Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black & White Stripey Tops - irrational dislike

im genuinely curious tbh, how 7 stripey tops might differ...if they do differ that is?

1. Ancient cotton Breton style from a stall on Kings Road c. 1990 - oldest garment I have and still wear. Might have to be buried in it.
2. One with lace on the neck
3. One with a frill down the front
4. Long t-shirt
5. Vest with irregular stripes
5. Short sleeves with square neck back and front
6. Jumper
7. Some other one I am struggling to remember as my OH is in the room with the wardrobe :D

1. Ancient cotton Breton style from a stall on Kings Road c. 1990 - oldest garment I have and still wear. Might have to be buried in it.
2. One with lace on the neck
3. One with a frill down the front
4. Long t-shirt
5. Vest with irregular stripes
5. Short sleeves with square neck back and front
6. Jumper
7. Some other one I am struggling to remember as my OH is in the room with the wardrobe :D
Genuinely impressed

I have 2 stripy long sleeved tops. One in black and white thick stripes and the other has navy and cream stripes.
I have two striped jumpers. One red and purply black in very chunky stripes...like 5 stripes in all. The other is charcoal grey with beige stripes.
That's it for stripes.

Now...move on to icelandic and fairisle...and that's a whole other picture .. obsessed.

1 vest with thin b/w stripes
1 t shirt with thick b/w stripes
1 polo shirt with medium blue/white stripes
1 long sleeved t shirt with thin b/w stripes
1 jumper with thick black/red stripes
1 jumper with thick stripes various colours stripes
1 jumper with thin yellow/black stripes
1 cardi with purple / white stripes

says it all 🤢
x23589.jpg
Breton tops are less ubiquitous in menswear, I think. In womenswear, the navy Breton - as either a lightweight jumper or long sleeve T shirt - is almost part of the middle class mum uniform. It’s all very Boden/Joules. It’s undeniably a classic, and although I am dispositionally ill-disposed to navy blue, I do understand the appeal. I like them better on men because they’re more unusual.

The Breton striped top was originally worn by French fishermen..
It was then introduced in 1858 as the uniform for all French navy seaman in Northern France. The original design featured 21 stripes, one for each of Napoleon Bonaparte's victories and the distinctive stripes made it easier to spot wayward sailors who had fallen overboard.

It started off as a not at all middle class garment. But has been appropriated by some.. including Kate Middleton.
So if the royals are ever lost at sea at least she will be spotted.

its been theraputic and educational

i should also say a have an irrational dislike of any kind of checked shirt
Check_shirt_e_s_vintage-177618-0-637175291968440350.jpg

though i think its to do with the horizontal lines within the checks ;) (the vertical ones are fine)

Last edited:
its been theraputic and educational

i should also say a have an irrational dislike of any kind of checked shirt
Check_shirt_e_s_vintage-177618-0-637175291968440350.jpg

though i think its to do with the horizontal lines within the checks ;)
My Merican man wears nowt but checked shirts or those kinda short sleeved airtex ones with collars? You’d hate his dress sense. I say dress sense in the loosest sense. Mind you I can’t talk, I have fuck all style, I model myself largely on All Saints. I greatly admire people with a sense of style and individuality.

My Merican man wears nowt but checked shirts or those kinda short sleeved airtex ones with collars? You’d hate his dress sense. I say dress sense in the loosest sense. Mind you I can’t talk, I have fuck all style, I model myself largely on All Saints. I greatly admire people with a sense of style and individuality.
images

:thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom