Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bit Torrents For Dummies

LostNotFound said:
i kept trying the karagara signup and got in easyg. what a cracking fucking site.. thanks!!!!!

Just signed up too. Worked first time on my first visit just a couple of minutes ago. ;)

easy g said:
Karagara is the one that I've recently joined...it's pretty new, formed out of the ashes of DV I think. Specializes in arthouse/cult/classic/rare etc films...only 5000 members I think and it is invites only at the moment, I'm not a power user so I can't invite anyone but you can join their forums and state yr case!

It's new but pretty vibrant and people are obviously into what they are sharing...

membership registration is temporarily open :)

im using an emac and i apperar to be rather thick on the subject of port forwarding,my download speeds suck and i know this is where the problem is..
can someone using apple tell me how to open ports etc.."like you are talking to a 12 year old please"..
by the way,im too tired and interesting thread.

easy g said:
sorry...I'm no good with macs :(

oh, i dunno

flasher.jpg

Karagara is fucking fantastic :D

since yesterday, i've got

Strangers In Paradise
Down By Law
Fellini's La Dolce Vita
La Jettee
If...
Rushmore
Bottle Rockets
Motorcycle Diaries
Plymptoons
Ai No Corrida (curiosity, like ;) )
M*A*S*H
Together

which is pretty good going :)

easy g said:
how are you managing your ratio???

i don't understand the question.

that's bad, right?

i can see all these percentages and stuff. and i definitely leave abc open, and let things seed and all that. but i don't actually have a scooby what i'm doing :confused:

did you read the faq?

basically if you take loads more than you give back you'll be banned eventually...same as most BT communities...

that's why I have to be quite choosy what I download from there :) kid in a candy shop syndrome there innit!!

how do i 'give back'? is that by leaving things seeding? or actually uploading films?

see, i really don't understand this BT stuff at all

i've had a look round.. i don't have many DVDs they'd want (or they have them) but my ratio is 0.157 cos i've seeded a lot. is that awful or ok?

Dubversion said:
how do i 'give back'? is that by leaving things seeding? or actually uploading films?

see, i really don't understand this BT stuff at all

Seeding is uploading, the total quantity you upload has to be at least as much as you download or they kick you out of most of those things. Seeding new things tends to get you privileges (I'm not familiar with the exact site you're talking about) but it's rare to be obliged to do it.

but if i leave abc on, some people seed for a bit then it stops and says 'completed'.

do i just leave it in there indefinitely, and see if somebody else seeds it?

look, i'm thick, alright? ;)

(also, there's a bit of music on Karagarga and i have fucking SHITLOADS but i've no real idea what they're after.. i could upload gig after gig of music..

Dubversion said:
i've had a look round.. i don't have many DVDs they'd want (or they have them) but my ratio is 0.157 cos i've seeded a lot. is that awful or ok?

that's shite :D but yr new so it's understandable

they are happy with interesting music as well though...you must have something ;)

(I upped a Brian Eno collection...the 4 ambient albums and that went down ok...)
from the Karagara FAQ
Why do I get a "warning!" and could not download anything?

This is related to your share ratio. Read Tracker Rules and look at these topic.

Ratio below 0.2 and/or download more than 2 GB warning for 3 days and get banned if they ratio would not meet 0.2

Ratio below 0.3 and/or download more than 3 GB warning for 3 days and get banned if they ratio would not meet 0.3

Ratio below 0.5 and/or download more than 5 GB warning for 5 days and get banned if they ratio would not meet 0.5

Ratio below 0.6 and/or download more than 10 GB warning for 5 days and get banned if they ratio would not meet 0.6

Ratio below 0.8 and/or download more than 40 GB warning for 5 days and get banned if they ratio would not meet 0.8

"And/or" means any or both.

and this is proposed...it might be already..
- If you downloaded more than 3 GB and have below than 0.1 ratio you'll first get improve warning for 3 days and then...
- If you downloaded more than 5 GB and have below than 0.3 ratio you'll first get improve warning for 7 days and then...
- If you downloaded more than 10 GB and have below than 0.5 ratio you'll first get improve warning for 10 days and then...
- If you downloaded more than 20 GB and have below than 0.6 ratio you'll first get improve warning for 14 days and then...
- If you downloaded more than 40 GB and have below than 0.7 ratio you'll first get improve warning for 21 days and then...
...get banned if your ratio does not get higher...

are you dubmaster btw?

no, dubversion.. i did post in there, actually...

so shall i just crack on and upload some weird / esoteric albums and see what happens?

there's a LOT less information about music than there is about movies - understandable, given the site's emphasis i guess..

Dubversion said:
but if i leave abc on, some people seed for a bit then it stops and says 'completed'.

do i just leave it in there indefinitely, and see if somebody else seeds it?

look, i'm thick, alright? ;)

(also, there's a bit of music on Karagarga and i have fucking SHITLOADS but i've no real idea what they're after.. i could upload gig after gig of music..

yeah, leave it seeding, that way people can tell that someone is seeding it and may well start leeching from you, as for music, like I said Brian Eno works, as does Flaming Lips (I upped the private show..) I'm planning some Coil, maybe some Popul Vuh or Goblin (seeing as they are film related...)

i might hit them with the Nuggets boxed set and Flaming Lips Zaireeka. Shellac's The Futurist. erm,,
maybe a bunch of old 50s soul/r&B comps in one big folder?

all sounds good :)

I did the American Primitive comp on Revenant as well...they liked that...

Nuggets sounds cool

karagarga gone?

i cant get into it, havent been able to for hours, anyone know what the story is...

also, what sort of stuff does elite torrents have? just music or films too?

Thanks for the karagarga heads up - what a superb site.
Time to take the wrapping off my new 8mb broadband with this one...

:D I'll try not too but I probably will - I'm an expat with no tv-cable. I've been relying on BitTorrent for everything me and the missus watch, it's been a godsend - if UKNova ever went down I'd be greeting...

Back
Top Bottom