Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Billionaires are evil

180 ft superyacht sunk by freak waterspout. 15 rescued, with six still missing. Sadly, their personal chef's body was found next to the boat.

British tech tycoon Mike Lynch is missing along with six other tourists after his luxury superyacht was hit by a freak waterspout and sank off the coast of Sicily this morning, it has emerged.

The luxury sailboat was docked off the coast of Porticello, near Palermo, when a tornado hit the area just before 5am, wrecking the boat and causing it to rapidly disappear beneath the waves.

Mr Lynch's wife Angela Bacares, 57, was among the fifteen people who were rescued from the 180ft yacht, which she is reported to have owned and had been carrying ten crewmembers, the owner and 11 guests....

There are fears that those who are still missing became trapped in their cabins, with divers earlier reporting that they saw 'bodies through the portholes' of the yacht, according to Italian media.

The tragedy comes just weeks after Mr Lynch was acquitted of criminal charges by a jury in San Francisco in June, vindicating the entrepreneur after a 12-year legal battle over the $11bn sale of his firm, Autonomy, to Hewlett-Packard in 2011.

The 59-year-old, who was a billionaire at the height of his wealth, has previously been dubbed Britain's Bill Gates after he made his fortune thanks to his company. Its software drew on the Bayesian mathematical theory after which the yacht was named.

What do you call a corrupt billionaire at the bottom of the ocean?

The driver, a 49-year old woman, stayed at the scene, which doesn't sound like the usual behaviour of shadowy assassins.
I didn't mention assassins... I didn't suggest anything... other than coincidence.

ignoring the fact they were very wealthy...it is a pretty shit coincidence for them if indeed Lynch is found to be dead.
Especially as they had spent something like 11 years fighting to prove themselves innocent of fraud.
Billionaire or not...Lynch was under house arrest for a year and spent up to last June fighting to prove his innocence....he had said in June that he felt he now had a chance at a second life and intended spending it with family...

Incidentally..his dad was an Irish fireman and his mum is a nurse from Tipperary. Not wealthy people. Hard working people.

The search is resuming for six missing tourists - including tech entrepreneur Mike Lynch, Morgan Stanley executive Jonathan Bloomer and Clifford Chance lawyer Chris Morvillo.

The father of one survivor says his daughter was invited onto the yacht as thanks for assistance in Mike Lynch's recent court case.

Mr Lynch was cleared in June of conducting a massive fraud relating to an £8.64bn sale to US company Hewlett Packard.

Ayla Reynold, a New Zealand national working at the Clifford Chance legal firm, was among 15 people rescued.

Her father, Lin Ronald, told the Telegraph: "I have texted my daughter and she hasn't given me any updates about missing personnel or saved personnel. She has only said that there are deaths and she and her partner are alive.

"Ayla is a lawyer who is part of the legal team that were invited to go sailing as a result of the success in the recent United States court case."

The oceans have been busy doing good works this past year or so, clearly making up for being asleep on the job in the 80s when they had multiple opportunities to deal with Branston...

Last edited:
"
Lynch always insisted he was not guilty and said that HP was trying to blame him for "buyers' remorse". In other words, he explained, the company was regretting how much it had paid for but that was their choice and, he insisted, it was neither conspiracy nor fraud.

The legal fight took more than a decade; encompassed a long-running civil fraud trial in the UK that saw damages awarded to HP; and cost Lynch more than $30m (€27.2m) but, on 6 June 2024, he was cleared of all 15 charges."

On 27 July, Lynch gave an exclusive interview to The Times, explaining his defence against the accusations, the court case and the millions of documents produced as evidence. He told how he had insisted on putting himself on the stand to show he was not the "pantomime villain" the prosecutors wished him to seem.

The decision proved to be the right one. Lynch's head lawyer, Brian Heberlig, said in his closing argument: "This was the prosecutor’s moment to go right for the jugular with the best evidence he had to prove that Mike Lynch was guilty. What happened? You witnessed it. He reviewed a chronology of documents, with no probing questions."

"It takes an exponential leap, not justified by the evidence, to conclude that Mike committed fraud," he said.

Am I suppossed to give a fuck?...theres real news being pushed aside for this shit

You'd need to be pretty heartless to be gloating about this. But hey, it's Urban75. A young girl has drowned with her father. Another even younger one (1 yo) almost died.

But yeh - Urban75.

I've seen heartless up close and personal. I've watched people I care about die from preventable causes just because they don't have money. The system is corrupt to the core, favors frauds and bullies, and punishes the poor.

I used to not be this heartless, and I admit that I'm getting mean in my old age. However, I do feel sad for the young girl and others who are innocents.

I've seen heartless up close and personal. I've watched people I care about die from preventable causes just because they don't have money. The system is corrupt to the core, favors frauds and bullies, and punishes the poor.

I used to not be this heartless, and I admit that I'm getting mean in my old age. However, I do feel sad for the young girl and others who are innocents.

This post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

The man was born to two Irish parents in England. His dad was a firefighter and his mother a nurse. He was not from a privileged background. He won a scholarship to a school called Bancrofts when he was 11...so he must have been pretty bright as his parents wouldn't have had the money to pay for that kind of education..

.... maybe he should have just refused that scholarship when he was 11?

Back
Top Bottom