Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boxing

ba ba bahollocks!

Floyd was too good again, lovely countering & just took any initiative away....bring on the pacman!

Anyway....

and for the man at ringside....

Hello Mighty !

:)

hey there!!! you doing alright? hope so!!! :) x x x

that fucking match was A-MAZING!!!....im still giddy from it today. great stuff, i dunno how anyone could not like (LOVE) boxing ....floyd may talk alot of shit BUT fuck me he can back it up and does everytime so far...best fight ive seen in AGES and obv im glad Mayweather wo....w00t!! :p :D

hey there!!! you doing alright? hope so!!! :) x x x

that fucking match was A-MAZING!!!....im still giddy from it today. great stuff, i dunno how anyone could not like (LOVE) boxing ....floyd may talk alot of shit BUT fuck me he can back it up and does everytime so far...best fight ive seen in AGES and obv im glad Mayweather wo....w00t!! :p :D

I'm having the best year of my life,
Thankyou,
:)
I could introduce a boxing metaphor,
But don't wish to be a bore,
Warm regards to you,x

Freddie Roach interview

Interesting stuff indeed, about Manny vs Money, Money vs Mosley, etc..

Good stuff.

"We will knock him out"

Great shot of Jack Kid Berg

Berg.710-3-30.jpg

From here if anyone who cares for some cracking old school pictures http://www.library.nd.edu/rarebooks/exhibits/winkler_boxing/index.shtml

Been looking at some cracking old fights today too.

John Conteh vs Chris Finnegan

And this old beauty, Randall "Tex" Cobb vs Ken Norton, man what a fight, the last 4 or 5 rounds are just incredible

The above are part 1 of 4 or 5 but you can get the rest from the links on the right.

Finally, short little Ezzard Charles - Sweet Scientist clip

Some pointless stats her too, spent about 7 hours today just reading about boxing cos was quiet in work. :cool:

Fewest KO's/most bouts.

KO/Bouts........Name Years active

0 of 111........Nick DeSalvo 1924-1935
1 of 160......Yoichiro Hanada............1933-1952
1 of 136........Jimmy Dundee 1915-1925
1 of 126........Joe Marciente 1926-1940
1 of 122........Winston Burnett 1980-1994
1 of 122........Tommy Abobo 1926-1933
1 of 121.........Jackie Sharkey 1914-1926
1 of 117........Gene Delmont 1912-1925
1 0f 109.......Young Fisher.....1916-1928

Most KO's by letter of alphabet

Most Knockouts by Letter of the Alphabet

A - Henry Armstrong 101
B - Billy Bird 124
C - Jorge Fernando Castro 90
D - Roberto Duran 70
E - Gustav Eder 59
F - Tiger Jack Fox 94
G - Fred Galiana 90
H - Tsuneo Horiguchi 88
I - Billy Irwin 30
J - Joe Jeannette 68
K - Alabama Kid 108
L - Sam Langford 127
M - Archie Moore 131
N - Andy Newton 77
O - George Odwell 110
P - Jesus Pimentel 69 - Willie Pep 65
Q - Dolph Quijano 43 - Manuel Quintero 42
R - Sugar Ray Robinson 108
S - Young Stribling 128
T - Duke Trammel 86
U - Cardenio Ulloa Barria 48 - Jose Manuel Urtain 42
V - Martin Vargas 63
W - Jimmy Wilde 99
X - Alfredo Xeque 14
Y - Tito Yanni 33
Z - Fritzie Zivic 82

The Mayweather Mosely fight was beautiful. It reminded me of the Mayweather Gatti fight, except instead of fighting a game but limited warrior, he was fighting a first ballot hall of famer. It is genuinely a privilege to watch Mayweather at work. Whatever you think about him as a person, you will never see a better technical boxer.

Whatever you think about him as a person, you will never see a better technical boxer.

A guy i know goes to Vegas a lot for the fights (lucky sod) he has met a lot of the big names and says that Mayweather is the nicest,most approachable guy of the lot,even bought said guy a beer :cool:

The Mayweather Mosely fight was beautiful. It reminded me of the Mayweather Gatti fight, except instead of fighting a game but limited warrior, he was fighting a first ballot hall of famer. It is genuinely a privilege to watch Mayweather at work. Whatever you think about him as a person, you will never see a better technical boxer.

agreed, superb boxer

He's talking about the wonderful weekend of boxing coming up this w/end,
Speaking of which..

