Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best British or Irish export

stavros

I watched a Borussia Dortmund match from earlier this season today, because I'd heard how Jadon Sancho has been tearing up trees over there. It got me wondering, who's been the best export to the continent from Britain or Ireland?

Some are well before my time, and appear to have been very successful: John Charles, Liam Brady and Kevin Keegan spring to mind. I know Chris Waddle is much loved down in Marseilles too.

I remember David Platt being very successful in Italy, and Steve McManaman at Real Madrid. Paul Ince, Robbie Keane and Paul Lambert too. You could include Owen Hargreaves I suppose too, although that's debatable given where he started.

There are probably other obvious ones I've missed out, so let's discuss.

The thing with Beckham, I think he had to win the Real Madrid and AC Milan fans over, and did, on and off the pitch.

Do you want a worst one as well? Ravel Morrison, West Ham to Lazio, 4 year contract, 4 games, 0 goals, 2 further loan moves to get him out of the way, one of which took him to Mexico.

Dodgy character on the field and off, will be on loan at Middlesbrough when football restarts.

Do you want a worst one as well? Ravel Morrison, West Ham to Lazio, 4 year contract, 4 games, 0 goals, 2 further loan moves to get him out of the way, one of which took him to Mexico.

Dodgy character on the field and off, will be on loan at Middlesbrough when football restarts.
He's either portrayed as a terrible waste of talent or as an example of United overhyping a young player.He played for the same kids club as my son but he was a lot younger , more talented but had a terrible bullying side to him.

He's either portrayed as a terrible waste of talent or as an example of United overhyping a young player.He played for the same kids club as my son but he was a lot younger , more talented but had a terrible bullying side to him.

I think this speaks volumes. Never played more than 27 games at any club, he's had 11 clubs, and he's still only 27.

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2010–2012Manchester United0(0)
2012–2015West Ham United18(3)
2012–2013Birmingham City (loan)27(3)
2014Queens Park Rangers (loan)15(6)
2014Cardiff City (loan)7(0)
2015–2019Lazio4(0)
2017Queens Park Rangers (loan)5(0)
2017–2018Atlas (loan)18(3)
2019Östersund6(0)
2019–Sheffield United1(0)
2020–Middlesbrough (loan)2(0

This.

But he's my favourite ever footballer, what vision, pisses all over Hoddle ;)

I think it was Michel Platini who said that if Hoddle had been French he'd have won at least 100 caps.

Gascoigne scoring his first Lazio goal against Roma probably cemented his legend status there on its own.

With apologies to Bradley Wright-Phillips, it's probably best that we keep this to those who've gone to the European leagues.

I think this speaks volumes. Never played more than 27 games at any club, he's had 11 clubs, and he's still only 27.

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2010–2012Manchester United0(0)
2012–2015West Ham United18(3)
2012–2013Birmingham City (loan)27(3)
2014Queens Park Rangers (loan)15(6)
2014Cardiff City (loan)7(0)
2015–2019Lazio4(0)
2017Queens Park Rangers (loan)5(0)
2017–2018Atlas (loan)18(3)
2019Östersund6(0)
2019–Sheffield United1(0)
2020–Middlesbrough (loan)2(0

Makes you wonder why clubs keep taking a punt on him really. Was his Birmingham spell impressive?

Some British and Irish managers had a big impact in Spain in the 20s and 30s. Fred Pentland won La Liga and Copa del Rey a few times. Achieved more than Steve Archibald anyway.

Colin Kazim-Richards.

Born in Leytonstone, started his career at Bury, ended up playing for Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Feyenoord, Celtic and Corinthians, as well as the Turkish national team 37 times.

Some British and Irish managers had a big impact in Spain in the 20s and 30s. Fred Pentland won La Liga and Copa del Rey a few times.

Jimmy Hogan, Jack Reynolds and Vic Buckingham are all thought to have influence on Rinus Michels in his development of Total Football.

Roy Hodgson and El Tel did alright as well.

Back
Top Bottom