Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Black history lessons to be made mandatory in Welsh schools.

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
Well done Wales, let's hope the other three UK nations follow. :thumbs:

All children will be taught about racism and the contributions of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, the education minister said.
Almost 35,000 people have called for Britain's colonial past to be taught in school lessons.
Under changes to the new curriculum the teaching of BAME histories will be mandatory, Kirsty Williams said.
Ms Williams said it would help pupils become "informed citizens of the world".

Apart from racist loons, who could disagree with such a positive move?

While learning about diversity, identity and equality is mandatory under the new curriculum, there is no requirement for schools to teach pupils about slavery, the British Empire, or the Holocaust, Ms Williams writes.
Prof Williams said this was concerning as these areas were "topics of central understanding to the histories of racism and diversity".

Well, clearly there's more to do, but it's a good first step.

That's great.

I hope they will learn positive stuff as well as the stuff about colonialism and the Holocaust. I mean like learning about resistance to slavery, resistance to colonialism, etc. But also inventors and inventions, music, poetry, art, and so on from around the world.

History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake… it’s just one fucking thing after another

Welsh arts groups and professionals canvassed for the report on racial inclusion at these organisations as they raised concerns that “Welsh meant white”.

What a load of fucking bollocks. Most English folk also don't speak Welsh. Requiring Welsh language ability for a position in an organisation dedicated to culture in Wales is no more racist than it is anti-English.

During my last trip into West Wales I overheard the locals in a remote pub talking of Owain Glyndwr. He was the last native Welshman to hold the title Prince of Wales. Most of the locals were wearing pointed, brimmed, black hats and white, doily / net curtain type shoulder coverings, and had wooden teeth. My friend was looking online on his smart phone when they started murmering in shock and disapproval and declared him a Heretic. We fled the Pub followed by a crowd with sticks and pitch forks, and escaped through some caves into the welsh mountains. His static Caravan remains there to this day, I dont think he went back.

The idea of putting 'Welsh' and 'supremacist' in the same sentence tickles me. To me, the promotion of the culture is almost defensive, like it's been done because of 800 years of suppression and they're quite politely asking for it back. It's the only country I've ever been in where the locals apologize for daring to speak their own language.

It was the same up the valleys in the sixties and seventies. Lots of books of songs in music class, to do with 'Missa ram goat' etc. small kids with english text books about how some kid ate juicy mangoes and didn't want to go to the white man's school. Weird thing is that in those days there were one or two kids in the class who were black or chinese. These days there are not. And to my worry, there are people saying they wouldn't allow 'ethnic' types in the towns. Freaks me out. My friend is looking for a cheap house, but I suggest up the valleys, and she says things about the place. Trouble is I kind of see what she means. (my friend is a Pathan).

That's great.

I hope they will learn positive stuff as well as the stuff about colonialism and the Holocaust. I mean like learning about resistance to slavery, resistance to colonialism, etc. But also inventors and inventions, music, poetry, art, and so on from around the world.

Additionally, I really hope it isn’t geared toward blaming all British people for the bad things without mentioning the good. If it is then it risks dividing kids from each other and breeding resentment.

For example, I hope they mention the West Africa Squadron set up to intercept slave ships, and the blockade of Brazil to force them to abolish slavery.

And then there’s the spending of 40% of the countries’ GDP pay to pay off the scumbag slavers - a debt not paid off until 2014, meaning most people alive today have personally paid via their taxes to free slaves.

Also there was the various strikes by mill workers that took place in the UK against the use of slave produced goods, and the influence of Christianity on the thinking of people like William Wilberforce, as well as other non-conformist Christian groups like the Quakers.

Just my two pennies

Back
Top Bottom