Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black & White Stripey Tops - irrational dislike

nonsense, 'going to the seaside' only includes submerging the legs as far as mid-calf, and doesn't include rivers, lakes & docks

I quite liked the idea of 'wild' swimming at Beckenham Place Park until I actually went there and saw you had to share the water with several varieties of fowl. Coming face to face with a grebe while having a dip is not my idea of fun.

I like olive oil and the odd bit of Scandi noir, though.

I quite liked the idea of 'wild' swimming at Beckenham Place Park until I actually went there and saw you had to share the water with several varieties of fowl. Coming face to face with a grebe while having a dip is not my idea of fun.

I like olive oil and the odd bit of Scandi noir, though.
i bet you like frothy coffee :rolleyes:

(the geese are the best bit of Beckenham ponds i think! im yet to be attacked anyway)

i bet you like frothy coffee :rolleyes:

(the geese are the best bit of Beckenham ponds i think! im yet to be attacked anyway)
Didn't see any geese - the thought of an encounter with a goose while swimming is hair-raising.

I like a good flat white, yes. :D

could've gone in the other thread, but why not this one?

here's the caravelles, a lovely 60's girl group who liked their swimming wild, with their cover of moon mullicans old chestnut, though you might remember ernest tubbs version better....

could've gone in the other thread, but why not this one?

here's the caravelles, a lovely 60's girl group who liked their swimming wild, with their cover of moon mullicans old chestnut, though you might remember ernest tubbs version better....

I like that the guitar is joining in the stripey fun too.

i was in stamford hill yesterday....forgot* how popular striped tops are with hasidic jewish women in particular

someone has even started a thread asking why so popular!

(forgot because i used to live there)

That led to this a Telnyashka. They often have long sleeves.
View attachment 285958
I feel like whoever made that Scottish flag made a mistake somewhere.

Anyway, I've still never seen it, but today I learned that the Fellini film Nights of Cabiria ends with the protagonist walking along while a guy in a stripy top and his mates dance around her playing a guitar:

Ska's nightmare?

Where and what is that?

From the page that hash tag mentions

Singing that well-known shanty:

What shall we wear to annoy ska invita ?
What shall we wear to annoy ska invita?
What shall we wear to annoy ska invita?
Early in the morning

Last edited:
I like stripey tops. Photo taken on boat to Brittany; coals to Newcastle next stop.

51421997519_24f7361efe.jpg

Stripey tops have been part of the (U.S. primarily) biker scene since the 1940s at least. I guess from the prison uniform to start with (Auburn system - Wikipedia).

Lee Marvin wore one in The Wild One (basically the blueprint for 'outlaw biker' fashion). I think he looks cooler than Brando with his magic cap and his zipped to the neck leather.

wild_one_06.JPGwild_one_01.JPG

Marvin based his character's look on Wino Willie Forkner, ex WWII serviceman and founder of the Boozefighters motorcycle club in 1946, ABOUT — BOOZEFIGHTERS MC.

At The Hollister Riot in 1947 (on which The Wild One was loosely based Hollister Riot - One Percenter Bikers):

image-asset-1.jpeg

Forkner wore stripes as he was a racer for the Yellowjackets MC (https://theyellowjacketsmc.com/history-1) so there's a prison stripe vs racing club split - prison stripes are all the way across; racing stripes just the arms.

rs=w-1200,h-600,cg-true.jpeg

Photo taken in 1968 showing Terry the Tramp (Oakland HAMC) kneeling to the right (arm on mc wheel). Standing behind him is original San Francisco chapter president Frank Sadilek apparently wearing Lee Marvin's striped jersey from 1953's The Wild One. It doesn't look the same to me though so either someone fibbed or Marvin had more than one jumper.

hells-angels-irving-penn.jpg

Now that there's a newish wave of middle class 'moto culture' (eg Bike Shed Motorcycle Club | Dining, Barbers & Motorcycle Clothing), stripey tops based on the above are all over the 'scene'; called prison stripes...

pull-de-bagne-moto-scaled-e1606770259460.jpg

The above possibly comes via Japan though; Japanese skaters/bikers took loads of inspiration from 40s/50s/60s US biker styles and made them incredibly cool and detailed. A guy called Go Takamine is a big name on the scene in Japan and 'invented' Brat Style (What is a Brat Style Motorcycle? Our Definition & BIKE FOR SALE | BRATSTYLE-ブラットスタイルBRATSTYLE-ブラットスタイル), stripes were/are a big part of that in the early-mid 2000s.

Screen_shot_2018-11-27_at_11.03.23_AM_large.pngfun-on-flat-track.jpg

Though that might also be inspired by Jack Nicholson in 1970's The Rebel (T)Rousers:

rebelrousers.jpg

Or you could go full midlife crisis O Brother, Where Art Thou?

876df02f0d419e1fcdf298e911f62a8c.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom