Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Disney movie

Mumu's watched 101 Dalmatians about ten times this past few months and I've managed not to scream.
I do like the cartoon film and had the audio book as a kiddy when I loved the story.

Tip my hat to some others but sticking with Black Hole.

Might need more than 10

Fantasia
Any of the Toy Storys - although you could have them together
The Herby films

For example all need to be in a poll

• 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
  • A Bug's Life
  • Big Hero 6
  • Cruella
  • Finding Nemo
  • Frozen
  • James And The Giant Peach
  • Maleficent
  • Moana
  • Monsters, Inc
  • One Hundred And One Dalmatians
  • Ratatouille
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Fox And The Hound
  • The Incredibles
  • The Rescuers
  • The Sword In The Stone
  • Toy Story
  • Tron
  • Up
  • WALL-E

Last edited:
  • 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
  • A Bug's Life
  • Big Hero 6
  • Cruella
  • Finding Nemo
  • Frozen
  • Maleficent
  • Moana
  • Monsters, Inc
  • Ratatouille
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • The Fox And The Hound
  • The Incredibles
  • The Sword In The Stone
  • Toy Story
  • Tron
  • Up
  • WALL-E
I will give you 20k LUTS but no Black Hole?

I love a good Disney film.

I'm leaving out co-productions, because that's a slippery slope: if you include Pixar (The Incredibles would win against most films) then why not the Ghibli films that Disney funded (they put up 10% of the budget for Spirited Away).

So sticking with pure Disney:

Frozen - I was feeling cynical when I sat down with my 3 year old daughter to watch this, but my cynicism melted away because it's a great film that subverts many of the tropes in Disney films. I've had to watch this a few too many times, but that's okay because there's always loads of little things to spot - is that Wandering Oaken's gay family in the sauna?

Tangled - great version of the Rapunzel story with some excellent action pieces. I'd watch this again now if my daughter didn't think she was too old for it.

Bolt - a little remembered one that I think I always enjoyed more than my kids. John Travolta as a dog that stars in a spy-dog TV show who doesn't realise he isn't a superspy dog until he gets lost and has to travel across the country to get home. Love it.

Beauty & the Beast/Aladdin - these came out when I was in my teens and thought I was too cool for Disney films, but they're both great. I loved them then and I love them now. The genie is one of the high points of Robin Williams career.

Sleeping Beauty - a lot of the old ones have some shifty of-their-time attitudes you have to overlook, but the art on this one is still amazing and Maleficent is an awesome baddie.

Bambi - just cos I love this film.

To come at it from a different angle, I've copped off [with age-appropriate dates :mad:] at:
  • 101 Dalmatians
  • 102 Dalmatians
  • The Hunchback Of Notre Dame

1. Dumbo
2. Frozen
3. Sleeping Beauty
4. Bambi
5. Alice in Wonderland
6. The Jungle Book
7. 101 Dalmatians (original)
8. Snow White
9. 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea
10. The Aristocats

(in no case the remakes and I‘m leaving out Pixar films)

Best Disney Film not by Disney (and my favorite American traditionally animated film of all time):
The Iron Giant

Last edited:
I love a good Disney film.

I'm leaving out co-productions, because that's a slippery slope: if you include Pixar (The Incredibles would win against most films) then why not the Ghibli films that Disney funded (they put up 10% of the budget for Spirited Away).

So sticking with pure Disney:

Frozen - I was feeling cynical when I sat down with my 3 year old daughter to watch this, but my cynicism melted away because it's a great film that subverts many of the tropes in Disney films. I've had to watch this a few too many times, but that's okay because there's always loads of little things to spot - is that Wandering Oaken's gay family in the sauna?

Tangled - great version of the Rapunzel story with some excellent action pieces. I'd watch this again now if my daughter didn't think she was too old for it.

Bolt - a little remembered one that I think I always enjoyed more than my kids. John Travolta as a dog that stars in a spy-dog TV show who doesn't realise he isn't a superspy dog until he gets lost and has to travel across the country to get home. Love it.

Beauty & the Beast/Aladdin - these came out when I was in my teens and thought I was too cool for Disney films, but they're both great. I loved them then and I love them now. The genie is one of the high points of Robin Williams career.

Sleeping Beauty - a lot of the old ones have some shifty of-their-time attitudes you have to overlook, but the art on this one is still amazing and Maleficent is an awesome baddie.

Bambi - just cos I love this film.
Ok, I can see the argument for just pure Disney. But why exclude the live actions?

On a side issue people often think I am weird for asking which of the Disney Princesses they fancy most - obviously restricted to those that are adult women in their films.

I'm still genuinely shocked at how much I love Frozen and I have no pre-teen daughters at home to justify me having watched it about a dozen times. I don't like many Disney films past the early 70s but that one has become one of my biggest comfort films.

Frozen. Jungle book. Bolt. 101 Dalmatians. Beauty and the beast.
Pixar star wars and associated but different production teams don't count.
Pleased to see the love for bolt. A lesser known gem. I actually get a bit choked up when he has to be super brave at the end.

Old style hand drawn...
Top 5....
1. Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs
2. Pinocchio
3. Dumbo
4. Fantasia
5. Cinderella

Modern animation....my top 5
1. Aladdin
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. The Lion King
4. Winnie the Pooh
5. Frozen

The Black Hole
At the time the most expensive Disney film ever and also the only one to have a 15 rating.

It's a great film, but really not for kids. The two "kids" robots were sweet but Maxillian doing his thing and the whole tone of the film made it not "family friendly"

Back
Top Bottom