Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blaming Russia

Oh, I think you can blame both.
Assuming Russia did aid Trump (and I'm ot convinced of that) the impact was small, and to focus on that is just deflection away from the fat more significant reasons why he won. I can see why this appeals to Democrats as it mean they don't have to face their own culpability in creating the circumstances for a Trump victory. But refusal to face that and to blame Russia doesn't address anything so it just keeps getting worse. Oh yeah that is another point nothing can be done about.it so again why focus on that instead of other factors.

I’ve developed a detached interest in how prepared I am to blame Russia for various ills. I don’t think it’s in the same league as today’s right wing conspiracy theorists, or indeed yesterday’s McCarthyites, but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

Here’s some of the stuff that I believe, possibly without sufficient evidence, that Russia bears some responsibility for:

• Brexit, largely through covert funding of social media campaigns
  • Trump 2016-present, ditto and perhaps through PACs
  • Ransomware threat groups, through offering jurisdictional protection and maybe some tech transfer
  • Publicising and mainstreaming other types of cyber exploit
  • Amplifying UK communitarian tensions and racial hatred on at least Xitter, and possibly elsewhere, if only to develop and sustain the necessary bot and personnel ecosystem

There are probably quite a few other things that I’d be quite prepared to believe Putin has engineered on no more evidence than a Guardian article, or someone’s Substack if they seemed reasonably respectable. I’d probably need much more substantial evidence to blame Russia for the 2008 financial crisis, the pandemic, or Liz Truss.

Is Russophobia a rabbit hole? How far down it are we all?

TBF I think it would be more correct to say that Russia, and others, pushed at already wide open vulnerabilities that were created by politicians and media types here and in the US.

Why wouldn’t Russia, Israel, Saudi, Egypt or anyone else buy politicians and media time if it’s openly for sale.

TBF I think it would be more correct to say that Russia, and others, pushed at already wide open vulnerabilities that were created by politicians and media types here and in the US.

Why wouldn’t Russia, Israel, Saudi, Egypt or anyone else buy politicians and media time if it’s openly for sale.

The organised troll farms and cyber stuff is something else, though.

I am old enough to remember when the Russkies and their satellites were behind the Irish Republican Army. A Czechoslovak gunman was seen on the streets of Belfast by the British Army, according to report in the Daily Mirror.
The Black people of South Africa could not be given the vote, because the Russkies would end up with a naval base in that country.

Have you any evidence for these organised troll farms, and are the Russian ones the only ones that exist?

I am not at all defending Russia, I am questioning the propaganda about Russia.

They are, but they are only successful because a culture has been created where we facilitate that sort of thing.

Cyber fraud for example, it would be far less prevalent if effort hadn’t been made in moving away from loads of banks across the country (which could and still do detect fraud attempts on normal people) to having so much of banking online (which doesn’t).

Have you any evidence for these organised troll farms, and are the Russian ones the only ones that exist?

I am not at all defending Russia, I am questioning the propaganda about Russia.

There’s loads. Just google the Internet Research Agency, and pick out any content from the sites that you don’t think are NATO propagandists.

This is slightly off topic.

Does any state control the physical internet? It seems that the USA could do so, as most of it is based in the USA.

“The majority of the world’s internet traffic passes through the town of Ashburn in Loudoun County, Virginia, home to one of the world's major internet exchanges”.

“Pretty much any email sent or received anywhere around the globe, comes through this town. If you’ve got something stored in the cloud, it’s probably in one of the 100-plus data centers located in Loudoun County.”

““The cloud is based somewhere and, by and large, the cloud has been based here in Loudoun County, Virginia, in the data centers, the 18-million-square-feet of data centers that we have on the ground here.””

“Today, the internet is basically housed in the data centers located in the Washington-area suburb, which is the biggest data center market in the world.”

Here's Where the Internet Actually Lives

There’s loads. Just google the Internet Research Agency, and pick out any content from the sites that you don’t think are NATO propagandists.
What would you say if I asked you who funds those sources?

Are we going to form an opinion on the truth of claims on the basis of who funds the organisation making those claims?

Looks like this thread is going to just be a rehash of past discussions on Russian tanks in Donbas 2014, shooting down of MH-17, Salisbury poisonings etc. etc.

proofster.png

I’ve developed a detached interest in how prepared I am to blame Russia for various ills. I don’t think it’s in the same league as today’s right wing conspiracy theorists, or indeed yesterday’s McCarthyites, but it’s worth keeping an eye on.

Here’s some of the stuff that I believe, possibly without sufficient evidence, that Russia bears some responsibility for:

• Brexit, largely through covert funding of social media campaigns
  • Trump 2016-present, ditto and perhaps through PACs
  • Ransomware threat groups, through offering jurisdictional protection and maybe some tech transfer
  • Publicising and mainstreaming other types of cyber exploit
  • Amplifying UK communitarian tensions and racial hatred on at least Xitter, and possibly elsewhere, if only to develop and sustain the necessary bot and personnel ecosystem

There are probably quite a few other things that I’d be quite prepared to believe Putin has engineered on no more evidence than a Guardian article, or someone’s Substack if they seemed reasonably respectable. I’d probably need much more substantial evidence to blame Russia for the 2008 financial crisis, the pandemic, or Liz Truss.

