Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best No/Low Alcohol Beers

There's some taking the piss price wise with these alcohol free beers, especially in the pub, but this is the best pale ale I've tried recently.

Yep this is lovely.

Not so sure about this - they are expensive but making them is also more involved than mixing some sugar and chemicals with carbonated water too.
I’m aware of the brewing process and time taken, which is why I don’t mind paying similar prices to alcohol containing beer when I purchase from off-licences etc, however I’m referring mostly to the price Ive found being charged in pubs, an example is the £10 for two 250ml bottles of 0.5% (that I linked to) which seems a bit much.

On the other hand, I was in a cafe where the no-alcohol option (peroni) was almost half the price of the normal beers. I’m not sure what the tax situation is regarding alcohol/non-alcohol drinks, but there’s no doubt some cashing in going on with some establishments.

My other half enjoyed a bottle of Bitburger Drive last week - seems to get good reviews, too.

I tried a Corona Cero today, expecting it to be utter shit, but my god it’s the first 0.0 beer I’ve ever tried which actually tasted (and smelled) like beer. Can definitely recommend.View attachment 320319

Seriously? This sounds too good to be true :hmm:

I'm still yet to find 'the one' but if its as good as you say, I might just sample it.

So I finally tried this one. I'm afraid to say I don't agree on your analysis! It wasn't terrible but there was that familiar aftertaste that you get with Becks Blue and every other no-alcohol beer I've tried.

The only way around this IMO is to flavour it up with lemon or lime or something but by that point for the cost/benefit I'd honestly just rather have a soda water with ice.

For zero percent Big Drop Brew has an excellent range to choose from, the Pale Ale, milk stout and lager are good Award-winning, alcohol-free craft beer. – Big Drop

For low alcohol, Small Beer brew are good too, the 1% dark lager being a fav and Steam at 2.7% another one to try. Our Beers
Yep, love both of these companies. Big Drop will deliver you a mixed case. Their milk stout is amazing - you wouldn't know it was alcohol free. All their IPAs very good too.

I tried a Lucky Saint the other day and I'm sorry to report that it tastes pretty much as gross as every other non-alcoholic beer I've tried.

FWIW I also gave it to the OH who doesn't drink alcohol and she didn't mind it.

BTW I was in home bargains again last week and they have Budvar and Corona AF which are both very nice for 79p a bottle, so worth checking your local if you're interested picking some beers up for christmas I reckon

I've been drinking beer by the brewery whose name cannot be mentioned. They're OK in different ways, even the alcohol free is drinkable, but is not beer.

I wonder if the no alcohol beer thread is the one for you tbh

I'm just reporting on how I find them. I'd love to find a no alcohol beer than genuinely tastes alright which is why I persist with it.

For a while now, my low-alcohol beer of choice is John Smiths Smooth (3.6%). A can of that doesn't even register and the taste is miles better than any non-alcohol.

I'm just reporting on how I find them. I'd love to find a no alcohol beer than genuinely tastes alright which is why I persist with it.

For a while now, my low-alcohol beer of choice is John Smiths Smooth (3.6%). A can of that doesn't even register and the taste is miles better than any non-alcohol.
Try Leffe 0.0

I’m aware of the brewing process and time taken, which is why I don’t mind paying similar prices to alcohol containing beer when I purchase from off-licences etc, however I’m referring mostly to the price Ive found being charged in pubs, an example is the £10 for two 250ml bottles of 0.5% (that I linked to) which seems a bit much.

On the other hand, I was in a cafe where the no-alcohol option (peroni) was almost half the price of the normal beers. I’m not sure what the tax situation is regarding alcohol/non-alcohol drinks, but there’s no doubt some cashing in going on with some establishments.
For rough reference, the duty on a pint of, say, 4.5% beer is about 60p inc VAT.

Alcohol duties - Office for Budget Responsibility

Including the pub's mark-up, they ought to charge around a quid a pint less for non-alcoholic beers. However, that would only mean charging £9 rather than £10 for the two bottles you mention.

This also applies to offies - more so as their mark-up is much lower - so really non-alcohol beer should be significantly cheaper than alcohol beer in an offie.

I didn't reckon that was much cop, have to say
Really? It’s one of my favourites, along with Hoegaarden 0.0 The fact both are readily available in most supermarkets is a plus, rather than faffing with mail order.

Neither will ever be “the same” as the alcoholic versions, but both seem to be pleasant drinks in their own right for me anyway.

Has anyone tried the Guinness one yet? I think I need to try something that isn't just 'lager'.
Yes. It’s the closest to the “real thing” of any of the AF beers that I’ve tried. It looks like, pours like and has that same mouthfeel as the “real” stuff. Again, the taste won’t ever perfectly match, but it’s pretty bloody close.

Really? It’s one of my favourites, along with Hoegaarden 0.0 The fact both are readily available in most supermarkets is a plus, rather than faffing with mail order.

Neither will ever be “the same” as the alcoholic versions, but both seem to be pleasant drinks in their own right for me anyway.
I haven't drunk alcoholic beer in almost 10 years and only have vague memories what they taste like - I just didn't like it very much: a bit too sweet and not much going on. Felt the same about the hoegarden tbf

I haven't drunk alcoholic beer in almost 10 years and only have vague memories what they taste like - I just didn't like it very much: a bit too sweet and not much going on. Felt the same about the hoegarden tbf
Your tastes are clearly more refined than mine.

Mind you, in the old days I’d quite happily drink Carling as much as I would a bottle of 2001 Châteauneuf-du-Pape :D

Yes. It’s the closest to the “real thing” of any of the AF beers that I’ve tried. It looks like, pours like and has that same mouthfeel as the “real” stuff. Again, the taste won’t ever perfectly match, but it’s pretty bloody close.
I agree, I like Guinness 0.0 and probably buy it the most out of the zero rated drinks

Back
Top Bottom