grampians and the Cairngorms - Back in the days of Harriers and Buccaneers, impressive low flying was pretty common but particularly impressive when it was US F-111s and there was a big mountain at the end of the glen they were barrelling-up..! They don’t use the Cairngorms/Highland Perthshire as much these days after a few high profile crashes - although I did see a pair of passing Hercs going up the Spey at about the same level as the viewing gallery in the Macallan Distillery a couple of years back but that was in very low season.

Just about everywhere in the west and north falls into an unrestricted training zone for most of each summer and planes from all NATO airforces can pop-up anywhere but especially on the routes to and from the Cape Wrath bombing range.

Mrs Tag loves a good rasberry. It will just be rasberry season and we all know the best ones come from Scotland. Very daft I know, but rasberry picking may feature if we were to pass a pyo place.

If you're on the coast road (A92) between Stonhaven & Montrose drop in here- Charleton Fruit Farm just outside Montrose.

A really good place for pick your own fruit, or they have great selections if you cba and just want to chill. Highly recommended.

Train to Inverness; booked. Hotel near Thurso booked for 2 nights. Car hire researched; pick up Inverness return Aberdeen.
Just an Aberdeen Hotel and return to book. Thinking 5 nights in Aberdeen City Centre for art, history & walking.
Carmelite Hotel anyone?

The Carmelite's a splendid hotel, fair play. Fine cocktails in the bar too.

a ten minute walk from Peacock Visual Arts (current show on radical printmaking in Aberdeen in the 70s & 80s- open Thu-Sun) and about the same to Aberdeen Art Gallery which you have to book in advance to see the British Art show.

PS would also recommend strongly a day trip to Dundee, there's a great show on the history of rave & clubbing at the V&A. A bit weird to see the material culture of your youth laid out as museum artefacts but worth a visit. Also the DCA and the Cooper Gallery just up the road from here are worth a look. If you manage to pack in Hospitalifield House in Arbroath and / or Deveron Projects in Huntly then you've pretty much got the full house.

Last edited:
We are having "discussions" about Aberdeen Hotels and having difficulty with a decision on anywhere. I would be happy with a Mercure but hey
I don't make the decisions.

This is a really outside hopeful one I know, what chance of seeing the Northern Lights I wonder.

At this time of year, next to none - January to March are the most likely times but late October/November is when they start with any frequency Outside that period, whilst not unknown, they are very infrequent.

I have suggested that, the Mercure, the atholl, Malmaison, station, accor and Chester to Mrs tag.

If by Mercure/Accor, you mean the Caledonian - don’t! We had two contractors stay there last week and they were not impressed and I’ve heard grumbles from other people who used to like it for regular visits to the city. The place seems to be getting run down since it last changed hands and the formerly free parking for guests is now fifteen quid a night and the great big building site across the road doesn’t help either!

The Carmelite is where we put our VIPs if that’s any help. The Atholl is a long established place with a good rep. The Chester is rather smart/showy but good - I accidentally walloped a billionaire in there once.

Malmaison looks pleasant enough any time I’ve been in.

Last edited:
Aberdeen has a lot of expensive but not hugely impressive hotels as an oil industry legacy.

Actually I have heard comment along the lines of “Aberdeen hotels are getting so much cheaper now” - maybe because we don’t have so much of an oil industry any more?

Back
Top Bottom