Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Breadmakers

mattie

missing in inaction
I'm getting the missus one for Christmas - not my idea, I thought getting her anything for the kitchen would end in tears (probably mine), but she's dead set on one.

Anyone recently got one that they could recommend? Alternatively,any good places to buy one online? The ones on Empire Direct don't look that great, but I'm no expert.

I can't see it being used for making huge loaves, but a decent programmable one would be good. As it will be a present it would be good if it looked a bit swanky.

Cheers

Not a big fan of breadmakers. Sure, the idea of waking up to a freshly baked loaf is a nice one, but you wait until you set the timer, and get woken up at 3 am by the sound of someone being beaten to death in the kitchen. Or forget to put yeast in and end up having to clean horrible porridge out of the thing.
Can't help, sorry!

I love my breadmaker - its a cheap one from Aldi. :) My mum has a fabbo fancy one though - its a Panasonic and cost about a hundred quid - well worth it though. I almost wish mine would break so I can trade up. :D.

selamlar said:
Not a big fan of breadmakers. Sure, the idea of waking up to a freshly baked loaf is a nice one, but you wait until you set the timer, and get woken up at 3 am by the sound of someone being beaten to death in the kitchen. Or forget to put yeast in and end up having to clean horrible porridge out of the thing.
Can't help, sorry!

Once she's plugged it in it's out of my hands - I'll stick to offering useless and irritating advice when she tries to clean off the cemented-on dough. I'm used to the washing machine dancing round the kitchen late a night, so the breadmaker should be OK.

Ah how the topic of breadmakers divides Urban! :D

I've got a Panasonic one and it's top. Sorry I don't know the model number off hand.

Only thing that would make it better would be an automatc raisin/nut/seed dispenser so I could set it on timer if I'm making bread with stuff in it. It's not that much hardship though.

Otherwise, to be honest, I think they are all pretty reasonable. Just go out with a budget and pick one!

Mrs Miggins said:
Ah how the topic of breadmakers divides Urban! :D

I've got a Panasonic one and it's top. Sorry I don't know the model number off hand.

Only thing that would make it better I wish it had was an automatc raisin/nut/seed dispenser so I could set it on timer if I'm making bread with stuff in it.

Otherwise, to be honest, I think they are all pretty good. Just go out and pick one!

Yes, the automatic seed dispender is the thing that I covet on my mums. :)

Breadmakers are great. :cool: Mine packed up a couple of weeks ago after a few years' hard use, so for the time being I'm back on shop-bought bread - and it's bloody awful! Proper fresh bread is so much nicer. :cool:

Which one you get depends on how much you want to spend: you can get cheap ones for £30, or spend more and get more functions and probably better build quality. It's probably best not to get one of the very cheapest ones...

Mrs Miggins said:
oooh hoo hoo hooo that's fightin talk round here!! You wait til "they" turn up and read that! ;)

Bring it on! I'm ill and grumpy and all ready to fight my corner! :D

And anyway, no-one can seriously suggest that that CBP blotting paper you buy from the shops is any good, can they? :confused: :D

Chairman Meow said:
I love my breadmaker - its a cheap one from Aldi. :) My mum has a fabbo fancy one though - its a Panasonic and cost about a hundred quid - well worth it though. I almost wish mine would break so I can trade up. :D.

That sounds like the one I'm considering - a quick question, if I may: do the kneading blades drop out before baking, or do you end up with a big hole in the middle of the loaf?

mattie said:
do the kneading blades drop out before baking, or do you end up with a big hole in the middle of the loaf?

You end up with a hole in your loaf I'm afraid. It's only very mildly irritating.

mattie said:
That sounds like the one I'm considering - a quick question, if I may: do the kneading blades drop out before baking, or do you end up with a big hole in the middle of the loaf?

Some of the more expensive ones have a blade that folds flat once it's finished kneading, so you only get a slight indentation rather than a hole in the loaf.

Roadkill said:
Some of the more expensive ones have a blade that folds flat once it's finished kneading, so you only get a slight indentation rather than a hole in the loaf.

Really?:eek: Now that's fancy. WANT!

ooooh, this is one of my favourite thread titles :cool: :D ;)

I will always swear by and stand by the assertion that the Panasonic SD 253 is the best around - makes an absolutely perfect loaf every time and has an automatic raisin/nut dispenser. I love it.

I think they may have released a new model - the SD255?

this is the one I have

and this is the new model :)

hope that helps!

eta: I haven't bought a loaf since I got this last christmas - I use it ALL the time... because it's soooo good... if you buy this one, it'll never just sit collecting dust in a cupboard... I promise :D

crustychick said:
this is the one I have

and this is the new model :)

hope that helps!

eta: I haven't bought a loaf since I got this last christmas - I use it ALL the time... because it's soooo good... if you buy this one, it'll never just sit collecting dust in a cupboard... I promise :D

Wow - that has 21 five star reviews! WANT!

crustychick said:
ooooh, this is one of my favourite thread titles :cool: :D ;)

I will always swear by and stand by the assertion that the Panasonic SD 253 is the best around - makes an absolutely perfect loaf every time and has an automatic raisin/nut dispenser. I love it.

I think they may have released a new model - the SD255?

I too have the SD 253 - I got it this time last year 50% (£50) from BHS. Well worth the money :).

Back
Top Bottom