Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Disney movie

Who’s Marion :confused:

John-Wayne.jpg

Sorry - I literally haven't understood what you mean.
It’s fairly clear to me. And I agree interesting. I’ve never seen that film though so don’t feel I should comment.

Reactions: Ax^
Wait, what’s wrong with Lion King?
Not sure, haven't seen it. Reno suggested it does some dodgy gay stereotyping.
So I’ll treat all of your opinions with the weight they obviously deserve then.
Ok :)
Marion’s not seen it but thinks it’s racist, so it must be racist. So you must be a racist for liking it. Obvs.

They have special powers, being so much better than most people they don’t even have to watch a film or read a book to know that’s it racist. All hail them, in my opinion they should be minister for culture permanently with those skills.
Where did I say any of that? :D

bluth and ten other ex disney people.
As someone who worked in the animation industry for three decades, I can tell you that it was a small industry back then and most talented American animators in the 70s and 80s, would have worked for the industry's biggest employer at some point.

Donald Bluth was a rare auteur in the animation industry and it was his film and just because animators who had worked at Disney also worked for Bluth, still doesn't make The Secret of NIMH a Disney film. When a shelf stacker from Tesco gets a new job at Sainburys, that doesn't change Tesco into Sainsburys.

Last edited:
see i was having a weird conversation with yank friend about songs in the south and thought i was having mandela effect about having see it as a kid
it was never banned in the united kingdom/Ireland as i found after a bit of searching

amazing they never released it in the states but thought it was ok for home video internationally
Song of the South was never banned anywhere, Disney decided to not distribute it anymore from the 80s onwards and I don't know how that affects international distribution rights. It had been a contentious film since its original release and even by the 80s they should have long pulled the plug. The podcast I linked to goes into much of that, if you are interested.

hmm maybe banned is a bit of a strong statement as i've now looked a bit more into it since mation comments on my post

they never released it on home media or methinks broadcast on tv in full in the states although it was rereleased in the the cinema a few times

you could get it on video and lazer disk internationally and the full movie was broadcast quite a few times all the way up to 2006 last time on the bbc

just weird disney thought it was to racist for the states for a damn long time but ok internationally

as stated the guy i was talking to say no way you seen that movie at home or on tv in full

Last edited:
Many of us who were born in the 60s and grew up in the 70s would not have seen many full Disney movies at the time, mostly clips in themed clip shows broadcast at Christmas and bank holidays. I haven’t seen Song of the South, only Zippededoodah and Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox sequences. This wasn’t because of the racism, I suspect, but was also true of many others, such as Lady and the Tramp (the spaghetti sequence, and various songs), the Jungle Book (the song sequences), and so on.

Certain big animated films were held back for occasional cinematic rerelease, it was only the live actions films - such as the Hayley Mills ones - that were regularly shown in full on TV. Unless we saw the cinematic rerelease or the very occasional TV showing, we didn’t get to see them.

It wasn’t until I had children myself in the 90s that I got to see many of the “classic” Disney films on video. We hesitated with our eldest, because of our perceptions of the depiction of women and gender roles in the films (we had similar qualms about Barbies and dressing up outfits and so on), but we decided the societal pressure outside the home made holding bank the floodgates futile, and that critical parental guidance was the way forward.

But I’ve still never seen Song of the South.

I know everyone rates Up but it has always bored the tits off me
There is another! I thought I was the only person on the planet who was bored by Up.

It starts off with that heartbreaking/miserable opening sequence, which would've made an interesting indie short. But what follows is basically an average DreamWorks style film. The animation may be clever, but it's not especially beautiful or interesting to look at. My main memory is angry dogs running around rocky mountains. I understand that the animators visited the Venezuelan mountains it was set and were really proud of themselves for capturing the desolate landscape, but as a watching punter it could've been any desolate landscape and there was nothing in the plot that required such an unattractive background. The grumpy old man is supposed to be given extra depth by that opening sequence, but he's still just a grumpy old man and many films can give them depth without having a lengthy explanation of why they're grumpy at the start. The misery and redemption is laid on thick and I was left questioning myself why it got so much love and if I'd missed something.

Still, it's not as bad as Cars.

Many of us who were born in the 60s and grew up in the 70s would not have seen many full Disney movies at the time, mostly clips in themed clip shows broadcast at Christmas and bank holidays. I haven’t seen Song of the South, only Zippededoodah and Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox sequences. This wasn’t because of the racism, I suspect, but was also true of many others, such as Lady and the Tramp (the spaghetti sequence, and various songs), the Jungle Book (the song sequences), and so on.

Certain big animated films were held back for occasional cinematic rerelease, it was only the live actions films - such as the Hayley Mills ones - that were regularly shown in full on TV. Unless we saw the cinematic rerelease or the very occasional TV showing, we didn’t get to see them.

It wasn’t until I had children myself in the 90s that I got to see many of the “classic” Disney films on video. We hesitated with our eldest, because of our perceptions of the depiction of women and gender roles in the films (we had similar qualms about Barbies and dressing up outfits and so on), but we decided the societal pressure outside the home made holding bank the floodgates futile, and that critical parental guidance was the way forward.

But I’ve still never seen Song of the South.
Disney regularly re-released their films cinematically. That's how I saw most of the Disney classics, Snow White was the first film I saw at the cinema when I was 5 and whenever we went to the cinema as a family it was a Disney classic or Chaplin comedies. Its true that you couldn't see the animated Disney classics on TV in the 70s because they were still raking in a lot of money in theatres.

I don't remember Song of the South ever being among those films. In the 70s in Germany probably less because concerns about racism but because the film was considered too specifically American to hold much of an appeal for German audiences.

Last edited:
The Black Hole for the young me in me (I flip flop between loving and hating the mental hellscape ending)
Also the Rescuers for the young me in me.

Spandex I have a weird sort of Stockholm syndrome soft spot for Cars because it was the first film my eldest ever got into, aged 2.5, and we watched it countless times. So even though it is crap in many ways, it reminds me of some very happy innocent days with my chubby cheery toddler :)

I don't remember Song of the South ever being among those films. In the 70s in Germany probably less because concerns about racism but because the film was considered too specifically American to hold much of an appeal for German audiences.
I think the same was the case in the UK though it may have been played on TV in the UK as part of the TV show 'Disney Time'. I don't remember the live action bits, but do remember Brair Rabbit etc and the zipperty do dah song.

I think the same was the case in the UK though it may have been played on TV in the UK as part of the TV show 'Disney Time'. I don't remember the live action bits, but do remember Brair Rabbit etc and the zipperty do dah song.
Yes, that used to get shown on the Disney TV show as a short, but never the whole film.

Reactions: Ax^
Yes, that used to get shown on the Disney TV show as a short, but never the whole film.
Making the most of what was left of the 'acceptable' bit. Though as you say, I think this was more to do with us not being familiar with american culture rather than the questionable content.
I had a song of the south book as a kid, I don't think anybody said anything about it being racist or even slightly dodgy back then.

Fantasia,which was a massive flop when it first came out in 1940 nearly bringing Disney to its knees, got rereleased many times. It finally turned a profit when it got rereleased in the late 60s. Inspired by the success of Kubrick's 2001 with the LSD crowd, they gave it a psychedelic promotional campaign. It worked and it became a big hit with hippies.

CA95D25A-B415-4E2A-9EFD-E8CA8ED3E2A8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom