Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

When I was younger, I watched the Alan Clarke-directed 'Road' by Jim Cartwright on BBC. It was repeated once on the beeb and then forgotten. An absolutely stunning and grim collection of scenes, some of which have been rescued from oblivion and are on youtube

I thought Road was a bit shit. That "Somehow we might escape" scene was skin crawlingly embarrassing in it's cluelessness IMO.

I thought Road was a bit shit. That "Somehow we might escape" scene was skin crawlingly embarrassing in it's cluelessness IMO.

I disagree (with due respect). There was one scene of just one woman walking down a road, talking about her man, and it was a long, long shot, without break and its intensity and desolation has stayed with me for probably 30 or more years.

I disagree (with due respect). There was one scene of just one woman walking down a road, talking about her man, and it was a long, long shot, without break and its intensity and desolation has stayed with me for probably 30 or more years.

Fair enough -I've got to admit I've only seen the film once and I was only young then, maybe I should give it another look.

If you like that sort of thing though, you might like a book called Under A Thin Moon, by Livi Michael - It is quite harrowing, if you like being harrowed, the bits about Wanda and her daughter did bring a bit of a tear to my eye - But again, I don't remember the 80's and early 90's being like that, to me those days were a laugh. Still though, it's an ok book - If you can forgive me for being the sort of insufferable twat who tries to push his taste in books on others.

images

An excellent Ealing Comedy.

I might try that later, I have never listened to the commentery on any of his films and Romeo Brass could do with a rewatching.
There's a really funny anecdote about stealing a box of promotional spicy Nik-Naks on a day trip to Alton Towers when they were kids. You don't get that with a Martin Scorcese commentary.

Its nice to hear white working class english lads in their late 30's (cos thats what i am) talking about their influences and experiences making decent films. A lot of relatable and funny views and tales.

Well, I dunno if that has a commentary on the DVD cos I don't have it (yet) but This is England film and series is fab to listen to. I never bothered listening to commentary on films until very recently and not I always do, it can sometimes be surprising. Last week watched Escape from New York - commentary by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell from 2000, and it's interesting and funny as fuck.

Ah, I have all those John Carpenter DVDs, maybe I should try them for the commentary too.

I liked Submarine loads.
There are lots of films about teen angst but this film captured the callow solipsism of youth perfectly

Submarine is appalling. It's 'hey lets make a coming of age indie flick' by the book. Boring art montage here, difficult girl there, parental marriage breakdown, bizarre adult seduces mum. Adrian Mole could kick it's arse, it's even got the same plot.

There's a really funny anecdote about stealing a box of promotional spicy Nik-Naks on a day trip to Alton Towers when they were kids. You don't get that with a Martin Scorcese commentary.

Its nice to hear white working class english lads in their late 30's (cos thats what i am) talking about their influences and experiences making decent films. A lot of relatable and funny views and tales.

Have you seen Monsters? That's an english flick I suppose. It was made by a an old friend of mine who is mid 30s from a working class background. The commentary on that could be potentially pretty good given the nature of how the film was put together, plus Gareth is a genuinely funny guy, deadpan style.

I can't believe I still haven't seen it. For some reason I find it a bit difficult to watch films and TV shows made by or staring people I know. I have no idea why.

It's not that it is 100% terrible in itself, but it is irritating in that it is so unimaginative, and just coasts by on the 'indie feel' card. I seriously think anyone could have directed that movie. As I said before it's just like painting by numbers, but doesn't have any of the soul of the myriad of films it borrows from. They didn't even write it, just adapted it from probably the most boring book in the world . I am disappointed that it was so well received because that's what the lazy filmakers aim appears to have been, and it worked, paving the way for more well trodden safe indie flicks instead of something new and inventive.

It's not that it is 100% terrible in itself, but it is irritating in that it is so unimaginative, and just coasts by on the 'indie feel' card. I seriously think anyone could have directed that movie. As I said before it's just like painting by numbers, but doesn't have any of the soul of the myriad of films it borrows from. They didn't even write it, just adapted it from probably the most boring book in the world . I am disappointed that it was so well received because that's what the lazy filmakers aim appears to have been, and it worked, paving the way for more well trodden safe indie flicks instead of something new and inventive.

Again, I agree. It was cool by numbers pop cinema. The Secret diary of Graham Coxon aged before he met Damon.

fuckin hell

just finished watching The Hill- 1965 Sid Lumet film - maybe not the best Brit movie of all time, but if you havenet seen it, track it down - its a near forgotten classic

Human Traffic, I loved when I was about 20 when it first came out - then I saw it a second time and hated how corny it was. Now I have mixed feelings for it, I look back on it with fondness and revulsion. There's some great scenes but it's mostly terrible.

Not as bad as SW9 which made me want to bomb SW9 and all those who frequent it.

my god your the best cyber bully ever do you want my dinner money ? i wont say lol again because i dont want my head flushed down the carsey

Cyber Bully?

You do realise it's no longer 1999 and one does not surf the information superhighway?

"lol".

Human Traffic, I loved when I was about 20 when it first came out - then I saw it a second time and hated how corny it was. Now I have mixed feelings for it, I look back on it with fondness and revulsion. There's some great scenes but it's mostly terrible.

Not as bad as SW9 which made me want to bomb SW9 and all those who frequent it.

Cyber Bully?

You do realise it's no longer 1999 and one does not surf the information superhighway?

"lol".
lol oh no i've been put in my place thankyou for that i'm now crying into my hanky

Back
Top Bottom