Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best No/Low Alcohol Beers

0% Doom bar. Avoid. I purchased 4 bottles and tipped 3 and 1/2 bottles down the sink.

Birra MorettI Zero is drinkable.

Last edited:
https://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/products/St-Peter’s-Without®-Original-Alcohol-Free-Beer-8-x-500ml-p200162850

This is really good.

(no idea why the link won’t work properly)

I have to ask, why would you drink 0% beer? I've always wondered this. Is it to fit in socially?

I say this as someone who is attempting to quit booze so I can see why it would be useful in social occasions to hide the fact I'm a recovering alcoholic but otherwise, surely an orange juice is a more pleasurable taste experience than a beer?

I have to ask, why would you drink 0% beer? I've always wondered this. Is it to fit in socially?

I say this as someone who is attempting to quit booze so I can see why it would be useful in social occasions to hide the fact I'm a recovering alcoholic but otherwise, surely an orange juice is a more pleasurable taste experience than a beer?

I like the taste of beer and whether it or not it's psychosomatic or not, I find it relaxing more than soft drinks. 🙂
But finding a good tasting Non-alcoholic beer is like trying to find bigfoot.

My current favourite is this Norwegian lime infused lagerish one, Nogne - really delicious.

The corona is pretty good - I had a few in a pub last summer and they are better than most of the other mainstream brewery offerings, would definitely try again.

Seriously? This sounds too good to be true :hmm:

I'm still yet to find 'the one' but if its as good as you say, I might just sample it.
Maybe I’m overselling it because I was so surprised it wasn’t awful like zero alc beer always is, but yeah try it and see what you think. If I’m overselling it saying it tastes “just like beer” I’ll have to back down and say it tastes very beer-like and be done with that.

Possibly after the negative brand image brought to corona beer by a certain virus of the same name they realised they will need to raise their game and make a product which is better than what the competition has?

Last edited:
Here's my top 5 in no particular order. I think all are 0.5%. All are dairy-free (without milk-derived lactose) and the flavour is achieved using standard beer ingredients rather than crap like 'natural flavourings'. None are sweet/malty (like Erdinger, St Peter's, etc.). Nothing against malty drinks but I prefer something that tastes like a beer.

1) Sam's Brown Ale (Sam Smith). I can't stand the guy over how he treats his landlords (and especially landladies) but the ale is excellent, similar to their (alcoholic) Nut Brown Ale. Expensive in their pubs but I buy it for £1.50 (small bottle) from a local beer shop.
2) Clausthaler. Great, in general Germans are your people for non-alcoholic beer (let's just call this entry 'German beer' and cover them all). £1.30 (small bottle) or Waitrose sometimes does 2 for £2.
3) Adnam's Ghost Ship. Good price, good flavour, not too hard to find. Something like £1.30 but for a full-sized bottle (500ml).
4) Lucky Saint. Tastes great but can be very expensive (£2 for a small can in Sainsbury's, I mean, seriously?). Sometimes can be found for £1.
5) Brewdog's Nanny State. Can't stand Brewdog for how they treat their people so rarely buy this. Not bad, floral/bitter.

I’m always disappointed by 0% alcohol drinks. They’re often good enough in their own right, but seldom a true substitute. Then, when I’m in a pub, I resent paying the same, or more, for an inferior product. This seems like price gouging.

which ones have you tried?
There’s not a lot here, so I have them when I go to the U.K. mainly. I haven’t bothered with them in recent times because, of course, I’ve not been there much. I don’t remember all the brands. If I had to have one, it would be Brewdog if it was available.

I‘ve had Cruzcampo, Heineken, Mahou, Estrella Galicia, here, and lots of others when I was in Sudan.

I guess there's your problem then - even just in the last few years the variety & quality has improved dramatically, and the brewdog NAs are all pretty rough.

That said, if you're wanting something that tastes exactly like a full alcohol beer, you're always going to be disappointed. Alcohol has a flavour, and there's no way of replacing it.

I guess there's your problem then - even just in the last few years the variety & quality has improved dramatically, and the brewdog NAs are all pretty rough.

That said, if you're wanting something that tastes exactly like a full alcohol beer, you're always going to be disappointed. Alcohol has a flavour, and there's no way of replacing it.

I think that's why I'm more inclined towards very low alcohol beers than no alcohol at all. I'd love if I could find something that tasted good and had maybe 1 or 1.5% alcohol knowing that I could drink three pints and it would barely register.

That would be a massive improvement on drinking say 3 pints of Peroni and which I'm definitely feeling the effects.

There's some taking the piss price wise with these alcohol free beers, especially in the pub, but this is the best pale ale I've tried recently.

Back
Top Bottom