Is Russophobia a rabbit hole? How far down it are we all?
They were/are involved in the 5 points in your list but the blaming Russia (or Putin) stuff is a little bit tiresome. The whole Brexit/Trump stuff is a good way to avoid looking at some much bigger problems within societies. It's also a handy excuse for our own ruling class now they don't have the EU to blame for their own inadequacies.

In regard to your final point racial tension and communitarian tensions exist, as you tacitly a knowledge, without the need for Russisn interference. Perhaps they do amplify them but there are other things constantly creating and sustaining them: political rhetoric, media spin, material deprivation as well as extremist groups (the far right, Modi lovers, islamic extremists, loyalists etc). As your examples show Russia's influence is largely online. Even in this arena social media algorithms, state actors and the aforementioned extremist groups reinforced by the way they feed off each other are quite capable of amplifying tensions and hatred online leaving Russia at best a competent competitor in the market for fake news and divisive rhetoric.
I did not know that.
What occurs to me, is this.
It might make sense for the Russian state to interfere in the US Presidential Election, but why would the Trump campaign have anything to do with the Russians? Why would they think that they needed Russian help?
At that point you have to get into the difference between interference and collusion. Russia is perfectly capable of having some influence in a US election without them having to directly involve a candidate or party in their machinations.

I did not know that.
What occurs to me, is this.
It might make sense for the Russian state to interfere in the US Presidential Election, but why would the Trump campaign have anything to do with the Russians? Why would they think that they needed Russian help?

The reason is that Russia serves as some stand in for a strong white country with conservative values, they are macho and non-woke.

Russia in reality is not quite as traditional, white or Christian as they imagine but in recent years Russian propaganda has done a good job of portraying themselves in a way which appeals to American reactionaries. I feel like Americans in particular tend to see the world through a US lens, and underestimate how much other countries understand the US mentality and how they can play a certain role for their own ends. China also did a similar thing by pretending to be democratising to get investment, and closer to home, Ireland did a very good job at playing up to romanticised American ideas of Ireland in order to secure a lot of investment etc. Russia is doing something similar to that to appeal to the US right with some success.

There are also more clear eyed right wing foreign policy strategists who want to ally with Russia to do a reverse of how Nixon Allied with China against the Soviets.

I suppose my question would be, what practically follows on from blaming Russia for stuff? Afaics, at least as far as online discussion goes, it seems to mostly be a way of not having to engage in good faith with people you disagree with, cos you can write them off as being Russian bots.
I'm sure that, as with many other states, the Russian, Chinese, British, US, and Israeli states all engage in murky covert operations intended to further their interests, but I think that unless you have really compelling reason to think that something is a Russian/Chinese/British/US/Israeli false flag, it's best to engage with it as if it's what it appears to be.
It is very possible that, for instance, the Russian state might have an interest in discouraging people from voting for Harris, if they reckon getting Trump in would be a beneficial outcome. That doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate criticisms of Harris that are worth sharing and discussing, so I dunno where just being aware of the fact that there might be potential Russian actors involved somewhere gets us.

They’re cunts, but they’re not the only ones at it, and sometimes with the internet meddling they do it just because others pay them to, because they are good at it. The head of RT recently said that despite sanctions and them being blocked in Europe and the states, since being shut off their ‘content’ has had 14 billion views in the west, laundered through fake and real national news sites and pushed by assorted grifters on the payroll (cf Tenet Media).

I suspect some of the Trump stuff wasn’t just done solely by Russia for reasons of stoking civil war in America and the resultant loss of global power that would bring, but an alliance with far-right/libertarian types. The link between the two seems to run through Orban, but Bannon is a significant node too. Same lot gave us Bolsanaro, but I don’t think Russia had a hand in that one. Mostly done through WhatsApp I recall. I think a lot is about culture war, at least that’s what the western sponsors seem to be in it for, but there’s also libertarian goals of deregulation and being outside of national taxation systems. Russia likely just wants it to all burn down so they can rebuild their empire without opposition, and gain more global power through being at the hesrt of the BRICS ‘multi polar’ world. For this to succeed, the west has to fall.

Fwiw Ukraine was a fairly major hub for internet crime shit, hacking, ransomware etc. Some of that capability had been harnessed in their defence against Russia’s aggression. Romania also has a bad rep for it.

I suppose my question would be, what practically follows on from blaming Russia for stuff? Afaics, at least as far as online discussion goes, it seems to mostly be a way of not having to engage in good faith with people you disagree with, cos you can write them off as being Russian bots.
I'm sure that, as with many other states, the Russian, Chinese, British, US, and Israeli states all engage in murky covert operations intended to further their interests, but I think that unless you have really compelling reason to think that something is a Russian/Chinese/British/US/Israeli false flag, it's best to engage with it as if it's what it appears to be.
It is very possible that, for instance, the Russian state might have an interest in discouraging people from voting for Harris, if they reckon getting Trump in would be a beneficial outcome. That doesn't mean that there aren't legitimate criticisms of Harris that are worth sharing and discussing, so I dunno where just being aware of the fact that there might be potential Russian actors involved somewhere gets us.
It's as far as you ever get with silas

Back
Top Bottom