Tonight on Sky Sports Free
British Flyweight Title between Shinny Bayaar v Ashley Sexton - am really looking forward to this.

Tomorrow on Sky Sports Free -
WBO Interim Lightweight Title - Michael Katsidis v Kevin Mitchell
British & C'wealth Heavyweight Titles - Danny Williams v Derek Chisora
12 Rounds Super-Middleweight - James DeGale v Sam Horton
+ the other Olympians

Tomorrow on ITV Free
WBA Light Welter - Amir Khan v Paulie malinaggi (kicks off about 2:45) - Hopefully they'll show the Campbell v Ortiz fight on this bill too.

Not to mention the FA Cup during the day tomorrow too.

:cool:

Absolute fucking disgrace judging by Dave Parris (again) last night, utter utter disgrace. Am very :mad:

Was a storming fightback from Sexton from ninth round but he'd lost at least 8 of those early rounds and and 116-112 in Bayaar's favour seemed spot-on.

Joke, and to think Parris is the ref for the Mitchell fight tonight is ridiculous.

Put all you money on Mitchell to win, even if he gets KO'd.

I can't wait for the fights tomorrow!
Running order for tonight is.

17:15 Vinny Mitchell vs Daniel Thorpe Super-Featherweight

17:35 Ryan Walsh vs Eugene Heagney Super-Bantamweight

17:55 George Michael Carmen vs Johnny Greaves Welterweight

18:15 Billy Joe Saunders vs Andrew Butlin Middleweight

18:40 Frankie Gavin vs Gavin Tait Welterweight

19:20 Liam Walsh vs Ibrar Riyaz Super-Featherweight

19:40 Craig Evans vs Dan Carr Super-Featherweight

SKY coverage starts.

20:05 James DeGale vs Sam Horton Super-Middleweight

Follow: Freddie luke Turner vs Duncan Cottier Welterweight

21:00 Danny Williams vs Derek Chisora British Heavyweight

22:00 Michael Katsidis vs Kevin Mitchell Light Welter

FLOATER Matthew Hall vs Tony Randell Light-Middleweight

FLOATER Ricky Burns vs Yousef Al Hamidi Super-Featherweight

:cool:

Then Khan at 2:45

I really want to watch the Khan fight tonight after all this shit that Malignaggi's been coming out with but don't know a pub in the area where I'll be (Battersea) which might be showing it. Deeply frustrating.

Also, boxing experts is it going to be a tough fight for Khan or a walkover?

I hear that Malignaggi's flashy but insubstantial.

I really want to watch the Khan fight tonight after all this shit that Malignaggi's been coming out with but don't know a pub in the area where I'll be (Battersea) which might be showing it. Deeply frustrating.

Also, boxing experts is it going to be a tough fight for Khan or a walkover?

I hear that Malignaggi's flashy but insubstantial.

I wouldn't claim to be an expert but:

Malignaggi's pretty good, but he is really lacking in power. He's sort of a test case to see how far someone can go in boxing with good skills and a good chin but no punch. And when I say no punch I don't just mean that he's no knock out artist, I mean that he has trouble keeping top tier fighters off him.

It could be a good fight, but even taking into account Khan's less than stellar chin, I just don't think that Malignaggi can hurt him. Malignaggi is skilled, but I think that Khan is too fast for him, particularly when Amir doesn't really have to worry about taking a big punch.

On another note, if any of you don't fancy watching big Danny Williams and Derek Chisora plod around the ring after each other, Andy Lee's fight is on RTE in the same time slot. RTE stream their fights for free.

I hope that Danny Williams doesn't fight again. He had talent, but he never had the needed consistency.

The card in Limerick is pretty entertaining so far.

There are three Cuban former world junior amateur champions based in Cork as professionals, Alexei Acosta, Luis Garcia and Mike Perez. Guillermo Rigondeaux also apparently signed with an Irish manager, but is based in the US and there is an ongoing dispute over his contracts. I'm not entirely sure why all of these lads signed with Irish management, but it's certainly entertaining for boxing fans here because all three are very good. (Rigondeaux is arguably the best prospect in the professional game, and has a ridiculously good amateur record, but he isn't fighting here).

Acosta, a super bantamweight is 10 - 0 with 10 KOs as a pro. He wasn't on the bill tonight, but Perez and Garcia were.

Garcia moved to 6-0 beating an awkward and defensive opponent who was otherwise pretty limited. He fought as a Super Middleweight earlier but was a Light Heavyweight tonight. His opponent, Sipos is a tough lad whose job is basically to go the distance, which he did, but Garcia managed to look good against a guy who it's very difficult to look good against. I liked the cut of his jib.

Perez, a heavyweight, had been out of the ring with an injury for more than a year and was making his return to the right with a big of a gimmick - two pro fights in one night. The thinking seems to have been that it would get a bit of attention as a stunt, and, given that he was going to be fighting a no hoper anyway after so long out he might as well fight two of them and make sure of getting some rounds under his belt. He stopped the first opponent in the first round and the second in the third, not that the results were likely to be in doubt anyway. He's now 10 - 0.

Andy Lee is currently on against Mamadou Thiam, an over the hill former European champion. Thiam is a puncher, and as the cliche goes that's the last thing to go, so there is some risk but really this shouldn't be a tough fight. (Edited to add: And it wasn't, Thiam retired on his stool after round 2. He'd taken a bit of a pummellng in the first two rounds and it was announced that he was unable to continue after suffering a back injury).

Lee looked very good in the couple of rounds there actually were (as he should against a guy well past his best).

Manny Steward explained in a post-fight interview that Thiam was a front foot fighter and that therefore the plan was to force him to fight on the back foot - Lee was to move sideways rather than backwards when Thiam was going for him and then knock him back. That's pretty much what he did, and every time Thiam moved backwards, Lee unloaded on him.

Lee is in a difficult position in terms of getting good fights at the moment. Darren Barker (who lost repeatedly to Lee in the amateurs) is the European Champion, after winning the vacant title against a guy who had just lost to Lee. He's been fighting in Ireland since he lost to Brian Vera. Lee was well ahead on the cards and got caught and controversially stopped, and hasn't been visible in the US since. Essentially he's too dangerous and too low profile for fringe world title contenders to want any part of him.

It looks like he has two options - back to the States to rebuild his profile, or try to get Barker at home. Lee is a very bad match up for Barker, but he can sell out big venues in Ireland which could possibly make the cash attractive.

As an aside it's great that RTE are willing to put on 2 1/2 hours of boxing at prime time, and the analysts (particularly Bernard Dunne) are mostly pretty good, but the in fight commentary is absolutely fucking dire. I find myself watching with the sound turned off because it's actively distracting to have an idiot talking nonsense at you.

Also on the card, a great tear up between Jamie Power and John Waldron for the Irish light heavyweight title. A good advert for boxng between two decent fighters who aren't going to make many waves beyond domestic level. Waldron was the heavy underdog but he put Power down twice and won well.

Waldron actually looked a lot more skilled than you've expect for a 35 year old with 4 wins and 2 losses coming into the fight. He had a good, powerful, accurate jab.

Bernard Dunne just cracked up the studio by suggesting that the promoters should have put both of Perez's opponents in with him at the same time. Someone just mentioned that the guy he knocked out in his second fight of the night recently went the distance with Tyson Fury. Now Fury is no world beater and he deserves time to learn his trade, but it does give you an insight into his level of competition if the similarly inexperienced Perez is willing to take on someone he couldn't knock out as the second opponent in one night.

Running order for tonight is.

17:15 Vinny Mitchell vs Daniel Thorpe Super-Featherweight

17:35 Ryan Walsh vs Eugene Heagney Super-Bantamweight

17:55 George Michael Carmen vs Johnny Greaves Welterweight

18:15 Billy Joe Saunders vs Andrew Butlin Middleweight

18:40 Frankie Gavin vs Gavin Tait Welterweight

19:20 Liam Walsh vs Ibrar Riyaz Super-Featherweight

19:40 Craig Evans vs Dan Carr Super-Featherweight

SKY coverage starts.

20:05 James DeGale vs Sam Horton Super-Middleweight

Follow: Freddie luke Turner vs Duncan Cottier Welterweight

21:00 Danny Williams vs Derek Chisora British Heavyweight