Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

I'm a big fan of this.....

220px-Lifeboat1.jpg

Edit: maybe US made....????

Very much a US film. The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes are the most admired of Hitchcocks early British films, but I like Sabotage the best.

My dad is always amazed that I (living in London) haven't heard about a mugging in Munich (one of the safest cities in the world and where I'm from) that he has read about in the paper.

Not too many comedies mentioned so far. I'll go for The Rebel - Hancock becomes an artist. And the added bonus of the marvellous George Sanders. And also a Clouseau film - again the one with Sanders in it and the scene where he tries to play snooker with a curved cue, A shot in the dark.
That reminds me. The Horse's Mouth is great. Alex Guinness as a twatty artist. Very funny.

Who do people think are the outstanding British directors at the moment? Danny Boyle is hit and miss, imo, although he's had some great 'hits'. Shane Meadows is always interesting even when I don't like his films. Mike Leigh seems less and less consequential to me with every film - genuine :(. Who else is there? I'm struggling a bit to think of exciting new British directors.

Who do people think are the outstanding British directors at the moment? Danny Boyle is hit and miss, imo, although he's had some great 'hits'. Shane Meadows is always interesting even when I don't like his films. Mike Leigh seems less and less consequential to me with every film - genuine :(. Who else is there? I'm struggling a bit to think of exciting new British directors.
Lynne Ramsey, Steve McQueen...

I like Terence Davis, Andrea Arnold, Ben Wheatley, Jonathan Glazer and I'm looking forward to the next film by Richard Ayoade. Steve McQueen's Hunger was great, but I hated Shame. Joe Wright does interesting stuff with the "heritage film". David Yates did some impressive work with the later Harry Potter films where he developed a distinctive visual style. Gareth Edwards made the micro-budget film Monsters, which was very inventive but has been snapped up by Hollywood to direct a new Godzilla film.

I'm not big fan of Lynne Ramsey and someone please just shoot Stephen Daldry.

Andrea Arnold and Ben Wheating are ones to watch.
I would also like to see more from Nick Whitfield, who directed the excellent Skeletons, which should also go on the list of great British films.

I liked Submarine loads.
There are lots of films about teen angst but this film captured the callow solipsism of youth perfectly

Dunno if it's the BEST British film - but my favourite, I think, is Mike Leigh's Meantime.

(I have very mixed feelings about Trainspotting; on the one hand when I first watched it it made me want to go out and get wrecked and LIVE, y'know, buzz and shag and go apeshit and just DO. But from a distance of years it all seems so very overly-glamourous. Look at the good-looking junkies being cool. Look how even the cold turkey is cool and stylized.)

The commentary on Room for Romeo Brass is brilliant, i could listed to Paddy and Shane talk for hours

Next purchase for me, film-wise, that.

ETA Just found it on Ewe Toob, whole movie I think :)

ETA2 It's tiny Milky! And Shane Meadows in the chippy, and I recognised him cos of his voice!

Dead Man's Shoes is one of my faves. I truly think Paddy C's performance in that is about as good as it gets.

I was at a talk by Mark Herbert (producer of DMS) a while ago and he mentioned that up until the scene where the characters Richard and Sonny first meet (when sonny is driving past in the 2CV) neither of them had actually met each other IRL up until that point, and both had been getting wound up by the rest of the crew about how mad each of the other was. I think Sonny already had a reputation as a hard man due to being a boxer IRL.
The dialogue between them in that scene was also improvised.

Back
Top Bottom