Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blocking games from son's computer

nightowl

Another day on that hamster wheel we call life
Is there a way of doing this? He's had a problem with obsessive gaming which has led to his schoolwork suffering. The trouble is he needs the computer to do his schoolwork so I can't just disconnect it or shut off the wifi. Also, because the computer's in his room, where he spends most of his time with the door shut because he's in surly teenager phase, I've got no way of keeping tabs on whether he's actually doing his schoolwork or gaming.

Is there a way of doing this? He's had a problem with obsessive gaming which has led to his schoolwork suffering. The trouble is he needs the computer to do his schoolwork so I can't just disconnect it or shut off the wifi. Also, because the computer's in his room, where he spends most of his time with the door shut because he's in surly teenager phase, I've got no way of keeping tabs on whether he's actually doing his schoolwork or gaming.
Do YOU have a PC?

What game is it and how does he access it? (I. e is it on Steam or a browser game or something?)

I know he's playing online because he's always chatting to fellow gamers while he's playing. I know in the past he's got me to use my debit card to buy games online for him but I honestly can't remember the names of the sites. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Is there specific info I need to find out?

I would recommend firewalla. It can be configured so that you can set certain times to allow access to devices and times to switch it off so you can take full control of your complete home network. It's an actual firewall as well so comes with loads of security features as well. It's a very highly regarded home and small office security system available in a whole range of different devices. Downside you can only buy them directly from the U.S.

A similar option would be something like an Asus router which comes with free software that provides similar capabilities.

Disclaimer: I'm not a parent

At surly teenager age it might be an idea to discuss his priorities with him and agree if possible what limitations to implement, especially if he is able to agree that other things are being negatively affected by the gaming.
Just saying because I know what I would have been like at that age if someone had just taken over control of my stuff.

The annoying thing about the multiplayer games is you often can't duck out without negatively impacting other players, so to a degree you can also be affecting his social life, and also games can run on longer than anticipated, so this may all require more discipline on his part than if he were playing alone on something where he can save and run when time's up.

Blocking games is easy enough by becoming the administrator only you can decide what software he has access to. Parental control is different and has been covered up thread.

If your router supports quality of service you could reduce the bandwidth to his PC for just enough to be able to browse Wikipedia.

Yeah, I remember when I first got my son a laptop I set it up initially that opening an program required a password.

Yeah, I remember when I first got my son a laptop I set it up initially that opening a program required a password.
Yeah if you’re the administrator you can then set up additional accounts that then need administrator authorisations for stuff. This is more of a PITA than it used to be as Microsoft now want each additional log in to have their own Microsoft account. Although I’m guessing that parental control can then be done through that Avenue also.

Yeah if you’re the administrator you can then set up additional accounts that then need administrator authorisations for stuff. This is more of a PITA than it used to be as Microsoft now want each additional log in to have their own Microsoft account. Although I’m guessing that parental control can then be done through that Avenue also.

It can be skipped, but they don't make it obvious. However if the son is half tech savvy he'll find away around it pretty quickly.

£29 - Cold Turkey Blocker

But if has admin rights he’ll just uninstall it. So you need to set up an admin account and reduce his to standard user account.

less technical options I’d look at include moving the computer, or if an option unplug the internet.

On phone so can’t watch vid. So technically he can access my account? What is the point in having security such as passwords into it if that is the case?

I've not done loads of research to be fair. I suspect if it's an MS account with multi factor authentication then he's have a harder time, but probably still possible to elevate another account on the machine to have local admin rights. Where's there's a will there's a way, much like the lock on your front door mostly keeps honest people out.

I've not done loads of research to be fair. I suspect if it's an MS account with multi factor authentication then he's have a harder time, but probably still possible to elevate another account on the machine to have local admin rights. Where's there's a will there's a way, much like the lock on your front door mostly keeps honest people out.
Would be harder for my nine year old to accomplish given I had to set up an email address for him to set up a MS account and then I set that account to child under my authority.
But yeah, In some circumstances the child often knows more about tech than their parents.

Would be harder for my nine year old to accomplish given I had to set up an email address for him to set up a MS account and then I set that account to child under my authority.
But yeah, In some circumstances the child often knows more about tech than their parents.

Yes probably :D

I assumed (maybe wrongly) the OPs son was older.

Additional to my last post - does "obsessive gaming" mean "too much gaming in your opinion", or are you talking about something perhaps more serious that might merit some outside help?

Thanks for all the advice. Plenty to look into and consider. To answer a couple of people's question, we've had plenty of discussions with him, lots of promises from him about schoolwork etc so if his set of mocks results coming up are rubbish it'll be a case of no more chances, time for action.

Back
Top Bottom