Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

best british movie of all time and have you seen any decent ones lately ?

Mid-80s.

I'm not saying that Trainspotting wasn't an important film and for the British film industry groundbreaking film, but that's because it examined a particular subculture and had tremendous style, but not because there were only heritage films around, which can also be very good.

One I forgot to mention is Terence Davis who made several fantastic films starting in the 80s, both about working class Britain (Distant Voices Still Lives, The Long Day Closes) and superior costume dramas (The House of Mirth, The Deep Blue Sea)
to be fair - although you are right - it really did seem like there was fuck all but heritage stuff in the late eighties. There was no decent Loach in the whole decade, and just a couple of Channel4 Frears ones - two of his (absolutely wonderful) films were period pieces as well.

to be fair - although you are right - it really did seem like there was fuck all but heritage stuff in the late eighties. There was no decent Loach in the whole decade, and just a couple of Channel4 Frears ones - two of his (absolutely wonderful) films were period pieces as well.

Though I'd hardly call Prick Up Your Ears "heritage cinema". Another great film, btw.

It's not brilliant brilliant but this one (and Dame Edith Evans) has a place in my heart

league%20of%20gentlemen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom