Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best places to live around Brighton?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
So my partner and I are considering a move to the coast…..we’re not dead set yet, but want to have a look around down there. She wants to be by the sea, I’m a keen diver and want to back into sailing, and we Have lots of friends in Brighton…. But neither of us want to live in brighton.

pre-reqs are really that we want to be able to walk to a beach quickly, would like to be a bus ride away from brighton and retain good rail links to gatwick, London and for the moment redhill (where we currently live) as my partner might need to commute to her job here for a while whilst she settles and finds something similar down there.

Ive suggesting Southwick and Shoreham on sea, but wondering if anyone else has suggestions (I already know I don’t like portslade, and hove is super expensive)

I heard somewhere that Brighton people are moving to Worthing due to house prices.

But yeah, Shoreham and Southwick are the places I look at when I’m playing “let’s move to Brighton” on Rightmove. I dream of having the Welly as my local.

I have a friend who moved from London to Hastings with his family, where he is very happy and got a lot more house for his money. He’d lived in Brighton before becoming be-sprogged, but found it pricy now.

I do not know his budget though.

Rottingdean, Saltdean, Peacehaven - all near beaches if you find a place near the coast road. Easy access to the South Downs for walks. Newhaven & Brighton marinas nearby. No 12, 14 & 27 buses are regular into town [even night buses] and go to Brighton station. Cheaper than central Brighton & Hove, easy to park. Obviously you're a bit further out from the action but as the buses are so regular it's easy to come and go.

Last edited:
Rottingdean, Saltdean, Peacehaven - all near beaches if you find a place near the coast road. Easy access to the South Downs for walks. Newhaven & Brighton marinas nearby. No 12, 14 & 27 buses are regular into town [even night buses] and go to Brighton station. Cheaper than central Brighton & Hove, easy to park. Obviously you're a bit further out from the action but as the buses are so regular it's easy to come and go.
These are where I’d suggest too and Saltdean has a lovely lido.

Not too far from Brighton and the buses are good.

Hastings is like a cleaner, friendlier, cheaper version of Brighton. It doesn't have the cachet of BN but everything else you want from living at the seaside, it has :thumbs:

Worthing. I used to live in Brighton during the '90s, and Worthing now seems to be full of old Brighton heads. Old mates of mine from Brighton moved to Worthing over a decade ago, and they love it. The schools that their kids go to seem to be pretty decent too.

Hastings is like a cleaner, friendlier, cheaper version of Brighton. It doesn't have the cachet of BN but everything else you want from living at the seaside, it has :thumbs:
Part of the reason we’re considering Brighton is because we already have a social network there, we don’t at all in Hastings

I got the impression the transport links weren’t as good that side

Everyone's right about Worthing. I have mates with young kids there who are very happy.

I prefer Hastings, but it's much more geographically isolated, not a quick or easy commute anywhere. Worthing isn't IMHO quite as lovely as Hastings but it would suit what you want best.

I went on a first date to Portslade when I was at Brighton uni. We went to the charity shops there then back to the firkin in Brighton for drinks. Happy times. 😄

I’ll have a look at Worthing. I know a lot of people are moving there, but I think it might be a bit far from Brighton for us, we’re kind of moving down that way for Brighton, if that makes sense.

Also I’m a member of Brighton diving club which keeps it boat in shoreham, and I’d like to be able to dive more easily. Worthing has a big dive club too, but they don’t keep their boat in Worthing, I think it’s in shoreham

I agree that places like Bognor and Worthing have their own merits but aren’t easily close enough for Brighton. Trains are quicker but that fucking road from Worthing is always awful.

I wouldn’t pop into Brighton regularly for drinks or whatever if I was that far out.

So my partner and I are considering a move to the coast…..we’re not dead set yet, but want to have a look around down there. She wants to be by the sea, I’m a keen diver and want to back into sailing, and we Have lots of friends in Brighton…. But neither of us want to live in brighton.

pre-reqs are really that we want to be able to walk to a beach quickly, would like to be a bus ride away from brighton and retain good rail links to gatwick, London and for the moment redhill (where we currently live) as my partner might need to commute to her job here for a while whilst she settles and finds something similar down there.

Ive suggesting Southwick and Shoreham on sea, but wondering if anyone else has suggestions (I already know I don’t like portslade, and hove is super expensive)

The wife was dead keen on Steyning as option when we were considering that area (we’re closer to London instead)

I got the impression the transport links weren’t as good that side
If you want to be within walking distance of a rail station then you're a bit stuffed [unless you go further out to Newhaven or Seaford. Coast road can be a bit of a nightmare in rush hour at Rottingdean in evenings or Telescombe Cliffs in morning but there are bus lanes so they mainly avoid the jams. Things really fuck up if the A259 gets blocked if there's an accident at Telescombe Tye or Roedean because then you have to do a huge detour via Woodingdean or Lewes, luckily that rarely happens. If the under cliff pass is open it's easy to cycle from Saltdean or Rottingdean, it occasionally gets shut in stormy conditions or if lots of rocks have been falling from the cliff faces.

Its an un-scientific sample, but i spent a weekend in Eastbourne last November and really liked it. Wouldn't know how long it would take to get to Brighton though

Back
Top Bottom