Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

Christ yes, The quintessentially 80's film - It seems like most films set in the 80's try too hard to get the fashions right, but Rita Sue had it right - No one looked good, everyone just wore whatever clothes were to hand, you might've had one thing in your wardrobe that was cool, but that'd be it -

But Rita Sue and Bob too was only set in the 80s because it was made in the 80s. It was just contemporary at the time. It would have been a bit tricky to get the fashions and set dressing wrong.

Yeah to Red Road & NEDS, but Get Carter's wank - Michael Cane's a trumpet and as if some flash cockney wanker could go up North and throw his weight about. QS put the Krays back on the train at Piccadilly and I doubt it'd be much different in Newcastle.
Lol true that quality street stilll a good movie tho

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Christ yes, The quintessentially 80's film - It seems like most films set in the 80's try too hard to get the fashions right (yes, I'm looking at you Shane Meadows, you fat, slackarsed revisionist, trying to pretend This Is England was somehow an approximation of your youth when we all know you spent the entire decade alone in your bedroom wanking yourself down to a bloodied stump), but Rita Sue had it right - No one looked good, everyone just wore whatever clothes were to hand, you might've had one thing in your wardrobe that was cool, but that'd be it - One thing & that had to be teamed with the rest of your embarrassing hand me downs, proper last up worst dressed. And a really good film as well - Although Andrea Dunbar disowned it coz of the happy(ish) ending.
Not sure the skills remain to do those 80s perms any more.

My favourite Shane Meadows film is Once Upon a Time in the Midlands, I think because he's not trying too hard. Think you've got to forgive him for less good stuff, though, because he's always trying to get it right. By the end of his career he may have a clutch of good stuff done. Even at his worst, he's worth 1000 Guy Ritchies.

Another good one - I can't recall too many details - Scotland has been roped-off for some reason, and the heroes have to go in there and do something or other.

I guess it's a postapocalyptic, dystopian kind of thing.

No Blade Of Grass?

The movie was called Doomsday. According to it, in future, Scottish people will look like this:

d22f241cf17c8c35fd70c4aa5e79bca4_Doomsday-movie-05.jpg

Or maybe they already look like that. :)

I've never been.

Coincidentally I watched Sweeney! (The Sweeney TV movie) and it has Ian Bannen and Dennis Waterman in it.
I would not nominate it as one of the best British films though.

Back
Top Bottom