Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

Got to page seven without seeing a mention of Twin Town.

KevinAllen_1997_TwinTown_s.jpg

Maybe not the best, but the original Get Carter ranks pretty highly for me.

Most of the more recent ones I can think of have already been mentioned (Dead Mans Shoes, Kill List, etc) apart from Eden Lake which I'm still not sure if I liked or not.

Maybe not the best, but the original Get Carter ranks pretty highly for me.

Most of the more recent ones I can think of have already been mentioned (Dead Mans Shoes, Kill List, etc) apart from Eden Lake which I'm still not sure if I liked or not.

I like gritty British social realism and I settled in to watch 'Eden Lake', not having read any reviews. I got about half way through but the increasing nastiness and brutality of it proved too much for me.

I like gritty British social realism and I settled in to watch 'Eden Lake', not having read any reviews. I got about half way through but the increasing nastiness and brutality of it proved too much for me.
I think that's why I'm not sure about it. The general idea was great and it started off being quite believable, but I think they went a bit over the top with it.

I think that's why I'm not sure about it. The general idea was great and it started off being quite believable, but I think they went a bit over the top with it.

From what I saw, it seemed like a good film.... and it had what I usually like in a film - no propaganda, no CGI, no Hollywood acting, no stupid escapist fantasy.....

I really like Eden Lake and think it's one of the most effective horror films of the last decade. It just good to remember that it is a horror film and not an attempt at social realism.

Great thread with loads of great choices so I'll try not to repeat people-
Recent British films- Peter Morgan/Michael Sheen collaborations; the Deal, the Queen, Frost/Nixon, Damned United. Not greatly cinematic like a lot of British films but acting and writing is first class.

Espionage- Spy that came in from the Cold, Burton was good at playing embittered drunks when he wasn't drinking. Le Carre's spy world never looked grubbier or austere post war London.

Noir- Third Man mentioned of course but Night and the CIty shows a shabby bombed out London with not too much Blitz spirit going around.

Kitchen sink- This Sporting Life, only caught this recently and was stunned. You can see why this influenced Scorcese's Raging Bull with Richard Harris's rugby league anti-hero. Seems the seedy world of professional rugby league makes the Premiership look straight.

Gangster- Has Brighton Rock had a mention?
Stephen Frear's the Hit. Introducing a young Tim Roth co-starring with John Hurt and a spooky Egde of Darkness type score from Clapton. Much more reserved than the usual crime stuff and more interesting for it. Also Michael Apted's the Squeeze with the odd partnering of Stacey Keach and Freddie Starr (quite good as well).

TV sit com spin off- Till Death us do Part, this has a backstory of the young Alf in WW2, a great platform to show him in his full loud mouthed cowardly colours. Also some good digs at the 'we're all it together' chirpy cockney myths as well.

Will Bill - Dexter Fletcher's debut - not seen, but heard lots of good things about it

Just did a thread search to see if this had been mentioned as I watched it a few months back and it's the first good British film I've seen recently that sprang to mind. Set of good performances and nothing to insult your intelligence plus a couple of good punch-ups.
ETA Actually maybe it's just the one punch-up but it's better than two of your run-of-the-mill efforts

I should imagine he'll reign in the weird a bit. And there will be know vom inducing hammerings to p[aedos heads

Went the day well
A matter of life and death
The life and death of Colonel Blimp
The hill
The ladykillers
The 39 steps (1935)
The rebel (1961)
Passport to pimlico

Just some of my favourites

I would only be able to add to this list bp,

The Third Man.
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.

The Rebel, I think it has some of the best lines ever written.

http://www.filmsite.org/brit100.html I have few arguments with the bfi list.
Sprocket, I agree the third man and Saturday night, Sunday morning are also fantastic.
There is something about ww2 films , and the films of the 1950s which seem to reflect a reality of ordinary life which modern films have difficulty matching, for all the sometimes stilted language. Pressburger and Powell, and the Ealing studios output seem to me to celebrate the nobility of the common man.

Oh and I forgot Ice cold in Alex

http://www.filmsite.org/brit100.html I have few arguments with the bfi list.
Sprocket, I agree the third man and Saturday night, Sunday morning are also fantastic.
There is something about ww2 films , and the films of the 1950s which seem to reflect a reality of ordinary life which modern films have difficulty matching, for all the sometimes stilted language. Pressburger and Powell, and the Ealing studios output seem to me to celebrate the nobility of the common man.

Oh and I forgot Ice cold in Alex
Beat me to it.:)

Also.
A Taste of Honey.
Room at the Top.
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.
Look Back in Anger.

Seconded. In the late 50s and early 60s, there was a run of British 'kitchen-sink' films, most of which were really excellent and all of which deserve a watch. My favourite was 'A Taste Of Honey' because of Dora Bryan (who played a brilliantly bad mother) and Murray Melvin (who played the gay boyfriend). A bit later (1970) came 'Spring And Port Wine' with James Mason: the same sort of terraced-house family drama, just a little bit up the social scale.

Two films that are worth a mention (though they would never qualify on anyone's 'best films' list) are 'Millions Like Us' (1943), a realistic but reassuring wartime propaganda film, with Eric Portman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036160/) and - for me one of my favourite films - 'This Happy Breed' (1944) by Noel Coward and starring Celia Johnson and the wonderful Robert Newton (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037367/).

And, on the subject of Celia Johnson, did anyone mention Maggie Smith and 'The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie' yet?

Two films that are worth a mention (though they would never qualify on anyone's 'best films' list) are 'Millions Like Us' (1943), a realistic but reassuring wartime propaganda film, with Eric Portman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036160/) and - for me one of my favourite films - 'This Happy Breed' (1944) by Noel Coward and starring Celia Johnson and the wonderful Robert Newton (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037367/).
Millions Like Us is, indeed, superb. one of the best wartime propaganda movies by a mile. Waterloo Road, made by Gilliat & Lauder too, is also well worth a watch, as is Two Thousand Women.

Listen to Britain & Fires Were Started are other wartime classics that may not have been mentioned already.

Wild Bill is the best I've seen recently.

Nil by Mouth

The Crying Game

I like 'The Crying Game'. It plays with interesting concepts (illustrated by the Scorpion and the Frog parable) but I think it loses its own way and ends up a bit dissatisfying.

Back
Top Bottom