Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmaking

I have just set a treacle, fennel, caraway and vanilla loaf going.

I'm sort of tempted to add a pot of mixed peel, too - I can see it working with any two of the above, but am struggling to imagine it as a 5th addition :hmm:

HMMMMM

Second 1kg has just gone in. (I prefer whoppers bc I can go back to sleep in the morning whilst they bake. 2* normal loaves required more maintenance, and so more consciousness.)

Proved overnight @ room temp, so no slashes bc tbh it's just holding on wrt overproving. Currently struggling to find the right balance between room temp and fridge - have had a couple of great overnight room temp loaves, but even a coupla degrees difference in room temp can have a huge effect.

IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG

Edit: +1

IMG_0703.JPG

Last edited:
THIs is the start of a daisy patterned loaf (or amalgamation of rolls). One of my absolute favourites, in terms of appearance.

It's half the size I usually make em. (1kg instead of 2kg overall). And I think that might actually be quite an improvement :lol:

Quite keen on getting some sleep tonight, so may not let it fully prove. Will see!

IMG_0714.JPG

I had to chuck away my starter. :(

We'd had tiny flies in the kitchen for a while and eventually noticed that's where they were coming from. In that time I'd refreshed it (chucked away all but a teaspoon), so made the call to bin the lot.

Away for a fair whilst, but means baking with normal yeast when I get back whilsr sorting out a new one.

Maybe I should buy one with a long linage next time.

Second 1kg has just gone in. (I prefer whoppers bc I can go back to sleep in the morning whilst they bake. 2* normal loaves required more maintenance, and so more consciousness.)

Proved overnight @ room temp, so no slashes bc tbh it's just holding on wrt overproving. Currently struggling to find the right balance between room temp and fridge - have had a couple of great overnight room temp loaves, but even a coupla degrees difference in room temp can have a huge effect.

View attachment 117537 View attachment 117538

View attachment 117540

I want to eat your bread. :cool:

As I've had a fair bit of time at home baking recently, I've got quite used to home baked stuff. Going away to work and cheap super market stuff is just a different food. :(

View attachment 117537 View attachment 117538

View attachment 117540

I want to eat your bread. :cool:

As I've had a fair bit of time at home baking recently, I've got quite used to home baked stuff. Going away to work and cheap super market stuff is just a different food. :(

I had to chuck away my starter. :(

We'd had tiny flies in the kitchen for a while and eventually noticed that's where they were coming from. In that time I'd refreshed it (chucked away all but a teaspoon), so made the call to bin the lot.
Fruit flies love starter. That doesn't mean they're breeding *in* it! They drown rayt easy. (I know this, because drowned fruit flies are the reason I had to fake the results for my A level biology coursework.)

Obvs more than welcome to some free starter, should you want it. Costs me literally pennies.

Fruit flies love starter. That doesn't mean they're breeding *in* it! They drown rayt easy. (I know this, because drowned fruit flies are the reason I had to fake the results for my A level biology coursework.)

Obvs more than welcome to some free starter, should you want it. Costs me literally pennies.

That's dead kind. I'll drop you a PM closer to when I'm home so it's not sat around ages not being fed.

Loaf will be sold. Daisy is for eating. Could've risen a bit more, but not without sleep deprivation!

View attachment 117685 View attachment 117686 View attachment 117687 View attachment 117688

Looks fantastic. It's getting more into art now though isn't it? Does it taste any better for making it it that way?

Looks fantastic. It's getting more into art now though isn't it? Does it taste any better for making it it that way?
The flower loaf? It's 8 small rolls rather than one big loaf, and it's straightforward to tear off a roll. It doesn't need slashing (as the joints between the rolls form natural weak points), which is a trivial to non-existent gain.

Otherwise, yeah, it's just bread.

Edit: and it's bread that, in this instance, *really did need* another hour to prove :D

Treacle (200g+650 water - treacle's effect on hydration appears to require a cautious approach :hmm: ) and mixed peel.

Would properly make this again!

IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG

Edit: and, yeah, the difference between this and the last daisy loaf really shows the effect of a proper rise!

Reactions: pug
What is the stripyness?
During the final rise, it's in a cane banneton.

Unless the loaf is properly wet / overproofed, it holds its shape well enough to only come into contact with the (floured) raised bits of cane.

cane-banneton-1kg-round.jpg

(And if it does come into contact with the rest, then that'll probably cause trouble - it's a bugger to get a loaf out if it's stuck fast.)

