Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bird flu: humans infected with H5N8 strain for first time in Russia

editor

hiraethified
Stop buying shit fucking cheap chicken made in horrendous battery farms, FFS.

A H5N8 strain of bird flu has been detected in humans for the first time, among seven workers who were infected at a Russian poultry plant in December.

There is no evidence of the strain being transmitted between humans, but Russia has reported the transmission to the World Health Organization.

The workers now feel well, and “the situation did not develop further”, according to Dr Anna Popova, head of consumer health watchdog Rospotrebnadzor. She said the workers had been infected during an outbreak of the strain at the plant.

Outbreaks of the strain have been reported in Russia, Europe, China, the Middle East and north Africa in recent months, but only in poultry.

Other strains of bird flu, including H5N1, H7N9 and H9N2, have been transmitted to humans before.

What were the seven workers doing/having to do, such that they became infected, that is different to what other workers were doing/having to do and have done in the past? If it hasn't passed from bird to human before, there must have been something/s, if it's not human to human transmission.

No?

(Randomness is one answer.)

A sporadic variation that increases potential transmissibility to humans?

Does that happen without first entering a human host?

(That's going down a human to human route, though.)

What were the seven workers doing/having to do, such that they became infected, that is different to what other workers were doing/having to do and have done in the past? If it hasn't passed from bird to human before, there must have been something/s, if it's not human to human transmission.

No?

(Randomness is one answer.)
Who knows what freaky-deeky shit goes down in those evil chicken farms.

How often does it happen that a cross-species viral strain hits a few people and no more?

Does this just seem scary because we're covid primed, but actually it happens all the time with no disastrous consequences?

How often does it happen that a cross-species viral strain hits a few people and no more?

Does this just seem scary because we're covid primed, but actually it happens all the time with no disastrous consequences?

Isn't that the most common way a virus crosses the species barrier? Most of the viruses we have today come from transmission from close contact (mostly living in close proximity rather than eating them) with animals at some point in our history (measles is a cow virus, rhinovirus that causes most strains of the common cold is from horses) - close contact and poor husbandry/hygiene. The individuals becoming infected may be more vulnerable due to fighting off another virus (cold or flu or something) or weakened immune system.
(Have probably mentioned before that I used to work in Defra, specifically a considerable length of time in animal health/zoonoses)

Last edited:
Isn't that the most common way a virus crosses the species barrier? Most of the viruses we have today come from transmission from close contact (mostly living in close proximity rather than eating them) with animals at some point in our history (measles is a cow virus, rhinovirus that causes most strains of the common cold is from horses) - close contact and poor husbandry/hygiene. The individuals becoming infected may be more vulnerable due to fighting off another virus (cold or flu or something) or weakened immune system.
(Have probably mentioned before that I used to work in Defra, specifically a considerable length of time in animal health/zoonoses)
Yes, I think. You'll know better than I do.

But I was asking, not very clearly, how often it happens that a virus jumps from animal to human, but that the virus, now in humans, doesn't spread beyond a small group of people, because it's actually not that transmissible. I was thinking that if this - jump, but little or no spread - is something that happens often, then this current small outbreak may not be a harbinger of more doom, and might only seem like it cos were in the middle of all this covid shite. In other words, are we (me) in danger of getting unhealthily worked up, cos were all already terrified.

(Note that I mean emotionally, rather than in terms of public health precautions, which should err on the side of as much caution as is practical.)

Yes, I think. You'll know better than I do.

But I was asking, not very clearly, how often it happens that a virus jumps from animal to human, but that the virus, now in humans, doesn't spread beyond a small group of people, because it's actually not that transmissible. I was thinking that if this - jump, but little or no spread - is something that happens often, then this current small outbreak may not be a harbinger of more doom, and might only seem like it cos were in the middle of all this covid shite. In other words, are we (me) in danger of getting unhealthily worked up, cos were all already terrified.

(Note that I mean emotionally, rather than in terms of public health precautions, which should err on the side of as much caution as is practical.)

It's much more common for humans working/living in close proximity to animals to pick up a virus but the virus cannot then spread via human to human transmission, than for human to human transmission to occur - otherwise we would be up shit creek far more regularly. A virus contracted from an animal and then being able to spread from human to human is the exception rather than the rule.

It's much more common for humans working/living in close proximity to animals to pick up a virus but the virus cannot then spread via human to human transmission, than for human to human transmission to occur - otherwise we would be up shit creek far more regularly. A virus contracted from an animal and then being able to spread from human to human is the exception rather than the rule.
Thank you. That's reassuring.

If it's men they're more likely to be chucking the poor chickens at each other or doing similar things out of boredom or 'high spirits'. Friends of mine have worked in the UK in food factories and they always had stories of cruel and disgusting pranks that seemed rife in those workplaces, often connived at or even encouraged by managers.

If it's men they're more likely to be chucking the poor chickens at each other or doing similar things out of boredom or 'high spirits'. Friends of mine have worked in the UK in food factories and they always had stories of cruel and disgusting pranks that seemed rife in those workplaces, often connived at or even encouraged by managers.
Grim!

H5N1 strain rather than H5N8 but might as well post this here.
The person was working with infected birds.

Athough it also says -
"At this point it has not been possible to confirm that this is a H5N1 infection (the strain that is currently circulating in birds in the UK). Based on the available evidence, the World Health Organization (WHO) has been notified.

This is the first human case of this strain in the UK, although there have been cases elsewhere globally."

although the BBC article doesn't seem to say i saw elsewhere yesterday that 12 other people are infected in Cambodia. Also see below for very recent BMJ report/article on H1N5:

Last edited:

although the BBC article doesn't seem to say i saw elsewhere yesterday that 12 other people are infected in Cambodia. Also see below for very recent BMJ report/article on H1N5:

yep, it does seem to have around 50% fatality rate for humans so if it does jump it would make covid 19 look like a walk in the park.

Back
Top Bottom