What's the advantage to using one of them over just leaving it in the bottom of the bucket you have?
í) æsthetics, obvs :thumþs:
Ii) it's the right size. The bucket is vast.
Iii) that means that, as it rises, it's also shaped / held in shape. (Not the case with the tub).
iv) that also means there's less distance to drop. If I hauled it out of the bucket, it would be a malformed mess dropped from a foot up. And possibly in need of a reshape. Which defeats the whole point of the final proof. With the banneton, you just give it a jiggle, turn it upside down, and floop - perfectly formed and ready to go in the oven.

To clarify, it only goes in a banneton after a 30-60 min autolyse, 1-3 hrs in an oiled bucket, a preshape, half an hour on a surface, and another pre-shape tho. This isn't an oiled bucket replacement.

That all makes sense. :)

Picked up 1.5kg of mixed seeds in town today for £4.50 when doing some shopping for work. Not sure if that's a good price but it will certainly do a few loaves.

Pretty much a desperate bid to get three loaves baked before 1am. These have been sped up by my proofing cupboard and are going in together. Initial signs are catastrophic*, so let's see!

*warm loaves don't hold their shape *at all* well. And two in at the same time = no spare space on the baking stone to expand / splooge (apart from off the edges).

IMG_0757.JPG

Edit: if this works, tho, it'll literally pay my flour and energy bills for a week's worth of baking. Whilst still leaving me a loaf spare. So it's well worth it!

I find it amazing how fast commercial yeast does it's stuff. No starter at the moment and only home for 24 hours, so wanted to do a big loaf so I can take some away with me and leave some for my gf. Seems like I'd hardly left the dam thing and it was risen!

It's a use stuff up loaf, so a few different types of white, spot of brown and a bit rye, with a fair helping of seeds. Just to mix things up further I thought I'd use some melted coconut oil. Will see how that goes. :hmm:

For reasons unknown, I've suddenly been inundated w requests for bread. Friend of the wife's wants me to supply all her weekly bread needs, and 2 colleagues have just asked for loaves.

That's... looking quite logistically complicated. Errr, 1kg on Friday, 2kg thurs, probably another 2*1kg earlier in the week. And our fridge will only hold 2*1kg at any one time.

This will require some thinking.

You clearly need another fridge.
Yeah, we can't even fit 2*1kg if I've got lots of food. (We have territorial shelves).

Managed to bake 2*1kg together again today, which does open up the POSSIBILITY of getting up at 06:30 and baking 4 loaves (these two went in at 07:10, after I slept through an alarm), but the fridge thang still looks like a real bottleneck.

IMG_0811.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0816.JPG

Those ^^^ are already gone. Sold one unexpectedly, put out ¾ of a loaf for colleagues, and have had literally 1 slice myself. Oh well! Wasn't that interesting, tbf! Plain white flour (meh).

Need to also actually put bread income aside for flour. Otherwise I'll end up unexpectedly and idiotically broke when I next need to stock up.

Reactions: pug
Attempting to mix 4.1kg of dough in one bucket turns out to be, what could quite comfortably be called, a massive fuckup.

There are nuggets (small nuggets) of flour left in there. And the scales gave out 1.5kg into the flour weighing, just as an unknown spoonful was added. And I added a bit more when it all looked a bit wet. No doubt bc of the nuggets. Which I didn't discover until later.

I'd guess 60-65% hydration, tops. Ish.

It doesn't look promising.

Will it autolyse if you leave itong enough and then split it in to smaller batches for the machine?
Yeah, tbh, it isn't the autolyse (as such) that's the problem. Something has gone wrong with the initial mixing with a spoon, no doubt bc there's literally no spare room in the bowl.

I have done 2*2kg before, now I think about it, so it's particularly stupid for me to've gone for 1*4kg this time. Worst case scenario, I'll give away a couple of fucked loaves to the people who wanted to buy em, and hopefully generate a bit more goodwill. (The limitation there is my boss, who I think may be partly buying in order to cover some of the cost of the vast qties I put out at work, and who wants to pay more than I asked for. He may still want to pay me for substandard loaves. Which I wouldn't be very happy about!)

Best case scenario is that the flour nuggets will come out like nutty spelt berries. Not holding my breath there tho :lol:

Sounds like you need to step up your equipment. But hey it's a semi compering venture, so speculate to accumulate.

I've no experience doing what your doing, but I can bodge stuff! If you split it in two then batch mix forong enough, wont it sort out the nuggets?

Back
Top Bottom